Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie - Parental Controls, cannot change settings on individual devices in the network map

shawn53913
Initiate

Genie - Parental Controls, cannot change settings on individual devices in the network map

I set the default for parental controls to High during initial setup on the router. Then in the network map area, I tried to change the settings per user device, but when I click apply, the settings default back to the original "default level on router". How to I get these changes to take effect?

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 1 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Genie - Parental Controls, cannot change settings on individual devices in the network map

Hi @shawn53913,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your NETGEAR device?

2. What is the version of the NETGEAR Genie app/program that you are using?

3. Have you tried using another device (Android, iOS, another computer) to setup the per device filtering level?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @shawn53913,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 18
Harangen
Initiate

Hi, 

I have the same problem. 

I'm unable to change the settings for each device, neither from PC or from iPhone app. 

iPhone app gives me at least an error message "PC_Remind_SetFailed". 

The PC application "Netgear geni" version 2.4.36 on Windows 10 (which crashes all the time). 

Model R7000 newest firmware 1.0.7.6.

Changes I have set earlier with an older firmware and older Geni app is still there, but changing any new devices fails. 

Message 4 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Harangen,

1. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app/program?

2. Have you tried resetting the router?

3. Was it working before?

4. Have you tried using another device (Android, another computer)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 18
Jenhedr
Initiate

I had this same problem, and then finally figured out that you can only change the settings of 10 devices to anything other than default.
Past 10 devices and they will just keep reverting to default. You'll have to change a different device to default.
It's a really terrible set up.
I'm trying to figure out how to erase old devices that are no longer being used and that I don't have access to.
Very frustrating.
Message 6 of 18
skiddles6969
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue l.I have tried to change individual parental controls on both the app and the pc and it doesn't work. It was working great up until this week. I've tried uninstallin the app and reinstalling and that didn't work either. Please help!
Message 7 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Jenhedr,

1. Do the unused/inactive devices still show up on the Network Map?

2. Have you tried uninstalling then re-installing the app/program?

3. Is the behavior the same no matter what device you use to individually set a filtering level?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @skiddles6969,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your device?

2. What error message are you getting?

3. Have you tried disabling and re-enabling Parental Controls?

4. Have you tried resetting the device?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 18
Harangen
Initiate

Hi,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of your device?

Product: R7000

Current Firmware: 1.0.5.70_1.1.91 (after resetting everything)

Previous Firmware: 1.0.7.6_1.1.99

2. What error message are you getting?

No error messages, the device changes back to "default router" instead of none.

3. Have you tried disabling and re-enabling Parental Controls?

Yes, in all possible ways, including creating a new OpenDNS account.

4. Have you tried resetting the device?

Yes, I have uninstalled, installed, and reinstalled Netgear Geni on iphone, ipad, and two windows computers with the same issue.

I have changed/downgraded the firmware did not work either.   

I have reset the router, and now I’m able to. This resultet in a lot of work with a household of 12 apple devices, 4 printers, 10+ computers.

I do not know/dear to upgrade the router with the latest firmware in case that messes things up again, after many hours of cleaning up.

I have also had this behavior earlier, but then it helped to use the iPad software.

I have used serveral different versions/revisions of the Netgear Geni, but some fails on Windows 10,

Cheers, Roger

Message 10 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Harangen,

Thank you for providing n update. Please continue to monitor if the issue persists and keep us posted.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 18
shawn53913
Initiate

Yes, I am still experiencing the problem. And also encountered a different one in the last couple of nights. 

Here's the scenario:

8 kids in the home, some with phones, some with kindles, some with android tablets, some just using laptops & tv's.

Because I cant control the individual devices, when a couple were naughty I simply just changed the password, which thankfully kicked everyone off the network. However, the next night, when I returned home, the password had reverted back to the original password. How does that happen?

I will get the model info etc. asap. 

Message 12 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @shawn53913,

The only way for it to revert back is if the device is reset. Please keep us posted and the additional details and answers to my inquiry would help a lot.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 18
skiddles6969
Aspirant

I have the N600 router. I have updated to the most recent version available. The message I get is that it faIles to set parental control settings. I can't even get my phone, which has the genie app to change from default settings to none. I have reset the router, the modem, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, nothing has worked. There are some devices that are set to bypass however, they don't have a bypass account nor the genie app installed. I'm not sure what caused this to happen, everything was working pretty well up unail about 3-4 weeks ago.
Message 14 of 18

Is this really true? Has someone at Netgear verified this? This would make the app pretty much useless. 

Message 15 of 18
clowden73
Aspirant

I tried the steps outlined above.
1. Set all the 'controlled' devices to be the - Default Level on Router.
2. Set all the parent devices to be custom controlled, by using ' Minimal' on the Genie and you'll be ok.
Provided you have all your controlled devices set up Default router, you can have up to 10 that have a custom control.

Sucks that Netgear has this limitation, we have a large number of devices in our house. Would be nice to have a bit more flexibility (more than 10) in the devices that don't need to be monitored or controlled.

N6900, bought from Costco if the router I'm using. Should be same as the N900.

Running Android Genie 3.1.28.
The router is at the latest firmware as well.

Cheers.
Message 16 of 18

The "more than 10" limit is not true. I've changed settings for more tha 10 devices. However, it seems that I cannot change the settings for certain specific devices.

Message 17 of 18
Ghimm
Aspirant

So in order to resolve the filtering of the router and better simplify monitoring and blocking as well as usage, (Albeit I may have complicated things even more, but am looking for a more consolidated solution) here's what I did:

Purchased a second router, set it up as an access point only, and then made that WiFi the kids wifi network. I changed the main wifi password/SSID for the main router so only the parents used that router directly.  Although this is a bit more expensive, it made monitoring and managing a little easier since I set a filter for the logs of the IP of the kids' access point.  I added all the websites from those logs I didn't like to the access control list in the main router, and set the QoS for the Kid's AP to Medium, and set all the parents devices to High or Highest (that way kids don't hog all the bandwidth). When I go search the logs on the main router for the static IP of the Kids' router I can see all the sites and services they are attempting to use simplified, also in the console of the kids' router the wifi signal on their router is scheduled when to turn off & on.  When I have time I'll probably end up buying a small business grade router that has more granularity for controls that can outright block specific URL's since keyword blocking isn't perfect...adding URL's in a console that understands the * command would make it so much easier. e.g. *website.com/* so it blocks everything from that specific site and it's sub sites.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7