Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices on my network stuck in Bypass login but I have no bypass login account

JPCubish
Aspirant

Re: Devices on my network stuck in Bypass login but I have no bypass login account

Its netgear.

Yes, you can go back to older version. See my thread above. I spent 4 minutes on google and found older version.

Using Geek Squad is like taking your Porsche to Cooters' Garage on the Dukes of Hazzard.

Message 51 of 79

I did read your thread and I'm unable to find the older version of the app through the app store.

When I google it, it sends me to a bunch of "what appears to be" untrustworthy websites.

So, how would you suggest I go about downloading that older version on my phone?
Message 52 of 79
RedCheetah
Aspirant

Yeap same problem since iOS 10 update I think. Maybe a coincidence but it's a major pain. Please fix it asap Netgear.
Message 53 of 79
Morelia
Aspirant

Has anyone been able to obtain an update for a fix from Netgear on this? I spoke to them last week, and initially they denied there was an issue, and suggested everything mentioned in this thread as a fix. After pushing them a bit (and numerous requests to put me on hold to "check with others"), they confirmed it was a problem that needed to be addressed. Hopefully someone, somewhere is able to put enough pressure on Netgear to fix their own product. I am sure I am not the only one that purchased their product (Nighthawk X6) in part due to the parental control capabilities.
Message 54 of 79
trevsterx
Tutor

My workaround still works.  Make sure if you change the controls from a particular device you use that same device to unset them. 

Message 55 of 79
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Morelia Are you still having problems? 

Do you have the latest Genie App?

Message 56 of 79
Boris2014
Guide

Still problems this end - found my teenage son on his laptop able to access absolutely everything. On the network his laptop had bypass login against it. Changing that resulted in a message telling me to log out of the bypass account first. I have no bypass account.

Please fix this Netgear - you've known about this issue long enough and nothing is being done that I can see, to fix the problem.
Message 57 of 79
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Boris2014 What's the exact model number of your device? 

What's the Genie version you're using on your laptop and on your mobile device? 

Message 58 of 79
ZeroOne
Guide

@ElaineM Hi Elaine, I'm the OP. Nothing has changed - still does not work. Still can't get devices including Chromecast and printer out of Bypass mode, and I still don't have a bypass account. Android Genie App v2.4.38 (latest on playstore), Firmware v1.0.7.2_1.1.93.

This is a serious security flaw and is going unaddressed for a long time. As others have reiterated, it needs to be fixed. 

Please let us know when this is scheduled to be fixed?

Message 59 of 79
Morelia
Aspirant

@ElaineM Yes, I am still experiencing the same issue as everyone else. This needs to be fixed, as it has been affecting your customers for months now, with no apparent attention from Netgear. I have the latest version of the Genie app, and no ability to set parental controlss on my families devices. When a company advertises specific capabilities, but the product fails to meet those capabilities, it leads to class action lawsuits.

Message 60 of 79
Pasca
Aspirant

Hello everyone,
I had this problem, I solved by resetting the modem-router (D7000), but doing the tests I discovered something much more serious, the Live Parental Control does not work fine.
Setting the default security level to high, and that of individual network devices on the default security level of the router, everything seems to work correctly, but when you change the security level of the individual devices to a different security level (high, moderate, low, minimum and none) LPC only protects against phishing. You can do the function test here: https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227986567-How-to-Test-for-Successful-OpenDNS-Configura...
Too bad, I was fully satisfied with my D7000, a few months ago it worked perfectly.
I tried to contact support in my country, but I did not get satisfaction.
I do not trust most of this modem, and more generally of Netgear products.
I solved the problem by contacting Amazon for allowing me to return my device and refund of the price paid nine months ago. Great Amazon !!!
Excuse my (google) English.
Bye
Pasca
Message 61 of 79

2.4.20 appears to be the version on my Laptop.

Inline image 1

The Version on my Samsung S7 (Verizon) phone is Firmware Version: V1.0.0.44 / Version: 2.4.38

Please help me as this issue is still an issue.

The Bypass login just appeared out of nowhere and is preventing me from making any changes to the Parental Control Filters.
That's the ENTIRE reason I purchased this EXPENSIVE router and paid HUNDREDS to have Geek Squad set it up for me.

If you can NOT repair this issue, am I going to get a full refund for my product?
Message 62 of 79
ManSik21
Aspirant

my DNS addresses are correct and this problem still exists. This started when I changed the devices from the device modify tab to "none" so they werent blocked by the parental controls but now I cant change them back due to this bypass account issue. I never created nor placed them in bypass

Message 63 of 79

Elaine. I never got a response to my last post. I'm still experiencing the issues here with the phone app creating the bypass for no reason.

