Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't login to RAX120 with v2.20.3.2515 Android Nighthawk App

LLWarrenP
Aspirant

Can't login to RAX120 with v2.20.3.2515 Android Nighthawk App

I've been having some odd issues with the Nighthawk app of late - though I have to admit I am not sure when this could have started since I hadn't used it in the last few months.  Previously I had no issues logging into the AX6000 WiFi Router (RAX120) with the Android app but now I can't get in at all.

Every time I simply get the "Logon timed out, try again.  If this issue persists, try rebooting your device."  The error pops up almost immediately regardless of if I am using the right or wrong admin password and, yes, I can get in on the router's web admin interface without issues.  I'm wondering if the app is even trying since there are no errors or other entries in the router logs.  Needless to say, the router and mobile device have been rebooted.  I'm running the latest Android 13 release and made sure that the router firmware was up to date.  I'm also using the latest Nighthawk app which is v2.20.3.2515 currently.

Any ideas here?  I've deleted the app cache, reinstalled the app, and of course rebooted both the phone and router.  I've also tried this with data and Wifi and just Wifi on the mobile device but no luck.

Message 1 of 8

Re: Can't login to RAX120 with v2.20.3.2515 Android Nighthawk App

What's the firmware on the RAX120?

App version and firmware are tied together.

Message 2 of 8
LLWarrenP
Aspirant

Everything is at the latest rev...in this case the router firmware is v1.2.8.40 currently. This seems like it almost has to be an issue with the app doing some caching in the cloud. Scary as I'm unsure of what info your Netgear account has about your router.
Message 3 of 8
smeddy
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.  There was something that Netgear put out the app not logging in to WIFI 5 routers, but I wonder if this extends to certain WiFI 6 routers.  They say they will have a fix by 11/18.  I hope that fixs it.  

T

Message 4 of 8

@smeddy wrote:

I am having the same problem. 

Join the club

Nighthawk App Logon Timeout - NETGEAR Communities

That's one of many discussions of this issue.

The app has been broken for a month.

Netgear has said next to nothing and shows no sign of being in a hurry to fix things.

Until they fix it, where possible use the browser graphical user interface (GUI) to manage your devices.

@smeddy wrote:

There was something that Netgear put out the app not logging in to WIFI 5 routers, but I wonder if this extends to certain WiFI 6 routers. 

I saw that too. (Do you have a link?)

It is pretty generic and covers all routers. Wifi 5 is a red herring. It probably means that Netgear has gone out of its way to force everyone to use an app to set things up, and then releases an app that isn't up to the job.

They say they will have a fix by 11/18. 

Where did you see that? So far Netgear has gone into ostrich "head in sand" mode.

Message 5 of 8
LLWarrenP
Aspirant

So I found an odd but seemingly reliable way to get this resolved.  I've done this twice now in the last few weeks since I reported this issue above.

Basically, on your mobile device, disable the WiFi connection such that you are only connected to the internet from the outside (i.e., your carrier's 4G/5G connection).  Then when you launch the Android Nighthawk App, it will ask you to connect via Anywhere Access since it cannot get to the router.  This seems to succeed and then you will be able to manage the router as normal and it seems to work reliably after you do this the first time and with WiFi enabled.  This tells me the issue is with the app and something it must have preset or cached.

No clue as to why this works as I found it out accidentally but as I mentioned, it behaved the same way twice and on different Android mobile devices but with the same router.  I'm not sure if this would solve every issue here but it's worth a shot.

Message 6 of 8
smeddy
Aspirant

I found the link, but I may have misread it.   It seems it has to do with WiFI 5 router install using an Android device.  It may not apply here.

Why can’t I log in or install my WiFi 5 (AC) router or mesh system with the NETGEAR Nighthawk or Orb...

Sorry about that.

I tried the Anywhere Access but it can't find my router.  I don't know why.  I have not used it before, so I don't know if there is any additional setup.

Thanks!

Smeddy

Message 7 of 8

@smeddy wrote:

I tried the Anywhere Access but it can't find my router.  I don't know why. 

That'll be the bust app issue.

If that doesn't work, then the old faithful GUI trick is the one to try.

How do I install my NETGEAR router using the router web interface? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That's the next layer down in the link you reposted.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7