Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can’t connect to Netgear router app after enabling VPN

mikegriffiths
Initiate

Can’t connect to Netgear router app after enabling VPN

I have a Netgear AC1900 (R7000) wifi router running on my Mac home network and recently enabled it to support VPN using ExpressVPN. I can connect to the router settings via wifi using the Express VPN interface by browsing the router IP address. The only issue I am struggling with is that I can’t connect via the Netgear Nighthawk app anymore (neither local nor “anywhere access” works). This is not a serious inconvenience but I like the functionality of the Nighthawk app and would like to be able to use it. Can anyone please suggest how I can get the app to connect again?
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mikegriffiths,

May you reinstall the Nighthawk app and let us know what app version is installed (please also specify if it's iOS or Android).

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 10
mikegriffiths
Initiate

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply. I did reinstall the Nighthawk app but it did not solve the connection problem. The app version is 2.7.6.3 and it is for the iOS platform. Any suggestions to address the problem are very welcome.
Mike
Message 3 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I have sent you a private message. 

Christian 

Message 4 of 10
jasonmraz
Initiate

Hi all,

Are you able to post the solution here or message me. I am facing the same problem and would like to be able to access the nighthawk app to create a guest network while maintaining my VPN.

Message 5 of 10
apikaila756
Initiate

Hi- please post how to fix the Nighthawk router app access. I also installed Express VPN on my router and now have no access on the Nighthawk app.
Message 6 of 10
jasonmraz
Initiate

Im still waiting for a response. I will let you know if I hear anything

Message 7 of 10
sbr247
Aspirant

I've reinstalled the Nighthawk app and tried reconnecting as well (iOS app version 2.9.6.0). I too would like the solution for fixing this.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 8 of 10
greenbuddy33
Aspirant

I have a Netgear R6400v2 wifi router running my home network and recently enabled it to support VPN using ExpressVPN. I can connect to the router settings via wifi using the Express VPN interface by browsing the router IP address. The only issue I am struggling with is that I can’t connect via the Netgear Nighthawk app anymore (and it gives the router a disconnected status when i tap “anywhere access”). I would like to be able to use  a router interface to make adjustments.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10

@greenbuddy33 wrote:

I can connect to the router settings via wifi using the Express VPN interface by browsing the router IP address. The only issue I am struggling with is that I can’t connect via the Netgear Nighthawk app anymore (and it gives the router a disconnected status when i tap “anywhere access”).

My guess, no more than that, is that implementing Express  VPN breaks some of the access options that the Nighthawk app uses.

The whole point of VPN is to be "private", so it blocks traditional ways of getting at in IP address.

What happen when you don't use Express VPN?

You may have to live with one or the other. But you have already found a direct way in, using the IP address, so it may not be that important.

Now that it knows about this conflict, perhaps Netgear will work on a solution. But past experience suggests that it takes time.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7