Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Genie app won't connect to OpenDNS

DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Genie app won't connect to OpenDNS

Hi @jazy91,

As it stands, the current firmware for the device is version 2.02.06 and is available for Comcast and Time Warner Cable only. I would recommend checking with your ISP if they have any updates since firmware releases are handled by them.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 26 of 41
Shabinaafridi
Aspirant

Same issue with R 6300. Can't connect to DNS to set up parenteral control. Once you have Netgear account, why bother with opnDND trouble making account. It should be totally deleted and there should be a smith transition to access parenteral control.
Message 27 of 41
Shabinaafridi
Aspirant

Spend hours to set up a open DNS account but it says your device is already connected to another DNS account which doesn't make sense
Message 28 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Shabinaafridi,

1. Have you used the router with a different OpenDNS account before?

2. Is it the first time that you are signing up for an OpenDNS account?

3. Did you try signing up through the NETGEAR Genie or through the OpenDNS website itself?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 29 of 41
Trippychick367
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, I apparently have 3 dns accounts with my 3 emails, none will work( I have 3 because there is no discernible way to retrieve user names or passwords). I using an andriod
Message 30 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trippychick367,

1. Are you trying to sign up for an OpenDNS account through the NETGEAR Genie?

2. Are you getting an error message? If yes, what is the error message?

3. Have you tried setting up using another device (another smartphone, tablet, PC)?

4. What is the model number and firmware version of your NETGEAR device?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 31 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Trippychick367,

I would like to follow up if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 32 of 41
Patentagosse
Aspirant

Hello all!

I see a lot of you are having the same issue I have. I also get the "There was an error signing, in please make sure you're connected to the Internet and try again" message when trying to login to OpenDNS inside the latest Genie app. I am running Win 10 (fully updated) and my router tells me it's already up to the latest firmware.

What is the most likely cause and the latest possible solution to this problem?

Please note that I have other devices on my network, all working perfectly fine using the Genie app for Windows or Android. Devices under Windows that work okay are all runnning Win 7 SP1 though... this might be a clue.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 33 of 41
Patentagosse
Aspirant

I still haven't found a fix for this. Is anyone still around on this forum? Does anyone from Netgear know about this issue? O.o

Message 34 of 41
Patentagosse
Aspirant

This forum seems to be dead. Can anyone tell me how I can get support for the Genie application appart from the Netgear forum? Thanks!

Message 35 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Patentagosse,

1. What is the model number and firmware version of the router?

2. What version of the NETGEAR Genie program do you have installed?

3. Was it working before?

4. Is the computer connected via wired or wireless?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 36 of 41
Patentagosse
Aspirant

Oh, hi! I didn't think this forum was still active. Thanks for your reply!

This is a weird one since my other computers (all Win7) and devices (Android) still work fine with that router and the Genie app...

The router is a N600 (WNDR3700v3) with v1.0.0.38_1.0.31 firmware (the auto-updarter says it's up to date).

The Genie app I installed when I first got my new PC last month was the latest version (v2.4.32). I don't think there is a more recent version.

The PC that cannot work with my Genie app and router combination is connected through an ethernet port and runs Win10 (first one on my network). Since all other devices work fine, I am quite certain que problem is not with the router. I'm thinking their might be some problem with the Genie app under Win10 where some functionnalities will not work.

BTW, I even went to the trouble of reinstalling the app, disabling the anti-virus (latest Avast version without the firewall module). I really did all I could think of to have this thing working... 😕

Message 37 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Patentagosse,

Please try installing the latest version of NETGEAR Genie for Windows which is version 2.4.34.

http://netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 38 of 41
Patentagosse
Aspirant

Thanks... but no joy. Smiley Indifferent Under Router Settings, it can't connect to the router (saying I'm not connected to the Internet) and parental control login still fails too.

I uninstalled the previous version, rebooted, then installed the new one. I also tried running the program with all anti-virus modules off. No change. Windows Firewall is fully off...

Message 39 of 41
Patentagosse
Aspirant

Got it to work! In the end, it looks like the router did not reset properly when it was shut down. So I unplugged it, then put the power switch to on/of 4 or 5 times (to discharge the capacitors), then plugged the power cord back in. Once fully booted, the Genie app was able to talk to the router on the first try. What is wierd is that in the last weeks, all other devices must have contuinued to work with the Genie app since Parental Control/by-pass account was still working fine...

Weird one...

Anyway, thanks for your help Dexter! And I hope this is of use to someone... 🙂

Message 40 of 41
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Patentagosse,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 41 of 41