Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't download Genie app or my router's firmware from the Netgear download center page!

droyder
Aspirant

Can't download Genie app or my router's firmware from the Netgear download center page!

I keep getting this same error msg whenever I try to download the Genie app or my router's updated firmware from your website:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/

Server not found

Firefox can’t find the server at updates1.netgear.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

----------------------------------------------

It's been like this for the last 2 days. There's obviously something wrong with Netgear's download server.

Can you please provide an update on when this is going to be fixed? No one has responded to my requests on Twitter either.

Message 1 of 33

Re: Can't download Genie app or my router's firmware from the Netgear download center page!

Do you have an other way to dowload the FW?

Message 2 of 33
droyder
Aspirant

Re: Can't download Genie app or my router's firmware from the Netgear download center page!

No, no other way.

I simply want to hear a response from Netgear acknowledging that they realize their Download Center isn't functioning right now and an approximate time of when it'll be fixed. It really shouldn't be that hard to communicate with your customers on something so basic yet essential like this.

Message 3 of 33

I tried today and I can do whatever I want on their support download center.

Message 4 of 33
droyder
Aspirant

Did you actually try to download something specific? When you click on an app to download (for example Genie), it keeps searching for the Netgear upload server but eventually times out. There is nothing wrong with my internet connection at all and I've tried accessing the download from several different devices, but none work.

Message 5 of 33

Yes I could download any FW documentation I wanted.

The issue comes from your browser. Do you have another browser avalable?

Message 6 of 33
droyder
Aspirant

I've tried on Firefox, Edge (IE), and Chrome and none of them work.

Message 7 of 33

Your issue is pretty strange!!

try to rrest or factory rest your router.

You could disable your Firewall!

Some one must have played you a nasty and sick prank!

Message 8 of 33
droyder
Aspirant

I don't have a firewall. And the download doesn't work even when I'm hardwire connected directly to my modem, so it has nothing to do with my router.

"Some one must have played you a nasty and sick prank!"

What are you talking about?

Frankly, you're coming across as a troll.

Message 9 of 33

Frankly, you're coming across as a troll.

I was trying to do some humor.

"Some one must have played you a nasty and sick prank!"

What are you talking about?

A kid of a friend of mine played his dad this sick prank that is why I say so!

The download center is OK I guess it's your OS and browser sho are faulty.

Can you download the stuff on your cellphone?

Message 10 of 33
droyder
Aspirant

For the final time, I can NOT download the Genie app from my Windows 10 laptop, nor can I do it from a browser in my android phone. It gives me a 404 error: "updates1.netgear.com" server not found.

http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe

There was an 11 page thread about this issue back in 2015-2016 which has since been closed, but the issue still persists today. Here is a link to that old thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/genie-installer-updater-not-windows-10-compatable/td-p/970950

Can a Netgear employee or forum mod please respond? Thank you.

Message 11 of 33

@droyder  I tried your post on Linux firefox, TOR and Yandex.  Windows 10 , 7 and XP on various brwosers and everything fine.

For me the issue is your laptop with Win 10.

Sorry not to give you the aswer but I tried to take care of your matter!

Message 12 of 33

The download server may be working, but something funky just happened here. Duplicated messages.

Message 13 of 33

@droyder wrote:

Can a Netgear employee or forum mod please respond?

This forum is mostly user-to-user, but with some official input. Trouble is, this is the weekend, when they should be off for a well-earned rest.

And, as other people say, there is nothing wrong with the download server. (I just checked it and have retrieved yet another copy of the genie.)

I am surprised that you cannot go to the support pages for your device and get what you want from there. That is usually the easiest option.

You haven't told us what Netgear hardware you use, or I'd provide a link, but if you feed it into this

Support | NETGEAR

you should land on a page with various downloads, including firmware, utilities, manuals, users guides and troubleshooting FAQs from the KnowledgeBase.

Message 14 of 33
droyder
Aspirant

Re: Can't download the Genie app to my Windows 10 computer.

