Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cable Modem CM1150V Connectivity

johnndoan
Follower

Cable Modem CM1150V Connectivity

I bought Netgear CM1150V few days ago base upon recommendatiosn as follows:

1. XFinity / Comcast is only support this model (CM1150V) for Cable Modem, Voice and 4 Ethernet Ports with 1GB connection for Internet and 1GB for Ethernet Ports plus 2ports for Voice.

2. Netgear Datasheet plus advertise in public for this model with 1GB Internet and 4 ethernet ports (but not stated out clearly meaning and operation/performance of 4 ethernet ports)

FINDINGS:

1. Xfinity support took awhile to make this model working with their Internet connection as cable modem (ISO Layer 2) 

2. Xfinity support only make 1 ethernet port to Internet as layer 2, but not all 4 ethernet port (as layer 2 / switch operation)

3. Called both technical supports, Xfinity/Comcast and Netgear concerning issues of Aggregated 4 Ethernet ports rather than only 1 Ethernet port operating at a time. Netgear informed: Design only 1-port operate per time but not all 4-ports as layer 2 design.

COMPLAINTS:

1. Missleading public about 4 Ethernet ports to be operating as design at layer 2, but actually it is ONLY 1 port operating per time. This is not right design as layer 2 for Ethernet and modem operations.

2. Per Netgear technical Support: Netgear designed 4 Ethernet ports for someone connects 4 physical devices but ONLY access into Internet per time. It designed for malfunctioning ports but not aggregation. The feature (software) is in CM1150V with Ethernet Aggregated Ports is in software configuration but actual feature is not implemented yet. THIS IS REDICULOUS to PUBLIC. It is cheating to public for feature available.

3. I asked Netgear technical support: Why don't they tell or sell the product with 1 Ehternet port rather than missleading and wrong design layer 2 Ethernet with 4 Ethernet port but ONLY 1 working per time. This is not layer 2 for Ethernet or modem. It is telleing this product design as modem with layer 1 (physical media) connection for 4 Ethernet port but not layer 2 Ethernet.

SUMMARY:

To PUBLIC: If any one wants to buy this product, please make sure to understand this product is only supporting 1 connection for Internet with Coaxial connector, 2 phone lines (I only tested with L1, but not L1 and L2 so I cannot tell if 2 lines work or not), and ONLY 1 of 4 Ethernet ports (or 2 Max.) to use, but NOT all 4 Ethernet ports as advertise.

To NETGEAR: Netgear needs to fix the feature with Ethernet Aggregated as an option in software as selling to public with this model CM1150V. It is not working as designed. Netgear should make public clearly to public about how 4 Ethernet ports are working to public, not let missleading or so abiguous in the data sheet or market brochure.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 4

Re: Cable Modem CM1150V Connectivity

I have no idea what this has to do with the Nighthawk App.

If you need more help, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 4
JohnM82
Aspirant

johndoann,

Thank you for this information.  I spent over 8 hours with comcast reps and automated responses today.  I was working fine until an outage in the area a day ago.  My internet stopped working and my google wifi mesh was not working.  I got to a good comcast tier 2 person who alluded to what you are stating here.  My warranty and support privileges have expired so netgear will not talk to me.  We got to the point you are describing.  I could only use 1 of my 2 computers hard wired.  I may have had the illusion of using multiple ports because other devices were connected to a hub; I'm not sure what else I had plugged directly to the modem.  I did have to do factory reset on both the modem and google wifi to get wifi restored.  I am upset like you that I have 4 ports and cannot connect mulitple computers for internet access.  I think I paid $279 for my cable modem at Best Buy about a year ago.  Wish I knew the info you have provided.  Thinking of getting a different personal modem, or punt and get the comcast modem rental.

JohnH82

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 3 of 4

@JohnM82 wrote:

I am upset like you that I have 4 ports and cannot connect mulitple computers for internet access. 

The CM1150V is a cable modem. (With added support for a voice device.) It is not a router. A modem will support just one device on the network.

The four ports on the CM1150V are not there to connect a lot of different network devices. They are there to plug into a router that supports "port aggregation".

The idea is that you connect a router to the modem. That router will then handle as many devices as it has sockets, more if you add an inexpensive switch. (Mine has 16 ports.) It will also deliver wifi to your local devices. Modems do not provide wifi.

Netgear's cable modem/routers have model numbers with the form CXXXX. Cable modems are CMXXXX.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7