Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Login to Genie App

Re: Cannot Login to Genie App

@ScubaMike7 wrote:

Over Wifi

Before you can connect the genie to your modem/router, it has to be connected to the wifi.

Check that you have an Internet connection, or can access the local network, before you try connecting the genie to the modem/router.

And the wifi, of course, uses a different password from the modem/router.

Message 26 of 90
ScubaMike7
Star

That is all a given, I can access through the browser with no issues.

Message 27 of 90

@ScubaMike7 wrote:

That is all a given

Not really. I don't know what is connected to what. That is why I asked.

@ScubaMike7 wrote:

I can access through the browser with no issues.

That is on the same client via the same wifi connection?

People sometimes turn up here with the same problem but they are using the browser in a wired PC and the iThing app on a wifi device.

That is why I asked the question.

As ever, it helps to provide as much detail as possible when you are trying to troubleshoot something like this. In that way you don't get people like me asking daft questions, especially when someone jumps in on the tail of a long running conversation that has covered so much ground..

Message 28 of 90
ScubaMike7
Star

Ok, I thought I stated that.  

What is odd is that there seems to be a short window when the router reboots that allows the app to connect, it does connect but it is not functional at all. If you log out and back in it goes back to the unable to find router error.

Message 29 of 90
kman68
Star

What is odd is that there seems to be a short window when the router reboots that allows the app to connect, it does connect but it is not functional at all. If you log out and back in it goes back to the unable to find router error.

Exactly.  Mine is doing the same thing.  I can reboot the router and the app works perfectly until I logout of the app.  Then it is back to the same error that the router is busy or won't accept password.  And yes, I have no problems accessing through my browser on my tablet or phone (non-wired).  This is definitely a software glitch with the latest firmware from Netgear.

Message 30 of 90

@kman68 wrote:
This is definitely a software glitch with the latest firmware from Netgear.

There hasn't been a software update for the genie in some months.

So you think the firmware update caused it?

The original message does not mentionfirmware.

Perhaps this discussion is getting too complicated, with people talking about different issues with different hardware.

I assume that everyone has read the messages from DexterJB, the resident NETGEAR Moderator.

Message 31 of 90
Garf666m
Initiate

Same for me.

I need to reboot my router each time i want to login with Genie. After a reboot it work.

I find it too much assle, so i log using browser at router ip address.

But there is many fonction needing Genie to be setup!

And even when i can login with Genie, the parental control doesn't work, at all, ever.

This software is a piece of **bleep**.

The old app was working well, and i wonder what firmware i should go back to in order to use the old app

Message 32 of 90
rl17
Aspirant

I am frustrated as well. I bought the R8000 to improve wifi connectivity and allow me to monitor/control my kid's activity. I loved the control when the app worked. When will it be fixed, Netgear??

Absolutely frustrated!!
Message 33 of 90
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rl17,

We currently do not have an ETA on the fix. Rest assured, the issue is being worked on by engineering to isolate the cause and provide an update and fix as soon as possible.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 34 of 90
Techsniffer
Aspirant

Hi all,

We are currently investigating the issue. We will provide an update once available.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Can we PLEASE get an answer on this issue? I've seen dozens of this same post adn everytime its the same canned response and questions. Seriously Netgear if you dont have a programmer that can resolve this issue in 6+ months then maybe it's time to hire one that can.

The old PC version worked great, the new one is garbage. The old Android and iOS apps worked fine, the new ones are garbage.

Stop quizzing the users when we ask questions as if you've never heard of these problems before, you know there is a problem you cant type in Netgear Genie without seeing 20 of these same posts, fix your trash and quick.. or many of us will gladly purchase a brand that can make a router and software that isnt total trash.

Message 35 of 90
Linypenny16
Tutor

Update to my problems with the app...
My router was recently struck by lightning and stopped working. I had to buy a new one, same model, and suddenly the app is working with the new router. The first one was purchased in Jan. The second one was purchased about a week ago. Maybe there needs to be a firmware update to older models to sync to the new app. I was never able to update the firmware on my old router.
Message 36 of 90

@Linypenny16 wrote:
I had to buy a new one, same model, and suddenly the app is working with the new router.

Seriously weird. I have a different hardware problem with the genie.

The LAN chip on my motherboard died. I added a PCI card with LAN. Now the genie will not login unless I give it the IP address.

Then again, the browser won't login into the usual addresses either.

