Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device Manager showing all connected device as “Unknown”

CynthiaMoon
Initiate

Device Manager showing all connected device as “Unknown”

I recently purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 router and after installation I noticed the list of connected devices don’t show up properly under the Device Management. Everything shows as “Unknown” so there is no way of figuring out which device is which. Tried looking at this both on iPhone and iPad and none of them works. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this please?

Thank you.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Device Manager showing all connected device as “Unknown”

Just in case this was't done, ensure your router (double check it's a R8000, not e.g. a R8000P,  https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx) has the current firmware in place.

Please add for completeness the Nighthawk App version number, and your router firmware version to this thread.

Looks like we're facing yet one more Nighthawk App incompatibility @Christian_R  @ChristineT .

Message 2 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@CynthiaMoon wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this please?

Screw up between the app and Router... easily 'fixed' though.

See those GREEN 'signal strength' bars? Click on it. Then you CAN edit the info for icon and device name... the catch, YOU have to know which device it is based on the IP Address that is  shown. Oh, another screw up too. If you have a PC best to look at the Browser Genie for the router at the ATTACHED DEVICE list. On the R8000 there IS supposed to be an EDIT function/button there but there isn't, if it was there you could have edited it there and Nighthawk would pick the changes up. Changing the name and icon in Nighthawk does change it on that list at least. Oh, forgot to tell you ANOTHER wonderful 'free' NG firmware bug. DO NOT BELIEVE the ATTACHED DEVICE list as to what SSID devices are really attached too, especially if you had enabled Smart Connect. Trust the data shown on the individual devices ONLY... so far as I can tell, the device IP Address does match the Genie and Nighthawk data (I have both iOS and Andriod version of Nighthawk by the way).

Maybe, just maybe, some day Netgear will wake-up and ACTUALLY fix these ANNOYING problems once and for all, and without introducing new problems... sigh....

Message 3 of 5
CynthiaMoon
Initiate

Couldn't have agreed with you more. It surprised me how something this simple they 'Netgear' couldn't fix it. Your suggestion works and I also discovered another way get the names back and that is by enabling the Parental Control. Once the Parental Control is turned on and one was forced to installed 'Circle' then the names comes through 😛

Message 4 of 5
Rossco57
Initiate

had this about a week now goingg to return it cant edit on phone doesnt save changes then when checking from web browser 

info is corrupt 

top dollar router with at best alpha s/w not impressed anyone any thoughts on better ax router pref one i can change f/w to something that works

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7