Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Enable Remote Management

iimichaelv
Tutor

Can't Enable Remote Management

When selecting to enable Remote Management on the Nighthawk app, a message comes up saying “Some error occurred while enabling/disabling remote management”.

Anyone have any ideas?

I forget exactly what model router, but it's a Nighthawk on the latest firmeware. I'm using the Nighthawk app on iOS.

IMG_1958.png

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Can't Enable Remote Management

I run into many problems with the apps. I'd try to enable it via a browser. 

https://kb.netgear.com/976/Enabling-your-router-s-remote-management

Message 2 of 6
iimichaelv
Tutor

If I enable it in browser will it enable it and app?

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

8@iimichaelv wrote:

If I enable it in browser will it enable it and app?

No, not for the App. Earlier days Netgear made clear difference between Remote Management (direct TCP connection over the Internet) and the Remote Administration (for the Apps). That was on the now almost obsolote Genie - the "designers" of the Nighthawk App obviously don't have the bigger picture, and renamed it. Silly but true. 

@plemans wrote:

I run into many problems with the apps. I'd try to enable it via a browser. 

https://kb.netgear.com/976/Enabling-your-router-s-remote-management

No way, two different beasts. Remote Administration for Apps does bind the router to a Netgear Cloud system [My]Netgear Account - this is not using any direct services exposed on the to the wild Internet, and it does not even require a public IP address on the router WAN/Internet interface - what is required to reach it using the Remote Management as referred. The Apps connect to a Netgear cloud system, the authentication using the [My]Netgear Account does provide a list of devices (there can be multiple), and that's what you can select in the App for Remote Administration.

Message 4 of 6
iimichaelv
Tutor

Thanks for the informative reply. Kudos.

Do you have any ideas as to why I can't enable remote management in the app? Or where I can bug devs about this? I've already put in support requests and they're pending.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Sorry, missed to add some words about that. Unfortunately, the failed to add some proper error handling - so we're digging in the black hole (not the macOS created one published these days). A possible cause are some "overly smart" ISP DNS which might consider this cloud system some kind of risk. Try to temporarily configure e.g the Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) on the mobile device, and retry enabling the Remote Administration.

Afraid, just a user and Netgear customer like most of us here - I'm working more the Netgear Small Business products, have many good contacts into Netgear SBU - while the Netgear consumer HCP division is a mystery to me, the only reliable contact for me is the corporate HCP Sales Engineer responsible for all consumer products in EMEA.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7