Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000v2 WiFiCableModemRouter can't access Remote Management via the Netgear Genie App.

SSWaltersII
Tutor

C7000v2 WiFiCableModemRouter can't access Remote Management via the Netgear Genie App.

C7000v2 WiFiCableModemRouter can't access Remote Management via the Netgear Genie App although I have enabled http and https for Remote Management in Settings.

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: C7000v2 WiFiCableModemRouter can't access Remote Management via the Netgear Genie App.

Hello SSWaltersII,

Please refer to the article linked below to enable remote management through the web admin.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C7000v2/C7000v2_UM_EN.pdf

Christian 

Message 2 of 17
SSWaltersII
Tutor

Thanks, Christian.  I'm well aware and already familiar with the WEB remote managemnt.

This is why my question was specifically re the "App".

With that said...can you provide an official list of Netgear Wi-Fi Cable Modem Routers - if any - that can be remotely managed via either the Netgear Genie App or Nighthawk App?

Besides the above, I think the information on the Netgear website is, at best, misleading when it touts remote management and the Genie app in the same context - for devices that they know aren't compatible.

Best Regards,

SSWaltersII

Message 3 of 17

@SSWaltersII wrote:

With that said...can you provide an official list of Netgear Wi-Fi Cable Modem Routers - if any - that can be remotely managed via either the Netgear Genie App or Nighthawk App?

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Message 4 of 17
SSWaltersII
Tutor

Thanks, Michael, but both lists address management via the apps - not remote management via the app.

Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 17

It amounts to the same thing. Find the app that supports your hardware. Set up remote management on that hardware and then throw the app at it. I do this all the time.

Message 6 of 17
SSWaltersII
Tutor

Sorry...doesn't work on the C7000v2.

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter, C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 7 of 17

@SSWaltersII wrote:

Sorry...doesn't work on the C7000v2.

What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

You tried and it failed? If so, what happened and where did it go wrong?

You can't find the app that you need?

You don't understand the instructions in the manual for the C7000v2?

I agree that your subject "can't access Remote Management via the Netgear Genie App" is correct but that is because you are trying to achieve the impossible.

The Netgear Genie App doesn't work on the C7000v2. It is the Nighthawk app that supports the C7000v2.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Are you saying that you have tried this and Remote Management is not there? No screaming banner CONNECT WITH REMOTE MANAGEMENT?

As you can see, there are many ways of interpreting "doesn't work". You will have to say a bit more if you are serious about troubleshooting this issue.

Message 8 of 17
SSWaltersII
Tutor

So I AM using the Nighthawk app and following the instructions inside said app which say:

"No devices with Remote Management enabled.  To enable, while connected to your router's Wifi, go to Menu > Settings > Remote Management within the app."

But, as you can see in the attached screenshot from my phone, there is no "Remote Management" menu option in the app under "Settings".

That amounts to "doesn't work" from my perspective.

Best Regards.

Message 9 of 17

@SSWaltersII wrote:

But, as you can see in the attached screenshot from my phone, there is no "Remote Management" menu option in the app under "Settings".

I see exactly the same screen and Remote Management works fine here. The problem may be that you have not gone through the rest of the process. That is why I ask for more details than "it won't work". It's a bit like saying "my car won't start". I leave it to you to list the possible reasons for that.

You have to set up Remote Management on the modem/router before you can attempt to use it on a mobile device. Then you have to grapple with Remote Access.

I did suggest earlier that you should read the manual for how to do this. That clearly says:

"Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the modem router network."

There are several points in there, for a start it says web browser, not an app. It also says "to the modem router network". In other words, local management.

The manual's instructions are designed for you to feed in a known IP address. Access via the app, weeks differently.

Here's how it works on my router:

• Setup
  • Advanced Setup
  • Remote Management
  • Turn it on

Your app has to have a way of finding the address for your modem/router so that to can sneak up on it. For that you also need to set up Remote Access

I know that it describes the process using the genie, but netgear has been good at keeping documents up to date – but this might help:

How do I remotely access my router using the NETGEAR Desktop genie? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In effect, you have to set up a "Cloud" account on mynetgear.com that links your device. Remote access then links to that address and redirects the app to your modem/router in the nether regions of the Internet.

Here's how Netgear describes it:

How do I enable or disable remote access on my router using the Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Su...

The app then asks you to feed in the password and username to access mynetgear.com and that the directs you to the modem/router.

Complicated, I know, but once again there are several steps involved that "it doesn't work" is not much help in finding out where it might be going wrong for you.

Have been been through these steps? Still doesn't work? Which bit falls over?

Message 10 of 17
SSWaltersII
Tutor

Hi,

Pleasw see the attached.

• I have already turned on Remote Management via the web browser Genie.
  • I also have already set up the Netgear Cloud account which is confirms that my device is registered to the email address I'm using in the app.

BTW...thanks for your perseverance.  I had decided to give up on this right before you started responding in such detail.  Now I'm really keen to have this work.

Best Regards.

Message 11 of 17

Does Remote Management appear on the Nighhawk App?

Remote ManagementRemote Management

Message 12 of 17
SSWaltersII
Tutor

Please see attached pdf.

"REMOTE MANAGEMENT" shows up in purple during app load.  If I click on it, it takes me to the screen shot labeled "End Result".

Otherwise, if I wait until the app loads (pic #2), click on the Home icon in the upper left, I get the menu (pic #3), it takes me to the screen shot labeled "End Result".

Cheers!

Message 13 of 17
SSWaltersII
Tutor

I also turned off my phone's Wi-Fi and tried.

See attached.

Slightly different results, but still no success.

Message 14 of 17

That is remote management.

Message 15 of 17
SSWaltersII
Tutor

Huh?!  I know what Remote Management is.  My OP question was why is it not working for my c7000v2?

Message 16 of 17

I don't understand those images.

Three incomplete screen shots piled into one PDF file do not make for clear reading.

The second one seems to who that you are into remote management.

Even on a local network, connected to the modem/router's wifi, you should still be able to connect through Remote Management. This goes in and out through the Cloud service.

Have you actually tried this away from your own wifi network? Or are all your experiments connected to your own wifi?

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7