Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot configure parental controls

andrelerouxcpt
Aspirant

Cannot configure parental controls

I have recently purchased the Nighthawk R7800 and am currently waiting on the local provider to install fibre (FTTH) access.

While waiting in the fibre install I thought I would read up on the configuration of parental control as I wish to control the WiFi access my children (aged 6 and 9) has.

I then stumble on the issue that you are unable to connect to OpenDNS (login failed) and it seems that even in the latest posts on this community Netgear has still not sorted the issue.

This nice marketing pitch by Netgear about Live Parental Control is that you are able to control your wifi access remotely via the Genie but if I won't be able to log onto the OpenDNS to change the bypass settings, then what helps me much.

My question is whether there is an alternative DNS available to be configured on the Netgear wireless routers, that will also allow you to employ effective parental control and possible even have the ability to use your smartphone to control these settings (remotely)

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Cannot configure parental controls

andrelerouxcpt wrote:

I then stumble on the issue that you are unable to connect to OpenDNS (login failed) and it seems that even in the latest posts on this community Netgear has still not sorted the issue.

Not everyone has this problem. I don't. You won't know if you are affected until you have your network up and running.

Can you access this site:

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

Message 2 of 3
andrelerouxcpt
Aspirant

Re: Cannot configure parental controls

Hi Michael
Thanks for your response and glad to hear that this is not a common/across the board issue.

I most certainly hope that I wont be affected as you pay a premium for these routers.
As previously mentioned I am patiently awaiting the installation of fibre in our area and only once installed will I be able to test the router.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7