Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Genie Media Servers?

Anach
Guide

Genie Media Servers?

Where does one place files to share across the Netgear Genie Media Server?

Upon installing Netgear Genie I notice my PC is now sharing a "Genie Media Server" to my TV, however, I have no idea where to place files for the TV to access via this server, and cannot find anything in the manual.

Message 1 of 7
Anach
Guide

Re: Genie Media Servers?

To clarify. The Netgear Genie software enables each Windows PC it's installed upon as a "Genie Media Servers - SimpleDMS DJ-DMS" server. However, there is no where in the manual that states where to place files for this media server.
Message 2 of 7
Anach
Guide

I have tried live chat support for help with this issue, but it seems they have no idea what Im talking about (frustrating).
Message 3 of 7
llagos
Initiate

Just discovered this. In my wife's PC, she has as "portable devices" a lot of "folders" from my computer, and just one from her daughter's computer.

We don't want to share any stuff, and more over, waste BW with this thing none asked for.

Any idea where do we disable it?

Thanks,
Message 4 of 7
Anach
Guide

What I was told by another user is that the files are taken from your Windows Libraries, which are essentially 'My Pictures', 'My Music', 'My Videos', etc. However, mine wasn't sharing any files within my libraries.

I agree, it needs an option to turn it off.
Message 5 of 7
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

You should look at the file sharing settings of you operating systems which may vary from one OS to another. I have stayed at hotels where the network settings for their 'free' WiFi had very few security settings and any PC could see any other PC on the lan, it would not be unusal to see PCs sharing music/video/photos/documents and the person using that PC is probably oblivious to the fact.

When I use a network scanner with my LAN (I use http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/) I will see everything that each computer is set to share, that's without any kind of Netgear Genie running.
Message 6 of 7
LShack
Initiate

I have the same questions. Netgear, I bought this nighthawk R7000 product so I can post photos to the router and view them at my convenience. I don't own TIVO. Is this a requirement to get this functionality?
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7