Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to extender after setup

jhoff909
Apprentice

Can't connect to extender after setup

I setup the extender using the nighthawk app on my Android phone.  Went OK.  It automagically sets the extender wifi SSID to the same as my router.  My router is a Netgear Orbi which has the 2.4 and 5g SSIDs the same.  At the end of the setup, it downloaded and installed a firmware update.  I now can't connect to the extender from my phone.  When I try, I get a message "WiFi Router Not Supported RBR50 (which is the model # of my Orbi)  The App does not support your router model."  Gives me the option of opening the Orbi app (ok, connects to my Orbi but not my extender), New system setup and Connect via Anywhere Access.  Try the latter which also fails - says I need to enable anywhere access.  So, I go into my Orbi settings and find the IP of my extender.  I connect from my computer to it.  I change the SSID for the extender (which is what I wanted to do anyway) which works just fine.  But, even if I connect to the new extender SSID from my phone, I still have the same issue with the nighthawk app.  And looking at the extender settings, I don't see any way to enable anywhere access (which makes sense - it's an extender, not a router).

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 1 of 13

I'm a bit lost, nothing new there, but I can't follow what problem you are trying to fix.

Is it a case of trying to manage the extender? You have already found the way to get in there, through the IP address.

Anywhere Access lets you use the Nighthawk app alongside the Orbi app on an Android device, I do it all the time. It is a case of picking the right way in.

To use the Nighthawk app, don't look for Anywhere Access on the Extender. Set it up on the router. Then, when you launch the app, you should be able to connect with Anywhere Access.

I have a Netgear router that feeds an Orbi in AP mode. I can happily switch between the Nighthawk and Otbi apps with remote access.

The problem could be working out which wifi source. extender or router, you are connected to.

If one app fails, then try the other one. Or resort to using the IP address.

Message 2 of 13
jhoff909
Apprentice

Yes, I'm trying to manage the extender and yes, I figured out how to do it from a computer via it's IP address.  No way the average person will be able to figure that out tho.  It should "just work" using the nighthawk phone app.  I was connected to the extender (I gave it a different SSID) and it still wouldn't work.  I have a fairly strong networking background so sure, I can figure out ways around.  Hardware seems solid - seems to work way better than the extender it replaced.  There are quite a few negative reviews on Amazon for it tho - mostly people having a hard time getting it setup.  Partly, I'm bitching but I'd also like to be able to manage it via the nighthawk app on my phone. 

Message 3 of 13

@jhoff909 wrote:

It should "just work" using the nighthawk phone app. 

It does here. Or rather, it does on my network of routers, Orbi devices and satellites.

@jhoff909 wrote:

Partly, I'm bitching but I'd also like to be able to manage it via the nighthawk app on my phone. 

Clearly my explanation of what to do was not clear enough.

The clue is in using Anywhere (Remote) Access to get at both networks. Remember, it is the router that needs to be set up as the way in for Anywhere Access.  You should then be able to get at the extender with the Netgear App. (As long as the app supports your EX6250, which you seem to have confirmed at the setup stage.) You need to use the Orbi app to control the Orbi.

Your complication may track back to mixing Orbi and Nighthawk devices. Few people do that. They have one or the other. Need to cover more area? Buy another satellite. I have this "hybrid network" because it cost nothing.

It might help if Netgear devised  a single app to manage both Orbi and Nighthawk devices, but the technologies may be too complicated for that.

Message 4 of 13
jhoff909
Apprentice

I suppose I confused things by mentioning anywhere access.  I actually don't want to turn that on.  If my phone is directly connected to the extender via wifi, the nighthawk app should just work.  and it doesn't.  IMO that's broken behavior - no way the average joe, if he has any complications at all, is gonna get this thing to work.

Message 5 of 13
Poet1369
Aspirant

As a senior, I;m not savvy at all. I managed to install the box, and it works. However, I can't log into the Netgear extender. I CAN log into my router, using the extender. The default password(s) does not work. I have tried multiple times using different variations, to no avail. Anywhere Access does not work either. 

So now what? Do I have an expensive paperweight?

Message 6 of 13
jhoff909
Apprentice

How are you trying to log in to the extender?  Can you take a screenshot of the page you are starting at and the result when you try to log in? 

Do you know how, thru your router, to find out what the IP address of your extender is?  If you can figure that out, you can put that IP address into your browser URL bar then you will get a login page for the extender.

Message 7 of 13
Poet1369
Aspirant

Thx for getting back to me, jhoff.

Try as I might, I can't even find the IP for my router. I work on a HP desktop. but also an iPhone7S. The app is on my phone, but can't download it to my PC. I'm totally baffled. 

The extender IS working, but I can't log into it, even after a factory reset. 

Also, When I try to log into the Admin page, it will not accept the default password(s). 

There's just GOT to be an easier way. 

As I read it now? The extender has creatd an unsecured network.

Message 8 of 13
Poet1369
Aspirant

I found my IP address, But when I type it into my browswer, It won't load. 

Using the devices finder, the extender doesn't show up at all.

Message 9 of 13
jhoff909
Apprentice

This was the whole point of my initial post....  I wonder, is there any possibility to call Netgear support?  What router do you have?  I have a netgear Orbi and I was, from it's UI, able to find the IP address of my extender, go there and log in and manage it.  In my case, I wanted to change the SSIDs as it was replacing another extender and it had different SSIDs that I had a bunch of devices (ok 4) already setup to connect to it in my garage.  The phone apps, IMO are garbage.  They don't give you the ability to configure or even see all of the settings.

Message 10 of 13
Poet1369
Aspirant

Hi jhoff,

I'm on satellite from Xplorenet, so I have a modem & router from them. 

I managed to find MY IP address, AND the router's as well. However, when i type in both adresses, they won't respond to the search. I have a call in to Xplorenet tech support, and am waiting for a call back.

I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to configure the extender, and 4 more today. 

This 68 year old fart is getting frustrated.

Netgear offers support for a whole bunch of coin. Over $200 for 2 years, or $50 per incident. I'm on a frikkin pension, so not loaded by any means. It's why I reached out here.

Message 11 of 13

@jhoff909 wrote:

This was the whole point of my initial post....  I wonder, is there any possibility to call Netgear support? 

There is no phone support for Netgear. You do it via the support portal:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

First you have to register your device to confirm that it is eligible for the 90-days free support. Start here:

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

After 90 days, Netgear farms paid support out to GearHead.

GearHead Support

Or you can try to sort it out here. That costs you nothing.

@jhoff909 wrote:

I have a netgear Orbi and I was....

Netgear makes a bunch of Orbi devices. They don't all work in exactly the same way. So knowing the model number – look at the label on the thing – can help people to help you.

You might also find more useful stuff over in the section where they pick over the entrails of Orbi devices.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to that stuff.

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

@jhoff909 wrote:

The phone apps, IMO are garbage.  They don't give you the ability to configure or even see all of the settings.

Hard to disagree with that. Seriously dumbed down to make these things easy for a novice to set up .

Experienced users go for the browser graphical user interface,

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 12 of 13
jhoff909
Apprentice

Your IP won't help.  You should be able to connect to your router's IP.  Hopefully Xplorenet can help with that.  Most times, unless you change it, the IP will be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7