Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie Destop Application Won't Let Me Log In

lennyr
Tutor

Genie Destop Application Won't Let Me Log In

While I can administer the R8000 from the web interface, the Genie application (on Windows 8.1) won't let me log in, although the features that don't need an admin login seem to work. When I go to log in I get a message in red text saying "NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router, and no IPv6 is enabled."

The word "supported" is a link to this page:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24686

which doesn't list the R8000.

Why include the Genie application with the router when it doesn't work with it?
Message 1 of 13
Fairytail
Virtuoso

What version of Genie you are using? Is your computer connected via wired or wireless? Have you tried a different computer aside from 8.1?
Message 2 of 13
lennyr
Tutor

I'm using Genie 2.3.1.25. The problem manifests whether wired or wireless. I haven't installed Genie yet on other machines, but when I put it on a non 8.1 machine I'll post.
Message 3 of 13
Lexist2112
Luminary

I guess he figured it out.

Latest NG Genie works great for me on Win 8
Message 4 of 13
Bazz156
Aspirant

I'm having exactly the same problem.

Genie version 2.4.12

Netgear model D6000 AC750 WiFi DSL Modem

Windows 7

Message 5 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Bazz156,

I will need the following information for me to provide you with a recommendation:

1. Does the issue happen on other devices (smartphones, other computers)?

2. Was it working before?

3. What is the firmware version of the D6000?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 13
spikepol
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem and the genie thinks that I'm still using my old router. I just upgraded to nighthawk r7000 and I'm using Windows 10
Message 7 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @spikepol,

Please try uinstalling and re-installing the NETGEAR Genie app from the computer. Also, please make sure that the R7000 is using the latest firmware.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 13
spikepol
Aspirant

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling genie several times to no avail, the router also has the latest firmware also the computer that is hardwired Will not let me log in. I have a kindle and a laptop that will log in, hence the firmware update.
Message 9 of 13
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @spikepol,

Please use this link to download another version of the NETGEAR Genie program and check if it gives the same error.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 10 of 13
spikepol
Aspirant

thanks for the link but it still comes up with the same problem. Everything works really well, its just gets annoying that i cant log onto the router from my main computer, i have even tried to factory reset the router and that didnt work either. I even put the genie on my kindle and it works, i cant think of anything else to try and i would be grateful for any other sugestionsyou might have.

Message 11 of 13
Meo034
Aspirant

Have you tried changing the password back to the default password and see if you are able to login from your main computer? It is the only way I can access the wireless router 😞

Message 12 of 13
spikepol
Aspirant

That was one of first things I tried. I have a computer in the basement that can access the router so I will use it until I can sort out the problem with my main computer. But I will keep trying all the tips that are given. Many thanks
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7