Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't remote to MR60 from Nighthawk app

jibjubja
Aspirant

Can't remote to MR60 from Nighthawk app

I owned MR60 and R9000 Nighthawk. Last year, I turned on remote management on all my routers and could remote fine using web browser/nighthawk app on both devices from internet connection and my internal network. Until I had updated MR60 firmware and recognized that MR60 admin page removed remote management for web gui. After that, I can't remote my MR60 using app anymore. Anyway, connecting through Wifi, I have no issue for remote when use web gui and app for both my MR60 and R9000. I can connect R9000 when access it through my internet phone. Anyone know why I can't connect MR60 from internet when using Nighthawk app? 

My MR60 firmware is V1.1.6.124_2.0.59.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't remote to MR60 from Nighthawk app

@jibjubja wrote:
...I checked for "Always use HTTPS to access router'. 

That broke my system.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 10
jibjubja
Aspirant

I use T-mobile on Samsung S21

Message 3 of 10

@jibjubja wrote:

Until I had updated MR60 firmware and recognized that MR60 admin page removed remote management for web gui.

Netgear has been removing things like that, probably following security issues.

We are now left with Anywhere Access.

How do I enable or disable Anywhere Access on my router using the Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR ...

Have you tried that?

It used to go under a different name:

Remote Management is now Anywhere Access in the Nighthawk and Orbi apps | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 10
jibjubja
Aspirant

yes, I had tried to turn of/on for anywhere access on Nighthawk app but it didn't help. I tried to turn off my firewall if it might help, but still no luck. This MR60 is behind my firewall since its first day when it's web gui still supported remote management. Thank you for your comments anyway.

Message 5 of 10

@jibjubja wrote:

yes, I had tried to turn of/on for anywhere access on Nighthawk app but it didn't help.

You have to enable it on the device before you can mess around with the app.

You also have to link to a MyNetgear cloud account.

I'm having trouble enabling Anywhere Access with the Nighthawk or Orbi app; what do I do? | Answer |...

Is there anything set up in Web Services Management?

Message 6 of 10
jibjubja
Aspirant

I already had linked MR60 on my.neargear.com since last year and i could use it fine until I upgraded firmware and nighthawk app, after that nothing seems to work.

And Yes, Web service management/local management, I checked for "Always use HTTPS to access router'. 

Message 7 of 10

@jibjubja wrote:
...I checked for "Always use HTTPS to access router'. 

That broke my system.

Message 8 of 10
jibjubja
Aspirant

Wow.  This is a fix. You are the man. Unbelievable! Unchecked for "Always use HTTPS to access router' let me remote using Nighthawk app now. Curiously, is this a bug? What is the purpose of this "Always use HTTPS to access router'? Should it force securely accessing to admin console? Thank you so much.

Message 9 of 10

@jibjubja wrote:

Curiously, is this a bug? What is the purpose of this "Always use HTTPS to access router'? Should it force securely accessing to admin console? Thank you so much.

I have never understood why that was put in there.

Not sure that it is a bug.

My guess is that Netgear responded to complaints from people who think that every web address must have https before they will trust it. That they insisted that it was needed for local access to the router just shows their ignorance. But they screamed long and loud so Netgear added that possibility for the terminally paranoid.

Yes, there may be rare events when someone can break onto their routers, but mostly this added "security measure" just gets in the way.

Netgear really should put a warning in their telling people that enabling that feature breaks things that might be deal breakers for some users.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7