Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't login to router via Genie

daveke
Guide

Can't login to router via Genie

While I can login to my router (WNDR4500) via my browser (Chrome and IE9), I cannot login to Router Settings via Genie on my PC (Win7). I receive a message of "Login failed. The router response timed out." I get a similar response when I try to access the NetGear Genie app via my iPad (3rd gen.): "Action timed out. Please try again.". This was not always the case. I first noticed over a month ago when I could no longer access the Network Map via Genie on my iPad.

The router is otherwise working fine, but I would like to re-establish the functionality of NetGear Genie app on my iPad--any ideas? I've tried deleting the app and re-installing, but that has not worked. I thought this problem was solely on my iPad, but only recently discovered the inability to login via the Genie app on my PC as well.
Message 1 of 109

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jwilson484,

Please try the following steps:

1. Uninstall and re-install the Genie apps/programs from your devices.

2. Reboot the router.

3. If it is an option, you can try doing a factory reset on the router.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 50 of 109

All Replies
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

power off the unit for 30sec, power back and use browser if that let you get back in
Message 2 of 109
Mark68
Guide

I can't login either with Genie tells me computer is not connected.
Also when I want to login through router.net , no go.
Only when I login through ip-address of 4500 it works.( fixed ip off 4500).
Message 3 of 109
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Using IP oh the router is normal procedure .

I would not be picky abou routetlogin URL
Message 4 of 109
highlandstarr
Initiate

I'm having the same problem - I can't access my router from Genie at all. It tells me the password is wrong and times out (I tried the default password and the new one I changed it to on the website - neither works.) I can access through the website www.routerloging.net. This is a brand new router R6300v2 and service. This is seriously annoying and I would like to be able to use Genie from my tablet and phone. Anyone have any answers? And I HAVE tried unplugging the router. No luck.

Message 5 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

HI @highlandstarr,

1. What is the version of the NETGEAR Genie program?

2. What is the operating system of the device?

3. Have you tried using another device?

4. What is the firmware version of the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 109
highlandstarr
Initiate

@DexterJB wrote:

HI @highlandstarr,

1. What is the version of the NETGEAR Genie program?

2. What is the operating system of the device?

3. Have you tried using another device?

4. What is the firmware version of the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Hi Dexter,

I don't know exactly what version of Genie I had because I uninstalled it from all of my devices (so yes, I have tried using another device - 3 in fact) but it should've been the most current version because I only downloaded and tried it within the last week (and just yesterday on my Samsung Galaxy S4.) The firmware on my r6300v2 router is current also (at least according to the Netgear routerlogin.net website) and is V1.0.3.6_1.0.63CH.

I was informed, last night by email, by a rude Netgear CS rep, that "Since [my] device is not a retail product, the NETGEAR genie will not work on your router." I rent my router from Charter (brand new router; brand new ISP) because I didn't want to buy a Netgear router until I checked it out. I've heard too many horror stories about unreliability and bad customer service. I'm really not happy with Netgear for not allowing the Netgear Genie app to work with rented products. If this is actually true, and I cannot get Genie to work with my router, then I definitely won't be purchasing any Netgear product in the future. This is just bad practice for customer satisfaction. It is a real inconvenience (and sometimes an impossibility) for me to have to use a computer and web browser to log onto the routerlogin.net site to do any administration of my device.

If it is not true, that the Genie app won't work with any rented Netgear product, please tell me how I can get it to work with my Netgear R6300v2. If not, thank you for responding and trying - and please let the "powers that be" know that they are not helping Netgear's reputation, which has been slipping very badly recently, by making unhappy customers like me (who would've purchased if they hadn't taken this position.)

Thank you..

Message 7 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @highlandstarr,

I would like to apologize if we have not met your expectations with the support that was provided to you. I will do my best to clarify everything.

I have checked on our system and was able to confirm that the registered device is indeed an ISP supplied unit. As what you have also confirmed, the firmware version indicates (with CH suffix) that it is a modified version as normally required by most of our partner ISP's. Given the nature of the modified firmware, most functionality of the NETGEAR Genie app will not be compatible with the router due to certain restrictions that were made. As it stands, we will not be able to work our way around it due to the said requirements of our partner ISP's. This is an unfortunate interoperability limitation. However, if you are considering getting your very own NETGEAR router from a retail outlet without the modified firmware, the NETGEAR Genie app will most definitely work with it.

We value your input in all aspects of our service, whether technical or feedback related, which is the purpose of NETGEAR having multiple channels of support. Rest assured, no feedback will go unnoticed.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 109
Johnb1160
Initiate

Interesting situation on the modified firmware, I am busy looking for reasons I cant utilize "Genie" for parental controls and this thread is on target with my issues and I have gotten the Router V6300v2 from Charter as well. My question to Charter was: Will this modem have parental controls and they advised through a download it does. So my question, is there a Chrter version of "Genie" or parent controls?

Thank you for the info.

John

Message 9 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Johnb1160,

As it stands, there is no NETGEAR Genie that will specifically work with the Charter firmware version. Charter will be the ones who can confirm if the modified firmware can work with the standard NETGEAR Genie program.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team 

Message 10 of 109
Booksco
Tutor

Someone at Netgear must know why so many people have this problem. Can't login using www.routerlogin.net either. Lots of views of issues but not many replies.

