Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie app won't connect to OpenDNS

justwondering01
Aspirant

Genie app won't connect to OpenDNS

I am trying to useGenie Parental controls and when I attempt to login to my OpenDNS I get the following error

"There was an error signing, in please make sure you're connected to the Internet and try again"

I am connected to the internet and I can open my account using the same email and password on the OpenDNS site but Genie will not connect.

I have a N600 Wireless Dual Band. Model DGND3700v2 running firmware V1.1.00.15_1.00.15NA

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 41

Accepted Solutions
Patentagosse
Aspirant

Got it to work! In the end, it looks like the router did not reset properly when it was shut down. So I unplugged it, then put the power switch to on/of 4 or 5 times (to discharge the capacitors), then plugged the power cord back in. Once fully booted, the Genie app was able to talk to the router on the first try. What is wierd is that in the last weeks, all other devices must have contuinued to work with the Genie app since Parental Control/by-pass account was still working fine...

Weird one...

Anyway, thanks for your help Dexter! And I hope this is of use to someone... 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 40 of 41

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @justwondering01,

Have you tried using other devices (other computer, smartphone, tablet)?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 41
justwondering01
Aspirant

I tried two other computers and I get the same error.  If I put the wrong user name and password I get the "Opps, we don't recoginize that user name or password" error.  So I know it is looking at the OpenDNS info.

Message 3 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @justwondering01,

1. Please try using a mobile device and install the NETGEAR Genie app.

2. What is the operating system of the computers that are experiencing the issue?

3. What is the version of the NETGEAR Genie program installed on the computers?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 41
J4U
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issue on both PC W10 and Android app.  The PC error (V.12 of Genie as others do not work at all)is to make sure you are connected to the internet and try again.  The Android just loops back to the login screen wanting you to retry.

Message 5 of 41
TCO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue with W10 & android

Message 6 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TCO and @J4U,

This situation has already been reported. I will be sending an inquiry to Engineering and provide an update on this thread.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 7 of 41
gwinner936
Aspirant

Same issue with an R8000. Tried to login using Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and IOS9.

Message 8 of 41
moytyler
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue, don't know what to do. I have the R7000. I have tried for well over an hour and to no avail. Using a Macbook pro. 

Message 9 of 41
rock_roller
Initiate

same issue on R8000  something is blocking Genie from connecting to Open DNS. Have had two support techs try for over 3 hours of troubleshooting to no avail. My old ASUS router parental controls worked perfectly. Hope they can fix this soon.

Message 10 of 41
johnathome
Aspirant

Same issue on D6400 with Android and Windows
Message 11 of 41
kolbyjh
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with R6400.  I have tried using the Netgear Genie app from Windows 7, iPad 2 with iOS 9.1, and iPhone 5s with iOS 9.1.  On Windows I get the error message specified in the original post.  On the iPad and iPhone the app usually crashes when attempting to configure the parental controls and logon to openDNS.

Message 12 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @kolbyjh@johnathome@rock_roller, and @moytyler,

You should be able to login to your OpenDNS account through the NETGEAR Genie and manage your LPC (Live Parental Controls) settings.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 13 of 41
J4U
Aspirant
Aspirant

Works like a charm from Android remotely. Thanks Dexter!
Message 14 of 41
justwondering01
Aspirant

I tried again from my desktop and got the same error but I was able to download the app on to my iPhone and it worked like it was supposed to.  I will try removing the software from my desktop and reinstalling it.  Thanks for getting this fixed.

Message 15 of 41
jazy91
Aspirant

Hello,

I have a C3700 and I'm getting the same error. I have tried on PC, Ipad, Iphone and Android device, I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times but get the same error every time.  Please help me. Thank you.

Message 16 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jazy91,

If you are in the process of creating an OpenDNS account through the NETGEAR Genie, please make sure that the password contains upper case, lower case, number, and special character. If it still fails to register, create a password that is exactly 15 characters long as a work around.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 17 of 41
jazy91
Aspirant

Hello. Thanks but it's still not working.  I even created a different OpenDNS account and still no luck.  What else can I try?

Message 18 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jazy91,

That is a bit strange since most were already able to log in or create an OpenDNS account.

1. What is the firmware version of your device?

2. Have you tried using another device/computer to log in or register?

3. Are you getting an error message? If yes, may I know what it is?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 19 of 41
MSCa4lsbad
Aspirant

I have tried android and pc and can not login either. If i enter wrong password, it tells me, so my password is right. With rigjht pw,  It thinks for about 10 seconds and then just shows login screen again without logging me in.

Message 20 of 41
jazy91
Aspirant

I'm on firmware V1.01.11

I have tried on a PC, an iPad, an iPhone and Lenovo Android tablet.  Get the same message on all of them.

The error I receive is:

There was an error signing in, please make sure you're connected to the internet and try again.

I can sign in on OpenDNS.com just fine and when I try to sign in on netgear.opendns.com I get a message saying: "This account doesn't have any netgear devices associated with it." and asks me to download the netgear software again.

I hope this helps. I have uninstalled and reinstalled on all devices several times and still no luck.

Message 21 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jazy91 and @MSCa4lsbad,

Please try logging in again. If you are still encountering the same issue, try performing a factory reset on your NETGEAR devices then reconfigure the setting. After successfully reconfiguring the settings, uninstall and reinstall the NETGEAR Genie programs/apps from your devices and see if it works.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 22 of 41
jazy91
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for the week. I reset it completely back to factory then reprogrammed it from scratch and still get the same error.  Could it be my provider blocking the OpenDNS function? I ran some of the troubleshooting tools on the OpenDNS site and there are some errors but not sure what's going on.

Message 23 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @jazy91,

May I know which ISP you are subscribed to?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 24 of 41
jazy91
Aspirant

Orbitel Communications.

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies