Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 - configure network problems

callierose2013
Aspirant

CAX80 - configure network problems

I bought a CAX80 yesterday and I've had nothing but problems with it since I brought it home.

* The first time I set it up, I used the mobile app to set a new network name, network password, and admin password. So far, so good - I could connect on my computer just fine. But while I was able to use my web browser, everything else I tried to use (Steam, Discord, the Windows Weather app) hung as if there were no Internet connection.

* Reset the modem and tried again. Same thing happened.

* Reset it again, used all of the default information. Suddenly, everything was working. I could get into Steam and Discord, my browser worked perfectly, everything was great.

* Tried to use the mobile app to change the admin password. Mobile app wanted me to set up the whole thing again (makes sense). I didn't change anything, but now I'm back to only being able to use my web browser.

Everything I read about this device said it was the best out there. So am I doing something wrong? Did I get a broken unit? I don't want a modem that I'm going to be constantly worried is going to crap out on me again - that's why I wanted a new one in the first place.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80 - configure network problems

Is this on a Apple devices? If so, Be sure what WiFI Private IP address is disabled and Local Network is enabled under the phones settings for the NH app:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-Web-Page-and-Orbi-app-Access-Status/td-p/2223085/jump...

Message 2 of 5
callierose2013
Aspirant

The devices that connect to the network are:

Desktop computer running Windows 10 (this is the one that can't get on to Steam/Discord)

Desktop computer running Windows 11, which seems to be having no problems

Samsung Galaxy S10 phone, which also can't connect to Steam/Discord via the CAX80 but can connect using mobile data

Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the PCs wired or wireless connected to the modem? 

If Windows 11 PC is working and Windows 10 isn't, I would review all networking settings on this PC and compare with the working PC settings. 

Do you have any Armor or Parental controls enabled on the modem? 

After a factory reset, ALL devices should have good internet access out of the gate. 

What does the status show for Internet on the basic tab of the modems web page? 

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

Message 4 of 5
callierose2013
Aspirant

The desktop machines are connected via wifi. But now the Windows 10 machine is randomly dropping the wifi connection, and the Windows 11 one can't connect to Discord or Steam.

I never had problems like this with any other Netgear product I've owned. I'm not going to keep a modem that I have to keep fighting with just to be able to talk with my friends and play my games. I'm taking this back to exchange it for something else.

Thank you for trying. I appreciate the help. 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7