Message 11 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Booksco,

1. Have you tried using another browser?

2. Have you tried using another device?

3. Did you change the router password?

4. What is the model number of your router?

5. What is the firmware version?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 109
Booksco
Tutor

1. Have you tried using another browser?  YES ON COMPUTER AND LAPTOP

2. Have you tried using another device? COMPUTER AND LAPTOP

3. Did you change the router password? I CHANGED IT FROM DEFAULT PASSWORD. HOWEVER I WAS ABLE TO SIGN IN EARLIER (like two months ago) WITH NEW PASSWORD AND NOW I CAN'T

4. What is the model number of your router? R6250    S/N 3DK7547FA140F

5. What is the firmware version? I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS. I HAVE WINDOWS 7.

Message 13 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Booksco,

Does someone else have access to the router? It is possible that the password has been modified. If you this is not the case, I recommend resetting the router back to factory settings then reconfigure it. You may refer to the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 14 of 109
Booksco
Tutor

Losing all the settings on the router is scary to me. I set it up using Genie but who knows if I'll be able to use Genie.  No one has reset the password.

Message 15 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Booksco,

You may refer to the link below on how to reconfigure the router settings. As an option, you may also contact support over the phone using the second link.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22697

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 16 of 109
dailey78
Aspirant

From any of my devices I can connect to the router and use the internet.  However, I cannot use Genie's functionality from most of my devices.

I just purchased the R8500 and I'm having the same problem.  I can't login to the router using Genie from my iPad, iPhone6, or PC.  I tried routerlogin.net, routerlogin.com, http://192.168.0.1, http://192.168.1.1, etc.  I checked my ipconfig using the command prompt and http://192.168.0.1 was the correct ip address.  However, I still cannot use Genie from any of the 3 devices to login to the router and change settings.  I used a fourth device, Apple laptop, and it works fine with Genie.  I unplugged the cable modem and router.  This did not fix it.  I reset the router.  This did not fix it either.  The only way I can connect to this router using Genie and my PC is to use a wired connection from the PC to the router.

Also, the network map does not show many devices that are actually connected to the router and able to use the wifi internet connection.  For example, I can put my iPhone into airplane mode with wifi only and use the router's wifi connection to browse the internet.  However, the router's network map does not show the iPhone 6+ as connected.  I refreshed the map and it still does not show the iPhone 6+ as connected to the router.  The network map only shows the hardwired connections.  It's like the router doesn't know that the ipad, iphone, and PC are connected to it, although those devices are using the router's connection to reach the internet.

Message 17 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dailey78,

1. What is the model number of the modem that you are using along with the R8500?

2. Have you tried manually re-flashing the router's firmware?

3. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

4. Do the NETGEAR apps work on the mobile devices?

5. What is the firmware version of the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 18 of 109
Jnacreations
Aspirant

My purchased netgear has stopped working on the genie app IOS 9.3 why? Seems odd this happened and I only had this product just over three months and paid a lot for it....
Message 19 of 109
luv2wire
Aspirant

Im also having a simular issue w/my router.  I cant access my router at ALL. Ive changed browsers and computers (windows and mac), did a hard reset 3 times and I still cant access my router. Just the little window keep popping up asking for user and password.  The wireless 2.4 and 5.0ghz is working so i can use that but no access to my router via computers or genie.  What can i do?

Message 20 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @luv2wire,

1. Have you tried using the IP address of router?

2. When performing a factory reset, please make sure the correct steps are taken. You may refer to the link below.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 21 of 109
wliu2
Guide

I have a similar issue. I can login to my N300 router (WNR3500L) via routerlogin.net in browsers, but not from Netgear genie app in my windows 10 Pro PC. The error message is "Login failed. The router response timed out".  I upgraded it to the latest firmware but it doesn't help. The only thing special is I set my router LAN IP address to 192.168.10.1 instead of the default one (192.168.0.1).

Hardware VersionWNR3500L
Firmware VersionV1.2.2.48_35.0.55NA
GUI Language VersionV1.2.2.44_2.1.12.1
Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 22 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @wliu2,

1. What is the version of the NETGEAR Genie program that you have installed?

2. Are you able to login using the NETGEAR Genie app/program on another device (smartphone, tablet, another computer)?

3. We highly recommend performing a factory reset after updating the router's firmware.

4. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the NETGEAR Genie program?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 23 of 109
wliu2
Guide

Hi @DexterJB

Here are the answers for your questions:

1. What is the version of the NETGEAR Genie program that you have installed?

-> 2.4.26

2. Are you able to login using the NETGEAR Genie app/program on another device (smartphone, tablet, another computer)?

-> Tried my iPAD air 2. It was able to login once at the beginning. It even helped me to create a openDNS account, then complain no internet connection, even the browser can access internet w/o issue. And all logins failed thereafter. Looks my router (WNR3500L) is not supported by  the Genie? Also on my PC, Network Map always shows connected devices correctly.

3. We highly recommend performing a factory reset after updating the router's firmware.

-> Factory reset not done. similar concerns as those above. Don't want to lose my settings

4. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the NETGEAR Genie program?

-> Yes, no luck with uninstall/re-install.

Regards,

Message 24 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @wliu2,

Your router model is not supported by the NETGEAR Genie program. You may refer to the link below for the list.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24686/~/netgear-genie-supported-routers

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 25 of 109
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7