Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Login to Genie App

Linypenny16
Tutor

Cannot Login to Genie App

No matter what I try, I cannot login to the Netgear Genie app either on my phone or on the computer. I always get an error message. This has been occurring since the first update a few months ago. I just bought this router in December. Is the model not compatible with Genie, now? I have a N300 model WNR2000v5.
Message 1 of 90

@Linypenny16 wrote:
I always get an error message.

What does it says?

Message 2 of 90
Linypenny16
Tutor

"The network connection is busy, try again later. Of it fails constantly, power cycle your Netgear router and try again."

I've restarted the router and uninstalled and reinstalled the all but continue to get that message.
Message 3 of 90
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Linypenny16,

1. Please try uninstalling and re-installing the app/program.

2. What version of NETGEAR Genie do you have installed?

3. What is the firmware version of the router?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 90
Mdgreene2001
Tutor

I have had the same issues on my nighthawk x6 R8000 and I have done everything recommend on all posts. I can login in a browser on my phone but not the new genie app. The old one worked fantastic. I'm dissatisfied with the new genie iPhone app. It never once worked no matter what I did. I wish they kept the working app.
Message 5 of 90
Brikel
Initiate

Since the last App Update a few months ago I have not been able to log into my R8000 either.  Not even the desktop app on my PC works now.  The only way is to log directly in via web browser from the computer the router is connected to.  Very disappointed in Netgear.

Message 6 of 90
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

We are currently investigating the issue. We will provide an update once available.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 90

When I changed my PC's LAN hardware – the motherboard port died – the desktop genie would not log in.

The only way to gain access is to Enter router's IP address manually.

I then have to replace the address in the genie – 54.69.75.161 – with the local address.

The login process then seems to stall. Eventually, after clicking around with various tabs, it lands in the right place.

Oh, the browser also refuses to use the usual access addresses and I have to use the IP address.

I don't know if this is a genie issue or a local thing.

Message 8 of 90
Uha
Tutor
Tutor

Strange! I just try to log in in my genie app and iT works! Also a strange thing happened yesterday my router just restarted himself, i think that the guys from netgear did something with the code, anyway it worked! Tnx guys!
Message 9 of 90
Oreglenn
Tutor

I just connected my new R6220 wifi routerange and am trying to reset my security key to match my old one so that all my devices will connect. When I poem the genie app and try the wifi icon, it goes to a login page where the login ID is pre-filled with admin. When I fill in my password, I get an error message the the login I'D is incorrect. When I tap on the blank, it will not allow me to change it. I tried doing a copy and paste of my email address, which pasted in, I still get the same error message. ??
Message 10 of 90

@Oreglenn wrote:
When I poem the genie app and try the wifi icon, it goes to a login page where the login ID is pre-filled with admin. When I fill in my password, I get an error message the the login I'D is incorrect.

There are two things you have to do to login to a modem/router using wifi. First you have to connect to the wifi, then you have to bring up the device's web interface.

Both steps need different login details.

The wifi needs an SSID and password. (These should be in the hardware.) The router needs an "admin" password. (The default is password.)

Which stage are you at? If it says admin you are probably at the router interface.

PS  You have just joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

Message 11 of 90
Kpent48
Aspirant

Can't log in since the new update
Message 12 of 90
w1nterl0ng
Aspirant

I would like to disable the parental controls.  It seems that this is only possible with the Genie App.  While I can log into the router in the web interface, whenever I try to do something in Genie App it says login failed, or just spins.  Is there a way to disable parental controls through the web interface?

Message 13 of 90

@w1nterl0ng wrote:

Is there a way to disable parental controls through the web interface?

Does this work?

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Message 14 of 90
w1nterl0ng
Aspirant

That is the link that "Parental Controls" leads to when I am using the web interface.  While the OpenDNS site allows me to adjust the level of parental control, all the way down to none if I choose, it does not allow me to disable it at the router level.  Subsequently, when I try to alter the DNS settings in my router, it says I first need to disable parental controls.

So, to answer you question, while that link works, it does not do what I need it to.

Message 15 of 90
amiejones09
Initiate

Have you guys figured anything out yet with this stupid app of yours? I have the R8000 router and an IPhone. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the app a few min ago and I canny log into anything. It tells me my password is always wrong no matter what. This is the most frustrating bs to deal with
Message 16 of 90
Oreglenn
Tutor

Hi Amie, I set up my new R7000 on Thursday. It connected to all of my devices fine by using the factory-set password. I was intending to change the password before connecting the devices so I wouldn't need to reset the password on each. When I tried to log into the genie app, I had the same frustration you are describing. One of the members here suggested I use "password" for my password and that got me in. Hope this is helpful. Glenn
Message 17 of 90
Oreglenn
Tutor

Thanks Michael, that both me in
Message 18 of 90
Kdalaski
Initiate

I'm at this same place. Won't login. Then then loops to "connect to your routers wifi". Then loops back.
Message 19 of 90
ScubaMike7
Star

Here is the exact message I am getting, IOS.

"netgear router not found or is not supported. Make sure that your mobile device is not connected to the router's guest network and that IPv6 is not enabled”

Nighthawk X6 R8000
V1.0.3.36_1.1.25

Message 20 of 90
ScubaMike7
Star

I was going to try and delete my post but seems that I can't, rebooting my router worked for me.

Message 21 of 90
ScubaMike7
Star

I logged out of the app and back to square 1, crappy app can you guys bring back the ther version?

"netgear router not found or is not supported. Make sure that your mobile device is not connected to the router's guest network and that IPv6 is not enabled”

Nighthawk X6 R8000
V1.0.3.36_1.1.25
Message 22 of 90
kman68
Star

Same issue.  Just bought a new R8000.  Everything worked, everything was setup and the app was working.  Tried later to log back in using the genie app and it wanted me to login.  Tells me my password is incorrect.  I can login from browser and everything is fine, but the app won't accept the password.

Rebooted the router and this fixed the problem and everything was fine.  For a day.  Next morning, same issue.  Can't use the genie app because it won't accept my password.  I am not going to reboot the router and reinstall genie every day just so I can use this.  There is enough comments on this site to signal to Netgear they have a serious issue going on here.  Will they fix it?

Message 23 of 90

@kman68 wrote:

Tried later to log back in using the genie app and it wanted me to login.  Tells me my password is incorrect.

Which genie app? Desktop, Android, etc?

Are you connecting over wifi?

Tried entering the IP address manually?

The desktop genie is a long running cause of anguish. Many of us avoid it for this reason. It brings very little to the party that you can do with a browser.

Message 24 of 90
ScubaMike7
Star

Genie IOS App

Over Wifi

Entered the same IP that I use for the web browser

pretty much a worthless app

Message 25 of 90
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements