Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect or log in through Nighthawk app on Android

Robert-Earl
Aspirant

Can't connect or log in through Nighthawk app on Android

Nighthawk AX2400 WiFi Router (RAX30) , firmwareV1.0.9.92_1 (latest). OS: Android 11 on a Motorola Moto g play (2021).

I've installed the Nighthawk app tonight and attempting to log in. It correctly identifies my WiFi SSID and model number of router, so router is identified on the network. I get to login screen and I enter "admin" and password of admin login as is current. Yes, I am able to log in to web interface using these credentials.

The app is repeatedly insisting the "Logon timed out, please try again. If this issue persists, try rebooting your device."

I have rebooted the router. There is no option anywhere in router configuration to enable/disable administration/management interface. I have enabled Device Access Control and it is blocking all unrecognized devices. My Android phone is fully connected to the Internet via dual-stack (both IPv4 and IPv6 supported.)

I am attempting to purchase NETGEAR Armor advanced Cyber security protection, but I can't do it without the mobile app!

NETGEAR, please take my money now!

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Can't connect or log in through Nighthawk app on Android

Mines doing the same. Wonder if something updated in the app.
Message 2 of 8
Robert-Earl
Aspirant

Still going on as of today, Friday February 17.

You know, if Netgear doesn't want my subscription money, and if they're incapable of delivering a mobile app that works, and they're also incapable of providing service as advertised, then it seems it's time for me to recycle this **bleep**ty router and pick up one that actually works and has the features I need, as a consumer.

I certainly won't be giving Netgear another dime. I am thinking that OpenWRT looks pretty good by now. I'll let you know which competitor is the best.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 8
Robert-Earl
Aspirant

Are you suggesting to me that I must "Factory Reset" my device while it is working fine? The app is broken, not my router. Please get real. I am not disrupting my network for this annoyance. I work from home, and I rely on a dependable network. I can't just take the whole thing down for some pointless troubleshooting.

You wrote "Try disabling WiFi Private Address and Limit IP address tracking on the phone."

I don't even know what those are. What is a WiFi Private Address? MAC or IPv4 or IPv6? "Limit IP address tracking"? Who is tracking them? Motorola? Google? My ISP? Those settings don't make sense. Perhaps they do for iPhone users; I'm on Android 11.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Up to you. 

For Android, for the connected SSID name, select on it, then select the wheel cog for settings. Down a bit farther is a View More, Select this, Towards the bottom there is MAC Address Type. Change this to Tablet or Phone MAC. 

Might check out some online guides for your Android regarding these features to familiarize your self. 

Message 6 of 8
Robert-Earl
Aspirant

Thank you, Furrye38, and there is no such option anywhere in my WiFi settings. I use Android 11, not 10, and I do not use a Samsung, FYI, and I'm quite familiar with how to use computers; I am a certified IT professional since 1991. I appreciate the pointers, though. Do you have any experience with Android 11 that might be suggestive of real options I could switch? I have "randomized MAC" as well as "Metered connection" disabled, among other things.

Upon research, it looks like the "MAC address type" option you're referring to is known as a privacy setting "Randomize MAC address". And yes, I have always had this disabled whilst at home. No sense in randomizing the MAC of a phone that's always here.

My DNS is handled through NextDNS, so perhaps that is an issue for this app? I should probably check logs. Although there seem to be plenty of folks in the same boat with this latest app update. perhaps the developers should check their unit tests just to be on the safe side, rather than lots of confused users unable to send money to Netgear.

Message 7 of 8
Robert-Earl
Aspirant

Hi folks, so I have definitively determined that it was my Private DNS service configuration that was causing logins to fail. Once I go into Network Settings and disable Private DNS entirely, the login succeeds. It does not appear that it was any one DNS query that was tripping it up, but the fact of having enabled Private DNS at all. This is obviously a bug and I will report it through the app. I'm going to need to keep Private DNS enabled for my own sanity and usability, and none of my other apps break in this manner.

Having said that, there's a few other annoyances I want to ask about. Firstly, every time I log in, is it going to nag me about enabling Fingerprint Scanner? I'm not enabling Fingerprint Scanner, no thanks never. Can I disable the nag dialog so that I am not impeded every time I log into my router through the Netgear app? Thanks.

Also, "Anywhere Access" feature is problematic. I don't want and don't need "Anywhere Access" to my router. This is actually a giant security vulnerability that you should absolutely never enable unless you have no choice. I have no idea how Netgear manages their cloud servers and I won't have you poking holes in my router's security just to let any hacker bang on my administrative login port. Unfortunately, the app seems to enjoy enabling this option without my consent, and re-enabling it after I've disabled it. These are, of course, Dark Patterns, and they are bugs and they are security issues worth of CVEs and urgent updates. I will, of course, submit another bug report on this.

Just now I browsed a few settings throughout the app, and apparently it has gratuitously disabled my Smart Connect WiFi setting without my consent. Another bug, another Dark Pattern: why disable a useful performance feature? I did not press that switch and I had just verified that it was activiated as I left it.

Why is Netgear's Nighthawk app changing so many settings without user intervention? Is this intended as a security-breaking app or a security-preserving app?

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7