Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: App won’t let me save device names

Dawgsfan7
Initiate

App won’t let me save device names

So for a while now my Netgear app won’t let me save custom names to devices. It used to save them fine and one day it stopped working. It’ll change the name then when I save and refresh the network map it is back to dash dash. Please help, so frustrating not knowing what device is which. It also doesn’t save the device type even though it saves saved successful. 

Message 1 of 69

And the concerned hardware is?

You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 2 of 69
Dawgsfan7
Initiate

This is my router. Sorry not a huge tech guy, hope this is enough to help. Firmware is up to date. Simply a home router. No modem used with router.37174CE0-E5AB-495C-B1FD-A7EF4C91BE18.jpeg

Message 3 of 69

So, it is an R7000P.  There is a manual for the R7000P somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R7000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

@Dawgsfan7 wrote:

Firmware is up to date. Simply a home router.

Yes, but what is the number? Just because it says it is up to date does not guarantee that this is true. Newer stuff may not have reached the update servers.

@Dawgsfan7 wrote:

No modem used with router.

Something has to deliver the internet to you. What is plugged into the yellow socket on the back of the router?

Message 4 of 69
Max33510
Initiate

Don't be such an arrogant **bleep**
Message 5 of 69

NETGEAR-Community-Terms-Of-Service

Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated.

Message 6 of 69
rjleurck
Initiate

Firmware R6400v2 V1.0.3.66_10.0.50

Same issue Nighthawk IOS app 2.3.1.37 Iphone SE IOS 12.2

The Devices menu allows you to edit and save a name for your device. But if you navigate out of the menu and back the saved names revert to the original "-"

Is this a known bug ?

The router web interface does allow saving a device name 🙂

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 69
AgirlSmitty
Initiate

I am having the same issue. I just recently downloaded the new nighthawk app. Never had any trouble with the netgear genie app. Has anyone found a resolution for the problem?
Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 69
Terp23
Initiate

I’m having the same issue. I was perfectly content with the Netgear Genie app and today, after opening it, was forced to switch to the Netgear Nighthawk app. Not being able to save device names in the app makes it extremely difficult to manage my home network (25+ devices). I tried naming them twice, taking about 45 minutes, and all for naught. I hope this bug is resolved soon.

Router: Netgear R7000 AC1900
Firmware: V1.0.9.64_10.2.64
Phone: iPhone 7, iOS 12.2
Nighthawk App: 2.3.1.37
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 69
Terp23
Initiate

Just a quick follow-up. This morning, I checked for iOS app updates and was surprised to see an updated Netgear Nighthawk app (v. 2.3.5.20). I thought to myself, “Wow! Great customer service!” Well, unfortunately, after installing the update, the issue persist. And, in addition, there are now less device icons to choose from. Missing are the bulb/light switch and smart speaker icons, among others. I really hope Netgear improves their software testing procedures because these are obvious bugs that should have been caught prior to release.

Router: Netgear R7000 AC1900
Firmware: V1.0.9.64_10.2.64
Phone: iPhone 7, iOS 12.2
Nighthawk App: 2.3.5.20

Message 10 of 69
NightKITTEN321
Apprentice

Exactly. I thought “finally they have fixed the icon issues”. But NOPE! Over 1/2 my icons were now incorrect and I had to put them back to the correct icon (if it was still available). And like you mentioned they removed several NEEDED icons. So instead of fixing the issue they did the easy thing and removed the icons that weren’t working. That’s great customer service. 😂.

Hardware: R7000
FW: 1.0.9.64
Phone: Apple 8+ iOS 12.2
App: 2.3.5.20
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 11 of 69
jpcdmd
Initiate

I am having the same issue with my R6700v3 router. Most of my names correctly identify teh devices except for one. I am also trying to change the icons and they're not saving. They'll save for about 3 seconds then revert to the default icon. I am on the most recent version of the app.

Message 12 of 69
Jpdp
Initiate

I had this issue too. When I renamed the devices I decided to not clear what was there which was --. So I added the name after the 2 hyphens and the names stayed. I haven't had to rename anything that doesnt already start with 2 hyphens tho. Hope this helps.
Message 13 of 69
smith281
Initiate

I was able to get mine to work by going in to router settings on a web browser. 192.168.1.1 when I updated the device names there they would show up in the night hawk app
Message 14 of 69
wayner638
Initiate

Why don't you observe your own advice?  the user was asking a simple question and you're acting like a complete jerk.  Does that make you feel  more like a big man rather than a pathetic little punk?

Message 15 of 69

@wayner638 wrote:

Why don't you observe your own advice?  the user was asking a simple question and you're acting like a complete jerk.  Does that make you feel  more like a big man rather than a pathetic little punk?

NETGEAR-Community-Terms-Of-Service

Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated.

Message 16 of 69
wayner638
Initiate

Apparently that only applies to everyone except you.  Jerk!  I've always found that those with your attitude are covering for their own insecurities and lack of knowledge.  If you work for Netgear, you should be fired.  If you don't, i don't see how you call youself a "guru"

Message 17 of 69
schumaku
Guru

@wayner638 wrote:

If you work for Netgear, you should be fired.

