Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't login to the IOS Nighthawk APP

AutoHenk
Tutor

Can't login to the IOS Nighthawk APP

What i do:

I open the Nighthawk app locally, on the wifi network:

I type in the username and password that was working for my Genie app.

Then the Nighthawk app bounces back to the login screen, and the same thing happens again.

When i recovered the username + password, the excact username + password appeared, as i used for webbrowser + genie app login.

This doesn't work on the nighthawk app.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: Can't login to the IOS Nighthawk APP

Talking of the [My]Netgear Login - following the installation, this is requested first - or the local admin (no other usernames possible, admin is hardcoded - which is requested in a second step?

Here a complete process for your reference - hope you don 't mind, the test device was configured to German - screens are the same:

First screen requests the access or creation of a Netgear Account:

Screenshot_20190414-120854.png

Second screen requests the Netgear Account credentials (as used for the community, for support, ...):

Screenshot_20190414-120912.png

We had a two-factor authentication enabled before, so a confirmation on another device is required. Note that if the App is in the background (probably specific to the power saving on Android 9) the push messages are not received.

Screenshot_20190414-121035.png

Make the device trusted ...

Screenshot_20190414-121046.png

...name the trusted device...

Screenshot_20190414-121112.png

Following the Netgear Account authentication, the local admin (the only local username possible) is requested:

Screenshot_20190414-121206.png

...optional storing the authentication information...

Screenshot_20190414-121235.png

...and up we go, here a R9000 on 1.0.4.28:

Screenshot_20190414-121257.png

So please, where are you stuck exactly?

Does a password probably contain special characters like a "-" for example?

What router model (R8000P?), what firmware are we facing here?

Message 2 of 8
AutoHenk
Tutor

Hi,

I'm stuck on the 6th screenshot.

"admin" is already filled in.

password has to be filled in by myself.

i literally copied the password when i went to the "recover password" option. (after filling in the 2 security questions succesfully).

Strange thing is that the webbrowser login doesn't work every time aswell (also when i copy it from the "recover password" option). 1 minute ago it worked via browser login.

The password is a mixture from digits, letters and special digits as for example question marks.

firmware: V1.4.1.30_1.2.26

Message 3 of 8
AutoHenk
Tutor

Ok, what the heck.

I just managed to change the password (after numerous fails, excactly using the same password) to a password withouth special digits like ? ! @ # etc.

Now the app logged in -_-

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@AutoHenk wrote:

I just managed to change the password (after numerous fails, excactly using the same password) to a password withouth special digits like ? ! @ # etc.

You clearly hit a limitation (I'd say poor design, crappy implementation, whatever) of the Nighthawk App as it appears to fail on special chars. Guess why I've asked 8-)

One proof more why new is not always better dear Netgear @Dustin_V  - please pick this bug up and push to the engineering!

I'd suggest - beyond the report here - to send an email to nighthawkteam@netgear.com (out of wally brain, this is the email shown for feedback/bug reports on the Apple Store and/or the Google Play Store).

Message 5 of 8
AutoHenk
Tutor

Thanks a lot!

I e-mailed them aswell 🙂

cheers!

Message 6 of 8
Rol23
Guide

I am on android, I tried the removing special characters.  Still can't login, I can't get past the account login.  There is no error message, just hopeless nothing.  

any other suggestions.  If I have 2 step verification on, how do I turn it off.  I have only ever used the app with my old S8 phone which I no longer have.  I don't remember turning that on, and when I log into the netgear site do not see that setting.

Message 7 of 8
Rol23
Guide

the solution is keep force stopping, clear cache and data, then try again until you get 2 step up.  Also try and remove special characters from password if this doesn't work. I did everything, eventually I got the 2 step to pop up, and was in.  Hope all can get it to work, Netgear support isn't going to respond or help anytime soon

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7