Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot get Nighthawk to work with new phone

ltaama
Tutor

Cannot get Nighthawk to work with new phone

I just attempted to opened my Nighthawk App on a new phone. My app and Netgear account were using a very old email address so I went online and changed my email address to my new one. I am able to login with my current email address and password. BUT, upon login the app says "We don't recognize this device." So it tries to push a message to my OLD cell phone. When I choose "Try Another Verification Method" the app still has my OLD email address. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the app on my current phone without success. Any suggestions.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ltaama
Tutor

Re: Cannot get Nighthawk to work with new phone

Please refer to my response in the step by step process above (steps 3, 4, and 5). This issue is verifying my identify, I need to add the verification code sent to my old email address (which I do not have access anymore). I have not made any changes to the router. I only replaced my phone. The error is occurring after entering my login credentials (to mynetgear.com).

Answers to your questions.
- I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Nighthawk app multiple times with the same result. Firmware version: v2.21.0.2590.
- I can successfully login mynetgear (this is were I am now). I connect via a web browser.

I have attached a screenshot showing sequence of events.

Thanks for all your replies.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies

@ltaama wrote:

I just attempted to opened my Nighthawk App on a new phone.

And that phone is?

iOS? Android?

Message 2 of 12
ltaama
Tutor

Android.  I replace the Galaxy S8 with Galaxy S22+.  Sorry, should have provided this info initially.

Message 3 of 12

@ltaama wrote:

I just attempted to opened my Nighthawk App on a new phone.

What happened when you tried it?

Opened it to do what? Which Netgear device are you using?

My app and Netgear account were using a very old email address so I went online and changed my email address to my new one.

Which Netgear account was this? MyNetgear? This community? Anywhere Access?

Went online where? (See above.)

As you are using very old details, these can be different. More recently Netgear has tried to rationalise these things.

Take us through the steps you use and what happens.

@ltaama wrote:

Android.  I replace the Galaxy S8 with Galaxy S22+.  Sorry, should have provided this info initially.

Android and iOS are very different. Usually it is iOS that has problems.

Did you get the latest update for the app? A new one landed this week.

Message 4 of 12
ltaama
Tutor

What happened when you tried it?
Upon login the app says "We don't recognize this device.

Opened it to do what? Which Netgear device are you using?
Using Nighthawk app to connect to my Netgear Nighthawk router (RAX50).

Which Netgear account was this? MyNetgear? This community? Anywhere Access?
I can connect to the router using the ip address from a browser. It only fails when attempting to connect to the router using Nighthawk app on the phone.

Take us through the steps you use and what happens.

Step by step process:

1. Open Nighthawk app on the Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S22+)

2. Option to log in.  Sign into existing account.

3. Enter my user id and password.

Received error:  "We don't recognizer this device.  Unable to login.  We can't verify your account.  Please try again or try another method to login by other available options."  

4. Select "Try Another Verification Method"

5.  Option to select email address.  Note:  The only email address listed is my old email that I no longer have access.  It is not  the email address I changed on the Netgear portal.  As I stated, I can use my new email address and password to sign in to my Netgear account from a browser.  Appears changing the email address from the portal does not change it all over Netgear.

Hope this provides some clarity.  Thanks for your replies.

Message 5 of 12

@ltaama wrote:

I can connect to the router using the ip address from a browser. It only fails when attempting to connect to the router using Nighthawk app on the phone.

This is using a local wifi connection. It is completely different from the app.

Can you login to mynetgear.com?

The app depends on having Anywhere Access set up on the router.

When you ;login, it will establish a connection to the router via the Netgear cloud system that hosts Anywhere Access.

If you are connected to the wifi, you then get a choice of Local Connection or Anywhere Access.

You said earlier:

My app and Netgear account were using a very old email address so I went online and changed my email address to my new one.

Where did you do that?

mynetgear.com?

Using Nighthawk app to connect to my Netgear Nighthawk router (RAX50).

Which firmware version?

Message 6 of 12
ltaama
Tutor

Please refer to my response in the step by step process above (steps 3, 4, and 5). This issue is verifying my identify, I need to add the verification code sent to my old email address (which I do not have access anymore). I have not made any changes to the router. I only replaced my phone. The error is occurring after entering my login credentials (to mynetgear.com).

Answers to your questions.
- I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Nighthawk app multiple times with the same result. Firmware version: v2.21.0.2590.
- I can successfully login mynetgear (this is were I am now). I connect via a web browser.

I have attached a screenshot showing sequence of events.

Thanks for all your replies.

Message 7 of 12
ltaama
Tutor

Thanks for all your help.  I was able to get the Nighthawk app connected to my router.  I was overlooking the option to "Login with one-time password".  Once I logged in using the one-time password, I was able to connect to the router.  Once I was logged in, I enter my credentials for the router.  I still would like to know how to get the old email address removed from my netgear account.  Thanks again for your help. 

Message 8 of 12

@ltaama wrote:

Not necessarily. Where you are now is the Netgear Community.

https://community.netgear.com/

Mynetgear is

https://my.netgear.com/

That is where you register the devices you own, among other things. It is also the way onto the app and Anywhere Access.

As I said earlier, Netgear has played around with these things over the years. More recently, it has tied MyNetgear credentials – passport and username – to both places.

In my case, MyNetgear and Community are completely different, with different email addresses.

That is why I have been asking questions about where you had  changed the password.

These questions may have seemed meaningless to you, but you said you had an old email address, so there was a possibility that you had changed the email address in the community but not on MyNetgear. (And vice versa.)

Message 9 of 12

@ltaama wrote:

I still would like to know how to get the old email address removed from my netgear account. 

In MyNetgear:

michaelkenward_2-1669024749954.png

then

michaelkenward_3-1669024864932.png

Message 10 of 12
ltaama
Tutor

Yes, I changed it there last year when I switched to a new email provider.  The old email must be held elsewhere in the system.  Thanks again!

Message 11 of 12

@ltaama wrote:

Yes, I changed it there last year when I switched to a new email provider.  The old email must be held elsewhere in the system.  Thanks again!

Or it may be one of the other systems that Netgear uses to check visits.

I have two MyNetgear accounts and two Community accounts.

You may be in the same boat.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7