He does not work or act here on behalf of Netgear. Looking at the error and problem rate with firmware and App where community members like @michaelkenward  are trying to help users and put up some awareness with Netgear I would have some ideas who should be fired - certainly not good people like him speeding a lot of time helping in this community with a high level of know how and a good set of will to understand other community member concerns. Even if we don't always agree.

@wayner638 wrote:

If you don't, i don't see how you call youself a "guru"

As community members, we have no control on titles, badges, and the like as set on the community based on activity and member feedback like likes or solutions.

Neither the community members can help nor can Netgear come to any conclusions if there are no insights like exact model, firmware version in place, App version. 

Message 18 of 69
Dehatter
Tutor

Model R7000 AC1900 WiFi Router

Firmware V1.0.0.88_10.2.88

iOS Nighthawk App Version 2.4.0.33 on iPhone 7 running iOS 12.4

Using the app, certian names or abbrivations seem to be disallowed, but I worked around that.  All names seem to be retained. (As an example, I cannot put 'HP 8610 Printer'  but I am allowed 'HP8610 Printer'

My issue is that the app does not retain the device type entered for some, but not all devices.  Even similar devices from the same manufacturer are inconsistant with device type retention.

Out of 10 switches (same manufacturer), 4 switches marked with the 'Bulb' icon (no switch icon) stay as a 'Bulb' and 6 go to 'Security'  

All smart phones marked as 'Smart Phone' go back to 'Unknown'

All tablets marked as 'Tablet' go back to 'Unknown'

All 3 Echo Dots marked as 'Smart Speaker' go back to 'Unknown'

Laptop Computer goes back to 'Unknown.'

Desktop marked 'Desktop' goes to 'Unknown'

Both Roku Streaming Sticks marked 'Media Streamer' go back to 'Unknown' 

Foscam Camera marked as a 'Camera' goes to 'Home Office'

Tp-Link Mini Router reprogrammed for another task marked as a 'Router' goes to 'Printer'

Nest Thermostat marked 'Thermostat' goes to 'Security.'

HP Printer marked 'Printer' goes to 'Smart Lock'

Ambient Weather interface marked 'Router' goes to 'Security'

Out of 31 devices, 10 remain correct after editing and the other 21 seem to select another function on their own.

Message 19 of 69
Mdw4046
Initiate

Nighthawk x6 R8000 AC 3200 router
Firmware: 1.0.4.46_10.1.63
App version: 2.4.2.726

I'm having the same issue. I just bought this router off of friend and when I set it up I did the Netgear Genie and it worked great. But then I did a firmware update and it said that Genie no longer works with R8000 model and do I'm stuck with the Nighthawk App. This bug/glitch I'd super annoying and I can not believe Netgear has not fixed this issue... I've tried the suggestions on this thread but nothing works. Also, what software is now used on computer since Genie is no longer working for my model.
Message 20 of 69
schumaku
Guru

@Mdw4046 wrote:
Also, what software is now used on computer since Genie is no longer working for my model.

Is this based on experience/testing that desktop Genie (for Mac and Windows) does refuse to work with your R8000 or did this idea come up from reading Netgear's sub-standard and misleading marketing messages?

For now, the desktop Genie continue to be workable.

Message 21 of 69

@Mdw4046 wrote:
Also, what software is now used on computer since Genie is no longer working for my model.

Same as always:

If you want the desktop genie for Windows start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to click through an intrusive popup that touts the Nighthawk app.

DOWNLOAD PC

DOWNLOAD Mac

Message 22 of 69
kptnfmrs
Initiate

I downloaded the Nighthawk App to my Iphone the other day. Already had the Orbi App (which seems to work fine) on another network I administer.

Nighthawk is on my home network and I am unable to edit device names in the APP.

I get an error that says "Sorry, the action was failed. Please try again."

No amount of "trying again" makes any difference. Doesn't matter whether I'm remote or on the network.

What is the fix for this? I'm tired of having to look up the MAC address to try to guess what is on my network.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 23 of 69
tbassngal
Initiate

We have had so many problems with this router, I am also seriously considering a brand switch. One other major concern of not being able to hold device edits/name changes, is the fact that the useless device names give you no insight if someone has connected to your router that shouldn't be. Apparently firewalls are no longer effective, we now need to purchase additional subscriptions to keep our data/network secure. Super ticked that consumers continue to allow these manufacturers to provide a mediocre product and as a result extended warranties, and subscription services to have efficient and easy parental protections along with data security are the norm. And we pay it - likely for no good cause as corporations are continuously open to data breach. These companies should be including these service in the sale of the product, not as an extra! Sorry for the rant... as you can tell, I too am fed up with these Netgear issues.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 24 of 69
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have spent 2 days trying to set this pile of **bleep**e up. It loses all device names after a log out of the interface or a reboot. I bought it to replace my Virgin Hub 3.0 as a router (which it turns out works better). GARBAGE PRODUCT. I do actually know my stuff having worked in IT for years. This will be returned for a refund - LOOK on the internet - there are hundreds of people complaining about this product. Wish i did my research a bit better. DO NOT BUY! 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 69
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7