Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't login to router via Genie

wliu2
Guide

Hi @DexterJB,

Thanks for your confirmation. My interests are more in the parental control. Could you confirm WNR3500Lv2 and WNDR4500 fully support all parental control features provided by Genie (per device schedule, different policy such as websites blocking for different time slots)? If not, could you tell me which routers have full parental control support?

Thank you,

Message 26 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @wliu2,

The WNDR4500 is supported by the NETGEAR Genie and does have the Parental Controls feature. If you are looking to get a newer router, you can look into any of the NETGEAR "R series" routers. You may find the links below helpful.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25687

https://netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 27 of 109
topper12
Aspirant

THANKS for the advice.  The reset worked for me.  Pulled the plug for 1 minute and then I logged in with no problem!

Message 28 of 109
agent86
Star

Hello,

I have read this entire thread and none of the suggestions has resolved my issue. I installed the Genie app on my iPad more than a year ago - when the GenieApp was first introduced. I kept the app updated with all of the updates. The app worked fine with my router (WNDR3700v3). Suddenly, meaning just within the last two months, I was no longer able to connect using the Genie app - I get the message informing me that my "router is not found or is not supported." "Also, ensure the device is not connected to the guest network and IPv6 is not enabled". None of which are applicable. Clearly, my router is supported - just review the list. I have the lastest firmware: V1.0.0.38_1.0.31.

Recently, I wanted to begin using parental controls and discovered the problem. I tried many things such as removing the app and reinstalling it. I installed the Windows version of the app on my Windows 7 desktop - it does not let me log in. I also reset my router and rebooted it several times, which yields an interesting circumstance. After a reboot, I am able to log into the router without issue using the iPad Genie app until I attempt to access parental controls or some other feature, then the app prompts me to log into the WiFi again. Also, I recall the parental contorls feature prompting me with a message indicating that I was not connected to the Internet, which was false - I was certainly connected to the Internet. Whenever I attempt to log in using the Windows Genie App, this is the log entry: [Admin login] from source 192.168.1.12, Monday, Oct 03,2016 23:22:01. The error message: "Login failed. The router response timed out." Any attempt to access the router using Genie on the iPad does not generate a log entry. The Home button on Genie app on the Windows machine yields information about the connection. I am able to view the network map. But, I am not able to access Readyshare, Router Settings, or Parental Controls.

Finally, I tried entering the router ip address manually, but this did not change the result.

What has changed? This is the question because the app worked, at least for me, about two months ago - now, it does not work.

I would appreciate an answer because I need to initiate those parental controls. When I purchased the router, the parental controls was an inducement to the purchase. It is very disappointing now that I need to use the feature, the software on a supported router does not work. I feel Netgear needs to fix this problem and not ignore it like Adobe ignored problems with their Acobat software after version 9.

Thanks,

agent86.

Message 29 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @agent86,

Let me check on this.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 30 of 109
pope
Initiate

this is happening to me as well and yes it is within the last 1-2 months. the reason i got the netgear was for the Genie app! i think it is when i upgraded app it started happening.

brad

Message 31 of 109
nekotruong
Tutor

I use Nighthawj X6 (R8000)

i try to log in to Genie to fix me wifi password, but when i log to router it said am not connect to my rout (i use cable to connect my router and my laptop)

also it said no IPv6 is enable (i did got back and check my IPv6 on laptop is fine)

anyone have any idea how to fix it ?

Message 32 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @nekotruong,

You can login to the router UI and change your WiFi password from there. You may find the link below helpful.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24096

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 33 of 109
nekotruong
Tutor

Hello @DexterJB

I think you dont get what i mean. Thge problem is I can't login to my router. Everytime i try to loging to my rounter then i got this

"You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.

For more information about how to access routerlogin.net, visit Router login page cannot be displayed "

or

"NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the geat network of the router, and no IPv6 is enabled."

agian i did try to connected me laptop with my router by cable and i did check me IPv6. about how to change my passwork of my router i do know how.
Message 34 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @nekotruong,

1. Have you tried using your router's IP address and access it via a browser?

2. On which device do you have the NETGEAR Genie program/app installed?

3. Have you tried  using another device (Android, iOS, another computer)?

4. Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the app/program then reboot the router.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 35 of 109
agent86
Star

Dexter,

Let's not get off track. nekotruong is describing an issue with the Genie App. Yes. There may be other ways to access the router, but mere "access" to the router is not the resolution sought here. Instead, we are reporting a problem with the Genie App that arose within the last two to three months.

The App is basicially preventing users access to supported routers access using the Genie App. As a consequence, functionality is lost. The issue here: we want the Genie App fixed.

