Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie Updated last night.. Now will not work (windows 10)

carll76
Apprentice

Genie Updated last night.. Now will not work (windows 10)

Hello, Genie updated last night and will not working on my windows 10 surface pro.

I've unstalled and reinstalled a number of times as both admininstrator and normal user.   Any ideas on fixing this ??

Genie not working.PNG

Message 1 of 12

Does the machine have a "System Restore" option.

With a change that recent, my first move would be to roll back to the most recent restore point before you applied the update.

Message 2 of 12
carll76
Apprentice

unfortunalty I didn't set a restore point..  Didn't think I would need it as only updated an app...

Message 3 of 12
carll76
Apprentice

Just installed the app on another windows 10 laptop (one that I have never installed the app on before) same issue..  Same error...

Message 4 of 12

It installed fine here on two PCs.

No System Restore? Investigate making it happen.

This should not be something that you need to create. Windows should do it automatically unless you tell it otherwise. Maybe Windows 10 thinks you don't need it. Grrr.

Message 5 of 12
carll76
Apprentice

Windows 10 does it but you have to tell it 🙂

I'm thinking it could be router side.. Preventing it from connecting ??

Might factory reset the router in tommrow and see if it works.

Message 6 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @carll76,

May I know if the factory reset worked?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 12
carll76
Apprentice

Hello @DexterJB

Unfortunately not.. I'm running the latest firmware on the router.  Iphone and Ipad connect through Genie no problem at all (network map is slow to render)

I found an older version on the net 2.3.1.25 and that works.  (its a very small window, hard to read).. On the surface pro screen.  This is what it looked like before I updated.

The version I'm downloading from the netgear site is 2.1.4.16.0 (this one crashes and gives the above error message)..  I've tried installing as Admin and running as Admin..  Installing as Admin and running normally, installing Normally and running as Admin and every time it crashes..

I've also tried installing it on another windows 10 laptop (Lenovo) tonight that its never been on (version 2.1.4.16.0) that loads 🙂  

Is this a Surface pro thing ??  I've got to do a clean install of windows 10 at the weekend so will try again then..

Best regards,

Carl.

Message 8 of 12
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @carll76,

The NETGEAR Genie app was not yet programmed to be DPI-aware and will appear very small on high resolution screens such as the Surface Pro. As with the other thread where you also posted, please try the older version (2.4.12) of the app and see if it works.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 12
carll76
Apprentice

@DexterJB

Figured it was a DPI thing.. I have replied in the other thread...sorry for starting this one :(...

Feel free to close out this thread.

Message 10 of 12
Valyn
Aspirant

I am not sure I follow how that fixed the issue with the new Genie shutting down.

I am haveing the same issue, Genie gets shut down when you try to start it and I am JUST now putting it on my HP laptop.  

So, explain how the issue is solved (Other then using older versions of Genie), because I would really love to beable to use it on my laptop instead of my Kindle Fire HDX.

Thanks

Message 11 of 12
carll76
Apprentice

I'm running an older verison (apart from being really small on the screen (DPI) it works just fine..  To be honest I'm mostly using the WEB GUI..

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7