Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Different download speed between Nighthawk App and SpeedTest App

PacknCards
Follower

Different download speed between Nighthawk App and SpeedTest App

Lately I've been having internet troubles and have been testing on a regular basis. When I use the Nighthawk App (which says it's SpeedTest powered) I get 143 Mbps. But sitting in the same chair, using the same phone and the same wifi network but using the actual SpeedTest app instead I get 50 Mbps. But then if I use a random site on the web it gives me a third (and much lower) speed. Any clue why this is?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Different download speed between Nighthawk App and SpeedTest App

@PacknCards wrote:

When I use the Nighthawk App (which says it's SpeedTest powered) I get 143 Mbps.

That is testing the speed between your router and the outside world, connected to SpeedTest. No wifi involved.

@PacknCards wrote:

But sitting in the same chair, using the same phone and the same wifi network but using the actual SpeedTest app instead I get 50 Mbps.

That is testing the wifi speed between your device and the outside world, going through whichever local server the SpeedTest app finds.

A better comparison with the Nighthawk App is the speed you get with a device wired into your router, using the SpeedTest site, or the Windows app.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7