Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cant login to openDNS from genie

klancaster
Initiate

Cant login to openDNS from genie

I am trying to set up parental controls, my first error message says I'm not connected to internet, I took care of that and it looks like I am connected now.

But now it seems like I need to set sign in to Open DNS, but I used the same email and password for genie but with no luck.  I looked for a link to sign up for Open DNS but didn't find one.  I really need this feature for some control on my children's internet use, but am a bit frustrated.

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 1 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @klancaster,

You can sign up for an OpenDNS account via the NETGEAR Genie app. You may find the link below helpful.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25687

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @klancaster,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 3 of 12
klancaster
Initiate

No, when I go to parental controls on the genie app, I get a message saying my router isn't connected to the internet, but clearly it is connected.

What should I do to solve this issue?

Message 4 of 12
martinlife
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same problem - using an existing OpenDNS account. Genie just won't log in.

Message 5 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @klancaster and @martinlife,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your device?

2. What version of the NETGEAR Genie app/program are your using?

3. Have you tried using another device?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @klancaster and @martinlife,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 7 of 12
MontyTheLab2
Guide

I am experiencing this issue...Can someone help me?

Message 8 of 12
zwalex
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue. New router R6400. Internet and WiFi working fine and excellent. I have Netgear Genie installed on several devices (Mac, PC, iPhone) - and already noticed that it's a pretty flaky-shaky application. If I want to check something on my router I prefer the web interface (routerlogin.net).

Anyways - I wanted to check out and turn on the Parental Control settings for certain devices in my household. I have an OpenDNS account (that I do not really use). I found out that I obviously have to use Genie to setup Parental Conytrol (and cannot use the web interface ...).

OK - so I click on Parental Controls in Genie on my Mac - it says it is checking the firmware on my router and spins and spins and spins ...

I am getting impatient and download and install Netgear Genie in my Windows 7 PC, click on Parental Controls and get a little bit further - I am presented with the 'Sign in to your OpenDNS account' panel, so I type in my OpenDNS credentials. Message on the panel says:

'There were errors signing in, please make sure you are connected to the internet and try again'.

Sure I am connected to the internet. Every device and application in this house - besides Genie obviously - is connected to the internet.

I go to https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php and sign on without any problems - certainly cannot do anything in terms of parental controls, as I have to setup the devices via Genie.

I found several same/similar issues here and some said this was resolved by doing a factory reset. Seriously - I certainly do not want to factory reset my router, just to get Parental Control working. There must be another solution without using such drastic measures.

Any help highly appreciated.

Message 9 of 12
zwalex
Initiate

I saw that I did not explicitely mention, but I have the OpenDNS DNS servers configured on the router (also tried without - same 'error').

I cannot login to OpenDNS from Genie.

Message 10 of 12
Bsquared155
Initiate

I was able to setup a NetGear account no problem.

I was able to locate and download the NetGear Genie app for Iphone. No problem. I can login and logout of the iPhone Genie app- no issues. 

When I tried to setup my parental controls it required me to set up a free Open DNS account.

I was able to establish a OpenDNS account and it said my user is registered, HOWEVER, when I go to login to parental controls it tells me "Username not recognized". 

I cleard everything out and tried it again, same issue.

I signed up with another username and password and it tells me that the user name is registered. I click on "Okay" and try to login, but still the same message pops up "User not recognized".

Anyone have this issue?

Message 11 of 12
MontyTheLab2
Guide

BSquared, that is exactly the same problem that I have had for years now.  I have never been able to resolve it. It's quite frankly, unbelievable that they cannot fix this. I wish that I would have discoved this during my return period.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7