Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't login to the Nighthawk app

Rol23
Guide

Can't login to the Nighthawk app

Model: R8000P

I have used the Nighthawk app for a year now, no problems.  Bought a new phone, tried to sign in to Nighthawk app, no error message, just always returns to the login app.  So I try forget password, get email, change password on home computer.  Go back to phone, try new password.....  Same result.

I can login to the router with the admin password on my computer.  

BTW this website is a POS, if you click support it logs you out.... Hilarious. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Rol23
Guide

Holy crap, I got it to work!!!!!!

So read on another thread about clearing cache and app, then trying again.  I did that a few times and nothing.  I tried changing my passord many times too, that didn't work too.  I removed special characters from my password, that didn't work at all.

So I am writing angry emails, angry post.  I try one more time, force stop the app, then I cleared the cache and data.  Next I went back to the nighthawk app and tried to login, I finally get the two step authentication pop up, this never popped up in all my attempts.  It was linked to my phone and my email.  So I selected email and entered in the code, then admin code and boom I am in.

I guess in short the solution is keep force stopping, clear cache and data, then try again until you get 2 step up.  Also try and remove special characters from password if this doesn't work. 

Netgear's support is crap, probably the last time I buy or suggest any of their products.  

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 17

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not sure what does prohibit the login from the Nighthawk App... is this an iOS phone or an Android phone? App version, Android/iOS version, router firmware version, ...?

@Rol23 wrote:

BTW this website is a POS, if you click support it logs you out.... Hilarious. 

Two individual SSO-scopes - reported several times before, poor integration of the SaaS forum platform.

Message 2 of 17
Rol23
Guide

Android and whatever the new S10 comes with

Firmware Version 
V1.4.1.30_1.2.26

I deleted the Nighthawk app and was able to get the Netgear Genie app working.  I also turned on remote management, could that have been turned off from a firmware upgrade;  and be the reason the Nighthawk app stopped working? I still don't get why there is no error message when trying login into the Nighthawk app with my netgear account and password.  Even if there is no router to manage, that would fix some of the confusion on the user side.  

Message 3 of 17
schumaku
Guru

The Remote Administration/Remote Management (for the Apps, by cloud) is the same for both the Genie and the Nighthawk App.If it's off (why ever) it won't be available in any of the two Apps.

So the problem is the login with the Netgear account on the App? No idea what is going wrong there - regardless if there is any router registered for the remote admin or not.

Message 4 of 17
aphexx0407
Guide

I am also on the same boat as you are. I had my phone replaced under warranty and reinstalled everything including the Nighthawk app. It was working OK under my old phone and I was able to set it up initially without any issues.

The problem now was when I tried to setup the app on this new phone it wouldn't let me pass the Netgear Account login. I am sure I am putting the right email and password. It just looks like it's logging me in but nothing happens. The app is literally stuck at the Netgear Account login screen.

Did you found any solution?
Message 5 of 17
Aanith
Tutor

I deleted the app and all its associated data. Reinstalled the app and re-entered my netgear credentials.

This fixed it for me
Message 6 of 17
aphexx0407
Guide

I tried that too but with no luck, deleted data, uninstalled/reinstalled app from the playstore. I was able to work my way around now inside the app but I still can't login to the Netgear Account hence I can't get the remote management On. I can't also use the Genie app as my router is no longer supported, asked me to install the Nighthawk app.
Message 7 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@aphexx0407 wrote:
 On. I can't also use the Genie app as my router is no longer supported, asked me to install the Nighthawk app.

There are no routers no longer supported by the Genie App - what worked before does continue to work. Just click the nag notification away (or use the back button) and you can use the Genie App as before.

Message 8 of 17

You can also install the Nighthawk app and use it alongside the genie.

Installing one does not remove the other.

Message 9 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

There are no routers no longer supported by the Genie App - ...

Afraid, I must admit that the latest Genie update does indeed no longer allow using non-supported routers.

Browsing over Netgear Web and KB find that they admit that Genie App remains available for xDSL, cable and older router (including a few Nightawk models!).

Looking a little bit further does show that for the Live Parantal Control (LPC) only the desktop (macOS and Windows) can be used, any eferences to the Apps were removed.

Message 10 of 17
Rol23
Guide

OP here, well now the genie app is no longer supporting my device.  The nighthawk app is still down not work, I change my password, login, back to login page.  Killed the data, uninstall app, still same issue.  I can login to the website, and I see my router....  I can manage it locally. 

How about an error message in the nighthawk app, something to tell me what the $#@!#$#@ to do...  How about any support at all, i spent a bunch of money on the router and a netgear modem... 

Message 11 of 17
Rol23
Guide

Holy crap, I got it to work!!!!!!

So read on another thread about clearing cache and app, then trying again.  I did that a few times and nothing.  I tried changing my passord many times too, that didn't work too.  I removed special characters from my password, that didn't work at all.

So I am writing angry emails, angry post.  I try one more time, force stop the app, then I cleared the cache and data.  Next I went back to the nighthawk app and tried to login, I finally get the two step authentication pop up, this never popped up in all my attempts.  It was linked to my phone and my email.  So I selected email and entered in the code, then admin code and boom I am in.

I guess in short the solution is keep force stopping, clear cache and data, then try again until you get 2 step up.  Also try and remove special characters from password if this doesn't work. 

Netgear's support is crap, probably the last time I buy or suggest any of their products.  

Message 12 of 17
aphexx0407
Guide

You are a legend mate! Was able to get into the verification process after
1. Force stopping the app
2. Clearung data & cache
3. Opening the Nighthawk app again

Now I am able to login to my Netgear account. After logging in it then also asked me to login to my router's admin account.

The reason why it wouldn't let me login to my Netgear Account is because the server doesn't recognize or allow this new phone I am using. They (Netgear) should've at least placed a Trusted Device section when users login to their account online so it is easier to manage devices.

Thanks heaps man!
Message 13 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@Rol23 wrote:

How about an error message in the nighthawk app, something to tell me what the $#@!#$#@ to do...  

You expect an error message like this? Spotted on a different brand home appliance maker App these hours ... wondering what keyboards these software designers and developers are using:

Screenshot_20190419-112149.png

Message 14 of 17
jimtino
Initiate

Loved product but agree support is useless. Still cannot get back into app

Message 15 of 17

@jimtino wrote:

Loved product but agree support is useless. Still cannot get back into app

You looking for help of some sport?

Explain the problem, what equipment you have and maybe someone can come up with some ideas.

Sadly "cannot get back into app" tells us nothing.

You don't seem to have posted any messages that could guide us.

Message 16 of 17
Rol23
Guide

Another thing I also found while setting up the router after I moved... If you run VPN on your phone or your computer, disable it.  The app literally cannot work with any VPN running. 

Hope all this helps, honestly why make pretty good consumer hardware and make the apps completely user un-friendly.  To many infinite loops in the workflow with absolutely no helpful error messages.  As soon as a good unify solution comes out for 6e I will be switching and never looking back at consumer products again.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 56 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7