Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can’t get app to connect to router

jtstarr17
Aspirant

Can’t get app to connect to router

I got a new phone and downloaded the NETGEAR app but it can’t connect to the router. So I can’t set up the app to work? I think it is trying to connect to the default network name and password instead of the one I changed it to after originally setting it up.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Can’t get app to connect to router

Do you have the phone and the router's wifi?

What modem are you using?

Message 2 of 7
jtstarr17
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Do you have the phone and the router's wifi?

I have my phone, home security panel and laptop that all connect to WIFI off the router. But when I try to set up the app it says it can't connect to the router. It originally connected when I first set up the app on my old phone when I first got the router. 

What modem are you using?

I have never had a modem. I have just been running off wifi from the router plugged into the wall.

Message 3 of 7

@jtstarr17 wrote:
I got a new phone and downloaded the NETGEAR app ....

Which app?

Nighthawk? Netgear genie?

Message 4 of 7
jtstarr17
Aspirant

"NETGEAR Nighthawk - WiFi App"

Message 5 of 7

@plemans asked about the modem. You replied

"the router plugged into the wall."

Unfortunately, that is ambiguous. It doesn't tell us how the internet gets to you.

Is this a fibre optic service with an "ONT" socket on the wall? Or is it, for example, an apartment with an Ethernet service?

Message 6 of 7
jtstarr17
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@plemansasked about the modem. You replied

"the router plugged into the wall."

Unfortunately, that is ambiguous. It doesn't tell us how the internet gets to you.

Is this a fibre optic service with an "ONT" socket on the wall? Or is it, for example, an apartment with an Ethernet service?

Sorry, I don't know what "ONT" is. We have fiber internet hooked up to our house and just have to plug into the port on the wall to connect. I have the router plugged in directly to the internet port on the wall and run everything else off that. Everything else connects just fine, exept when I try to set up the app. It asks to join the network, but shows the default network name that's on the sticker on the router then it says it can't connect to my router. It doesn't give me an option to change which network it is trying to join or the password it is trying to use. I'm guessing it is trying to connect with the default factory network name and password, but I changed those after originally setting up the app on my old phone.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7