Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie App on Windows 10 FAIL

ninja661
Luminary

Genie App on Windows 10 FAIL

Wondering if anyone else has had problems with the latest edition of the Genie app for Windows 10? I have tried it, the installer launches but then I get errors about missing DLL files and a whole slew of other files missing.  I have a clean install of Windows 10 and no other installer errors.  I have looked at the router log and no attacks.  I am wondering if the installer has been corrupted somehow? I am on Windows 10 Pro without other installer problems.  Ideas are welcomed as I would like to get the Readyshare Vault working.

Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13
antinode
Guru

> Wondering if anyone else has had problems with the latest edition of
> the Genie app for Windows 10? [...]

Everyone who's tried it?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1496338

Assuming, of course, that your "the latest edition of the Genie app
for Windows" is equivalent to this:

http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/update/NETGEARGenie-install.exe

Message 2 of 13
ninja661
Luminary

That is the little beasty that tried and failed numerous times - any fixes? Just wait until Netgear replaces it or ?

Message 3 of 13
antinode
Guru

> That is the little beasty that tried and failed numerous times

Why would it do anything different the second time?

>  - any fixes? Just wait until Netgear replaces it or ?

Not my software.  Trying to reverse-engineer what might be a bug or a
corrupt kit sounds to me like a waste of (my) time.  I have enough
trouble with the web-browser interface on these things, so I've never
bothered with would would seem to be one more layer of unreliable
(Netgear) software.

Message 4 of 13
MarvinT
Aspirant

I have read  with dismay the comments on the problem with the new Genie upgrade because I have experienced the same problem, in fact I cannot get Genie to upgrade itself on downlod it goes nowhere after the MS permissions box has been accepted but also I cannot download the file because I get this error comment.

CODE EXECUTION CANNOT PROCEED BECAUSE
ADVAPIPK___.dll WAS NOT FOUND REINSTALLING the program may fix it

so either this app is corrupted when put on site or there is an error in the code, I think the latter must be the case because surelt the app would have had to be tested before release surely. This makes suggestions  and download links to the file useless because the error stated above still occurs. My only hope is some one from Netgera takes this seriously if there are security fixes or we will jjust have to wait for the next release no choice because all other options people have treid  here do not work.

Thanks for listening

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 13

wrote:

Wondering if anyone else has had problems with the latest edition of the Genie app for Windows 10?

Which "latest version" do you have in mind?

Did you download one or did the desktop genie throw it up as an update?

Different devices offer different "latest versions" for download.

By the way, the version flagged up in the release notes for your hardware's version may not agree with the details in the file you retrieve.

For example, the D6400 has release notes for the 2.4.52 / 2.4.32,. The file you get is 2.4.48. This seems to be what you get for various devices.

Message 6 of 13
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Netgear has fixed this problem yesterday. It works now whether with direct download or through Netgeargenie app.
Message 7 of 13
MarvinT
Aspirant

well Iam glad I posted on this topic because the problem has been resolved and I feel better for the update to the Genie app because of security upgrades/fixes etc. so thanks to all those whom posted and to the Genie app people for listening which led to this solution

Thank you

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 13
ninja661
Luminary

They have fixed it but for some reason it keeps shelling out to a CMD shell - reasons unknown.

Message 9 of 13
ninja661
Luminary

Now if we can just get the iOS apps to sync with the router, I'll be happy as a clam!  I have correctly updated the router attached device list, but the apps still have some major issues reading the device list correctly - for example my iPhone is listed as an iPhone 8 (it's a iPhone SE) and other oddities.

Message 10 of 13
ninja661
Luminary

They may have fixed 1 issue, but created another dozen or two to fix.

I wish they (Netgear) had better quality control before releasing any apps or hardware into the wild (production) because the Genie app is still flaky/flawed all the way around. 

When I try looking at the network map on my desktop PC via the Web interface, it shows all devices accounted for (well. mostly) correct with a few unknowns.  When I correct them directly via the web interface it keeps them pretty well.  If I use the mobile app, all h*ll breaks loose.  Devices show up as the wrong types and if you correct them using either the Netgear Up app or the Genie App, it gets worse - you lose everything and for example, my desktop shows as a tablet, my TV is an unknown (even though it was set up correctly via the router directly tieing into the the router web page.

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE!

Message 11 of 13
whdevl
Aspirant

I had same isssues. Simple fix everytime. Open the download folder to locate file you downloaded, right-click it and select run as administrator.

Message 12 of 13
ninja661
Luminary

Tried that and still same problems - router vs app device lists are completely different no matter if the app or programs are removed, reinstalled. I have even tried the “Nighthawk” app which gets closer, but not quite there, Sorry but running as admin is not the answer at least on this router.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7