What is the ETA on this being resolved?
Message 64 of 79
JPCubish
Aspirant

Still nothing

Message 65 of 79
pgolgan
Aspirant

I can't even believe that this is a real company!! How can they ignore an obvious problem?? Not only won't they fix it, they won't even answer on here anymore. This is pathetic. Elaine isn't going to answer us. Right, Elaine?
Message 66 of 79
Boris2014
Guide

Aside from the issue we all face in terms of open access to all, what bothers me considerably is the manner in which Netgear as a company is handling the matters raised here.

Rather than acknowledge there is an issue and thereby owning it with a degree of accountability, the onus is being placed on the customer: that perhaps we haven't downloaded the latest version or perhaps it is our individual and respective sets-ups. This, despite a united voice declaring that there is a problem, no matter which medium we use or which software ( I gather an older version may work).

This is not customer service and to also hear of customers being held for long periods of time while staff pass them from person to person over the phone before finally acknowledging that yes there IS a problem, is outrageous.

We are not idiots and many of us have a degree of technical knowledge - perhaps more and in some cases, much more than you Netgear, care to give us credit for.

Your continual avoidance of engaging with your customers and advising them of updates and progress is appalling. I have been a loyal customer for several years but this whole episode makes me instead opt for a rival product. Furthermore I feel it is time to contact organisations such as CNet and Wired etc as well as post on vendors such as Amazon advising of the issues raised here to warn others.

This whole debacle is as incredulous as it is disgusting.
Message 67 of 79
Morelia
Aspirant

Since NETGEAR has gone completely silent on this issue, despite the reported issue by multiple users, I am now researching alternative brands to replace this R8000 router. While I was researching highly rated routers last night, I found an interesting article posted on Tom's Guide pertaining to Netgear routers ( http://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-nighthawk-router-flaw,news-24015.html ) . This article was published 2 days ago. Two important things to note: #1 - this issue is so bad, the US Government has published a warning regarding the use of Netgear products ( link in article), and #2  - NETGEAR has known about this flaw since August.

If anyone can make any specific recommendations on a non-NETGEAR branded router to replace an R8000, I would be interested in hearing your personal experience.

Thanks,

Morelia

Message 68 of 79

Can u copy the link u found to download the old app version?
Message 69 of 79
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How about if you try to do the following?

Temporarily disable the Wi-Fi on the router
Connect directly to the router through the Ethernet port 
Launch the LPC User Bypass Utility on all machines and sign-out of any bypass accounts.
Uninstall LPC User Bypass Utility
Uninstall the LPC Management Utility 
Launch NETGEAR genie app and click on Parental Controls section and follow the instructions on the screen.

Take note as well that you should be using the right management interface which is  http://netgear.opendns.com.

Message 70 of 79
ZeroOne
Guide

@ElaineM Hi Elaine,

By disconnecting wireless, I will be left with a desktop PC and a printer connected to the router via direct wired ethernet.

Before commencing, can I confirm that at step 3 you would like me to *download* and *install* the LPC User Bypass Utility on the desktop PC, then use it to check if any spurious bypass accounts are visable, then try to delete them? Then at step 4, uninstall the tool again?

Can you please give me a link to download the correct utility so that I ensure I have exactly the right tool?

Thanks.

Message 71 of 79
ZeroOne
Guide

@ElaineM 

So rather than contaminate my current desktop PC, I dragged an old PC out of the garage and managed to get it working. If I ever had any non-Genie Netgear programs installed, it would have been on this PC (retired now for serveral years & before I had this issue). Neither the Managment Utility or User Utility were installed on this PC.

I hunted around the Netgear website for quite some time, and eventually found the Management Utility. I installed this (which took quite some time on the old Pentium D), only to find no mention of Bypass anywhere.

So further hunting around, I eventually found the User Utility. I installed this and ran it, simply to get the "Error: no user accounts configured for this device". Surprise surprise. Annoyment level rather high now...

LPC-UU.png

"It's a bypass. You've got to build bypasses." Prosser, H2G2 (Well someone had to say it)

Message 72 of 79
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ZeroOne What's the Genie version installed on your desktop PC? I am referring to the initial post. 

Message 73 of 79
SteveWyatt
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem and very keen for a solution

Message 74 of 79
SteveWyatt
Aspirant

Checked this setting all OK any other ideas?

Message 75 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7