Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot change password for router but can get into admin account

cpwatson
Aspirant

Cannot change password for router but can get into admin account

I can log into my admin account with Netgear. But cannot access my wifi router to make changes.

Was trying to add printers but when using "routerlogin.net it asks for a user name and password that do not coincided with admin.  Also it asks secrutiy questions that are so obvious they cannot be wrong yet it does not recognize them. How can I get past this routerlogin gate keeper. Can I do it through my admin account.  Help frutstrated and have been with netgear for quite awhile. They took away my Genie that was amazing.

Message 1 of 3
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Cannot change password for router but can get into admin account

Hi @cpwatson, welcome to the community!

The link below provides the steps on how to access the web UI of the router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/980

The default credentials are admin and password.

When you say admin account, are you referring to your my.netgear.com account? If so, that different from the web UI of the router itself. Also, if you are looking to connect your network printer/s (via WiFi), what it usually asks for is the WiFi password (same as the one you use to connect your other wireless devices).

Dexter

Message 2 of 3

Re: Cannot change password for router but can get into admin account

@cpwatson wrote:

Also it asks secrutiy questions that are so obvious they cannot be wrong yet it does not recognize them.

Did you set up password recovery? If not, it will not know your answers to those questions.

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7