Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Error: "Login failed. The router response timed out"

xxxxxxx
Guide

Error: "Login failed. The router response timed out"

When I run Netgear Genie and attempt Router Login, I get this error: "Login failed. The router response timed out."

The cable gateway's IP is 192.168.0.1. I also tried 10.51.103.9 (which apparently is the IP address in the internal link between the cable modem part of the gateway and the router part of the gateway).

I can log in as "admin" via Firefox at either IP address.

Windows Firewall does not appear to be the problem.

I'm running Netgear Genie in an attempt to update the firmware, but this problem is stopping me.

Thanks for your help,

Mark.

Message 1 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Re: Error: "Login failed. The router response timed out"

Judging from your other posts, it looks like you have a CG3000D. I don't think Netgear Genie is designed to work with it. Nor do I think the firmware can be upgraded by the user.

Message 2 of 8
xxxxxxx
Guide

It's a DOCSIS-3. The firmware should be upgradable. Other people have done it. My cable ISP (Warner Roadrunner) says it will not push a firmware update because it's my hardware. Warner says to contact Netgear. When I contact Netgear support, the people in India attempt to extort money from me.

A simple firmware update should be downloadable. I thought Netgear Genie might be the way to accomplish that, but Netgear Genie will not run properly.

Message 3 of 8
TheEther
Guru

I didn't say that the firmware couldn't be upgraded. I said that it couldn't be upgraded by the user. AFAIK, modem firmware is usually managed by the ISP because they often customize it to work for their network. I once owned my own Motorola SB6141 cable modem and firmware was not generally available to download and install. Fortunately, my ISP had no problems pushing new firmware to it. It was in their list of supported modems.

In fact, I just looked at Time Warner's list of supported modems and the CG3000D is listed. More importantly, they state that the firmware is "managed and periodically updated by Time Warner and is, therefore, not configurable by end users."

I really doubt that Netgear is going to have generic firmware available to install. I think you should pressure your ISP to upgrade your modem's firmware. You should point them to the page with the statement I quoted above. Do a web search for "But your own Internet modem Time Warner Cable".
Message 4 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Sorry autocorrect messed up. It should be "Buy your own Internet modem Time Warner Cable".
Message 5 of 8
xxxxxxx
Guide

That's a N450 CG3000Dv2. My gateway says "CG3000D". It used to be on Time Warner's approved list.

PIN = 37319809
Serial # = 2CG126UT285AC
UPC = 606449071740
HW Ver = 2.01
SW Ver = V5.5.2RG-05B

I believe "SW Ver" is firmware (not SW). I read in a forum somewhere of a person who was able to update to V5.5.4 and it fixed problems they were having.

However, this may all be moot. I recently removed Intel PROSet WiFi software and my connection has become much more stable. The Intel PROSet apparently was molesting the gateway causing frequent disconnection. Sigh! In persuit of "It should just work", Windows & Intel & Netgear Genie try to fix stuff in the background without user help (or even letting the user know what's going on), and they apparently just step on each others toes, and stuff keeps breaking. "It should just work" is fine when it works. But when it breaks, "It should just work" leaves users with no tools and with their fingers broken.

PS: I should add that, just because a gateway is on Time Warner's approved list, that doesn't mean that Time Warner will push out firmware updates. They say that they will not do it because of "liability". Blame the lawyers.

Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Good to hear that you got your immediate problem resolved.

As far as liability, no disrespect intended, but that's nonsense. If anything, they could be held liable for willfully refusing to do what they said they would do on their own website.

Message 7 of 8
xxxxxxx
Guide

Thanks. You have your sh!t together. I think the issue is that I didn't buy the CG3000D from Time Warner.

What's silly is that a "firmware update" doesn't usually even update the firmware (the code). It usually just updates a register initialization table that's stored in flash memory (sometimes this is the same memory that holds the firmware, but sometimes it's not). I think that DOCSIS3 has commands to write individual register contents and to store (and load) the registers to/from flash. So all that's needed is a DOCSIS tool and the new register value... but of course this is all beyond the scope of a typical user. I was hoping that Netgear Genie would help with that task, but I can't even get Netgear Genie to talk to the gateway.

Oh, well.

Gooday to you!

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7