I have the R7000 but this has nothing to do with my router. I can actually download the FW for my router without a problem and should not have included that portion in the title of this thread. I tried to edit the title of this thread in my OP, but the system didn't allow me.

I can't download a copy of Genie onto my Windows 10 computer, that is the issue here.

And again, in my prior post, I linked an 11-page thread about this same issue which affected a lot of other Windows 10 users in 2015 and 2016. That thread has since been closed due to inactivity, but the issue remains. If you like, you can read that 11-page thread for yourself to better understand the issue specific to Windows 10 and Genie.

But in reality, this thread needs the attention of a Netgear mod or Netgear employee/expert, as they have faced and discussed this issue before (as you can see in that thread).

Message 15 of 33

@droyder wrote:
I can't download a copy of Genie onto my Windows 10 computer, that is the issue here.

The problem is at your end. I just retrieved a copy from the link you provided.

The support pages for your device are here:

R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

The downloads page:

R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

has a link for the genie:

http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

maybe that will work.

@droyder wrote:
And again, in my prior post, I linked an 11-page thread about this same issue which affected a lot of other Windows 10 users in 2015 and 2016.

This is 2017. I remember it as a short lived phenomenon.

If this really was a widespread issue, you would not be the only one complaining here.

Message 16 of 33
droyder
Aspirant

"has a link for the genie:

http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

maybe that will work."

Nope, it does not work. I get a 404 error regardless of which browser I use - the same 404 error that many other users got with their Windows 10 machines as recently as June.

And it also does not work when I try downloading it from my android phone or from a different Windows 10 computer either.

Again, this is not something that other casual users can help with. Go read the 11-page thread to understand better, there's no point in continuing the back and forth here. Only a Mod can help at this point.

Message 17 of 33

@droyder wrote:
Only a Mod can help at this point.

You keep saying that. Sadly, they can only fix things that are broke.

Message 18 of 33
droyder
Aspirant

I appreciate your condescending words and tone throughout your replies, but you are of no assistance here. Have a good day.

Message 19 of 33

@droyder wrote:
Go read the 11-page thread to understand better...

That's a completely different issue.

Check the subject:

(1) Solved: Re: genie installer/updater not windows 10 compata... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 20 of 33

@droyder  I do not master the English language as a native, I tried to provide solutions to your problem, I am a user and took time to understand your issues.

Good luck with others,

I'll pass to an other topic.

Regards.

@michaelkenwardYou are a nice guy!

Message 21 of 33

@droyder wrote:

I appreciate your condescending words and tone throughout your replies, but you are of no assistance here. Have a good day.

My answers reflect the tone of the messages I reply to.

Message 22 of 33
schumaku
Guru

One possible start point to access the Genie program and App downloads would be here -> Network Control … At Your Fingertips

This page contains two links for the Windows and he macOS versions - both point to updates1.netgear.com. This is hosted on the Akamai global distribution network, the host you talk to is selected depending on your location, and the server(s) load. 

The link above  ...http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe?cid=wmt_netgear_organic ... would be correct. Might happen there is a problem with the feeds and updates within this network - not much the community members can do here. You could check the IP your WIndows system does (most likely) talk to:

C:\> ping updates1.netgear.com

C:\>nslookup ftp.updates1.netgear.com.edgesuite.net
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.1

Name: 472263.ftp.download.akadns.net
Address: 195.89.6.163
Aliases: ftp.updates1.netgear.com.edgesuite.net

The installer issue discussed a longer time ago is not related to the download issue here. 

Message 23 of 33

@schumaku wrote:

The installer issue discussed a longer time ago is not related to the download issue here. 

Indeed.

Most Netgear kit that supports the genie has a link to the sofwtare on its support pages. Do these all point in the same direction?

I haven't bothered checking. I don't have any problems.

It is a pity that Netgear, like other IT businesses, has abandoned ftp servers for users.

Message 24 of 33

@michaelkenward, @schumaku "The installer issue discussed a longer time ago is not related to the download issue here. " indeed guys.

regards!!

"I haven't bothered checking. I don't have any problems."  indeed!!

Message 25 of 33
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7