Next, your suggested resolutions have already been tried - I have fully explained the efforts expended in my original post. After performing your suggestions, the Genie App still reports the same error message (i.e. the suggested solutions do not make any difference; thus, the suggests are not the resolution).

I am replying to your latest post because it is a diversion from the original issue that the Genie App is broken. I need to start using functionality for which I purchased the router (i.e. parental controls) and the Genie App plays an integral part in setting up functionality that is otherwise not accessible through other means of access. So, please stay focused on the original issue: problems with the Genie App.

Thank you,

agent86

Message 36 of 109
Jalew
Tutor

Wow. Came here for the same. Agent pretty much said what I was thinking. I can't wait to find a resolution to this. Thanks guys.
Message 37 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @agent86,

Thank you for your input. We have performed our own tests and we were not able to replicate the issue. The questions and suggestions I have posted for nekotruong was for isolation since he did not mention any other troubleshooting steps that he has taken. Others reported that uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixed it for them. However, if that has not worked then there is clearly an issue. We would like to investigate further on this. I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 38 of 109
nekotruong
Tutor

@DexterJB

@agent86

@Jalew

few day ago i kind of too busy so i didnt show you how i fix that problem.

the way I fix is simple, (note: i didn't do any step you told me) I just use the paperclip to reset the router to default setting by the small hole on the back of the router and hold for 7s or 10s, and that it i fix it (note: before the problem hapend i didn't change any setting in the router)

Message 39 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @nekotruong,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 40 of 109
Stretch68
Initiate

DexterJB. I have a Netgear WNDR3700v4 and no matter what I try I cannot login to the router to make changes. I have done everything you talked about in the previous comments and still no luck. Any suggestions?
Message 41 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Stretch68,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Was it working before?

3. Are you able to login using other devices (Android, iOS, PC, Mac)?

4. Are you getting an error message? If yes, please provide a screenshot if possible.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 42 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Stretch68,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 43 of 109
agent86
Star

@nekotruong,

Your solution does work, but it's only temporary - the problem returns after you try to access parental controls, etc. The problem also resolves temporarily whenver you reboot the router.

agent86

Message 44 of 109
agent86
Star

@DexterJB

1. What is the firmware version of the router? V1.0.0.38_1.0.31.

2. Was it working before? Yes.

3. Are you able to login using other devices (Android, iOS, PC, Mac)? No.

4. Are you getting an error message? If yes, please provide a screenshot if possible. Yes. The messages are different on IOS and Windows.

Message 45 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @agent86,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 46 of 109
mzuverink
Aspirant

So I have a Charter rented Netgear R6300v2. It has Charter's custom firmware that ends with  "ch". I, then, as been described by many, cannot login using Netgear Genie on my Android devices.

So my question is, what would happen if I just upgraded the firmware on the router to the firmware update released by Netgear that is listed for the device at Netgear support? 

Will it work, of will it screw up my modem to router connection and therefore disable it and then I won't be able to use it at all. Surely this is a terms of service violation to do so I am sure, but what would be the ramifications of doing so. If it will fix my issue and still work I could care less about the violation because they would know about it until they got their equipment back when I terminate my usage of their services whenever that my be. 

Message 47 of 109
jwilson484
Initiate

I have been experiencing the same issues with my Netgear WNDR3700v3. I have done everything mentioned in these posts and I still have the same issue when trying to access Parental Controls using the Genie or accessing Router Settings via the Genie. I am unable to access Parental Controls and it says, "Checking router firmware. We are making sure you have the firmware that supports Live Parental Controls. And then is says, You don't appear to be connected to the internet. Please connect to the internet and try again. But I am connected to the internet, as I am sending this reply now, via the internet. The network map is up to date and correct with all the current devices conncected being shown. I am also unable to access the "Router Settings". I have tried putting the IP in manually and keep getting the following: Login failed. The router response timed out. I assumed it may be an issue with Windows 10 but I see that Windows 7 users are having the same problem and I also have the same issues with my Android devices and the Genie download for those devices. It used to work but it doesn't anymore for some reason. Back a year or so ago I used the Genie without any problem. But recently, I decided to use the Parental Controls to control what my 16 year old is able to see and when he is able to access the internet. But all I have had now is problems with the Genie.

Message 48 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @mzuverink,

This is not recommended since their custom firmware is designed to work with their service and you may not even be able to upload the retail version firmware with it.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 49 of 109
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jwilson484,

Please try the following steps:

1. Uninstall and re-install the Genie apps/programs from your devices.

2. Reboot the router.

3. If it is an option, you can try doing a factory reset on the router.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 50 of 109
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7