Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Version 1.4.1.66 and 1.4.1.68 breaks Nighthawk App access

ajbernard
Guide

Firmware Version 1.4.1.66 and 1.4.1.68 breaks Nighthawk App access

I upgrade my router to firmware version 1.4.1.66 and subsequently to 1.4.1.68.  With either version, the NightHawk IOS app will not connect to the router.  Instead I receive the message "Logon timed out, please try again.  If this issue persists, try rebooting your device."  I have rebooted several times with no change. Reverting to firmware version 1.4.1.64 resovles this issue.

Anyone else seeing this?  Anyone found a work around?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ajbernard, 

May you reinstall the Nighthawk app and let us know what app version is installed (please also specify if its iOS or Android).

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 9
ajbernard
Guide

I did that several times prior to and after each firmware upgrade.  Still no access.  Flashing back to older firmware immediately resolves the app access issue.

Message 3 of 9
philmpham
Initiate

Does anyone have a link to an older copy of the firmware? I am sick of this not working and want to go back.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
GamePlayer3K
Aspirant

I ran into the same issue on my R7900P when I finally upgraded firmware to 1.4.1.68. This is a very buggy update. Devices kept losing connection. Watching tv dropped connection like every 40 mins for 30 seconds or more. Very annoying. Nighthawk iOS app failed to login. I had an earlier version and even updating to v2.8.5.16 didn’t help.
I got in once in iOS app but couldn’t disable guest wifi. Failed to save it. It kept dropping me anyway. Then never got to login again and had to use website to administer it. Could not change admin password.

Found older firmware 1.4.1.62 and just reflashed my router. Hopefully this will fix it.

Go to netgear.com/support find your model and it’ll have firmware downloads. Find the Previous Versions. Not easily discoverable.
Message 5 of 9

@GamePlayer3K wrote:
Find the Previous Versions. Not easily discoverable.

That's a baffling statement. Might need clarification for anyone who gets put off.

The support pages for every Netgear device I know of has a large and ever growing library of firmware that goes back to the original version.

Sometimes there are dozens of these things.

The problem isn't finding them, that's easy, but in deciding which one to use.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

When you have the firmware you want, just follow the Release Notes or this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 9
GamePlayer3K
Aspirant

I had to revert to 1.4.1.50 and that’s holding steady for past 12hrs. I got outages every few mins with anything newer. Also I can now connect my iOS app and wifi doesn’t drop me. With previous versions it was hit and miss.

Let me clarify that apparently baffling statement. True, each support page has a Firmware and Software Downloads section. When searching on a phone a page looks way different than in a desktop browser. Yes, I understand responsive design, but sections are different (hidden). As a user I sometimes search for things on my phone while not in front of my pc. Usually I avoid clicking on big blue Downloads buttons on my phone. Even though it’s plural which in my case I overlooked that tiny difference and that it meant to navigate to a different place a link would be better. But scrolling down there aren’t any topics. It’s a small drop down to pick a topic and among those other sections and is hard to miss.

On a desktop, the topics can take a few seconds to load and only the header and footer are shown with topics and top support articles and videos sections getting delay loaded. Just now it took 4-5 seconds for those to become visible. Clicking on the Downloads button has no affect if topics aren’t there. Clicking on it later or any topic completely transforms the topics UI into a new layout. The old topic section is lost forever unless you do a screen refresh. Just a bad UX pattern. Then the Previous version looks like a subsection and isn’t bolded like everything else on that list. So that’s easy to miss since it should be formatted like a heading. Don’t get me started on the poor usage of expanders. But yes, with enough time and reading every single thing will eventually get you to the previous versions.

This is a big company with deep pockets and yet they can’t create a decent and more intuitive UI. Especially since this UX template is used for all their router pages. Tiny investment. They can thank me for this valuable and free UX advice by fixing their firmware. With the lates issues they’re not doing well in the networking space either. And their iOS initialization and login UX sequence is another story.

The more important thing is having to guess which version works. I tested and figured out that 1.4.1.50 works for me. Sad part is if I didn’t have another working router which happens to be a R7960P (with 1.4.1.50) then I wouldn’t have internet. Luckily I knew better not to make update to both at the same time. I just hope they release a new stable update.
Message 7 of 9
philmpham
Initiate

I was able to follow the above directions and reset back two versions. App is working now.

Thanks

Message 8 of 9

@philmpham wrote:

I was able to follow the above directions and reset back two versions. App is working now.

Thanks

The firmware and the app are designed to work together. They change the firmware and tweak the mobile to take account of the  updates.

As you have discovered "designed to work together" is more an aspiration than something that they achieve ever time.

Unfortunately, while users can control the firmware we install, this is much harder for apps in Android and iOS .

The real killer is when these "improvements" actually do lasting damage, like adding features to the firmware (think Circle parental controls) which you have to pay for). We then ended up with apps that took away the ability to use the free version of parental controls

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7