Message 37 of 90
Jbmasvero
Aspirant

I just installed r8000. I am connectted to the wifi but can't login to the router via genie app. It also won't let me login remotely. I deleted the app and reinstalled. Same issue still occurs.
Message 38 of 90

Can you login through a browser?

By the way, you have joined in on an older discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Message 39 of 90
EEWdad
Aspirant

Re: Cannot Login to Genie App (from PC)

I'm experiencing the same - unable to login to R8000 from Genie App on my PC; however, I can login using Genie app on my iPhone. Curiously, when I click on the router IP link from the network map in Genie (on my PC where I cannot sign in), I'm taken right to the browser-based R8000 login page -- where I can login and access / change features. 

Message 40 of 90

Re: Cannot Login to Genie App (from PC)

@EEWdad wrote:

I'm experiencing the same - unable to login to R8000 from Genie App on my PC; however, I can login using Genie app on my iPhone. Curiously, when I click on the router IP link from the network map in Genie (on my PC where I cannot sign in), I'm taken right to the browser-based R8000 login page -- where I can login and access / change features. 

There is something wrong with the way that Netgear handles these things.

The usual logins don't work for some of us, only the IP address. Likewise the desktop genie only works if you use the IP address.

Try to login and you get some nonsense message about having to connect to your wifi network – I'm already hard wired.

The access regime is just bust and Netgear does not know how to fix it. Maybe they should recruit some rocket scientists.

Message 41 of 90
SenseiSyl
Aspirant

Here the same problem.

However I don't understand why there is still no solution?

Topic was started at April 22, 2017. Today it is June 22, 2017. TWO MONTHS and still no solution!!!

Message 42 of 90

@SenseiSyl wrote:
Topic was started at April 22, 2017. Today it is June 22, 2017. TWO MONTHS and still no solution!!!

Not to mention all the older messages on the same theme.

Message 43 of 90
nytiger73
Star

I am having the same exact issue.  I can log in via web browser, however, I cannot log in with the iPhone / iPad app or the PC app.  Rebooting the router helps, but if I try to log in again say 24 hours later, I am back to square one.  I get Login Failed.  genie Cloud server connection time out. Try again.  I also have seen the message stating "NETGEAR router was not found or is no supported. Make sure that your mobile device is not connected to the router's guest network and that IPv6 is not enabled".  Is there a fix coming for this?  I think this started for me once I downloaded the newest firmware.  

Message 44 of 90
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @nytiger73,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your device?

2. Please make sure you do a factory reset after updating the firmware.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 45 of 90
EEWdad
Aspirant

I'm using the latest firmware update for my R8000; I hate to have to do a factory reset -- essentially wiping out out all my network names, passwords and other settings -- especially if that is not assured to resolve the issue. Are you suggesting a factory reset is the solution? 

Message 46 of 90

@EEWdad wrote:

I hate to have to do a factory reset -- essentially wiping out out all my network names, passwords and other settings -- especially if that is not assured to resolve the issue. Are you suggesting a factory reset is the solution? 

Sadly, a factory reset is probably essential if you have issues after a firmware flash.The new firmware may have introduced settings that are not compatible with the old configuration.

But there are ways of trying to reduce the hassle.

It isn't always necessary, but if you have problems after a firmware flash, you should reset the thing to factory settings, but you can try to preserve your configuration.

My strategy is to:

• save (backup) settings
  • flash firmware

If that works and you see no problems, great. If not, and something doesn't work,you may have to reset the device to the default settings:

• set to factory settings
  • retrieve settings from backup

If that works and you see no problems, problem fixed! If not:

• set to factory settings.
  • reconfigure everything

If that fails, then I fear that you may have to flash back to earlier firmware. If you do that, you will still have a backup of your old settings that you can restore.

Message 47 of 90
G0rilla_MC72
Aspirant

I cant access my router on the genie app either. I can somewhat access it on my computer, however it wants me to recover my router password. It asks me for two secret questions then tells me they are incorrect answers when I know for a fact what the answers are.....really frustrated rn.
Message 48 of 90

@G0rilla_MC72 wrote:
I cant access my router on the genie app either. I can somewhat access it on my computer, however it wants me to recover my router password.

The only way to deal with that scenario is probably to reset your router to its factory settings and then to use the default password to get in there.

Then you can reset the password back to something of your choice.

Message 49 of 90
G0rilla_MC72
Aspirant

I tried resetting it multiple times on the back of the modem/router. Didn't work
Message 50 of 90
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7