Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie iOS app

Shznav
Guide

Genie iOS app

Is anyone having trouble logging into the router from the genie app since the last firmware upgrade? No matter what I do I can't log into it. I also hate the new layout of the iOS app. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Message 1 of 23
mgbnet
Guide

Yes, I can't connect to my R8000 from the Genie iOS app on either my iPhone or iPad now. I installed the router firmware update the other day and today was the first time I'd tried to use the apps to connect.

The iPhone fails to login with the error "The network connection is busy...". The iPad fails with the error "NETGEAR router was not foud or is not supported".

Message 2 of 23
mstang
Aspirant

I thought I was going nuts with this problem until I read your post.  I had also updated to the 1.0.3.36 firmware but hadn't tried parental controls right away.  Same issues, unable to connect from IOS app and Mac app kept trying to access various keychain entries (unrelated to netgear).

I backed my firmare down to the previous rev 1.0.3.32 and now all is working again 🙂

Message 3 of 23
Shznav
Guide

I'm getting the same message that the network is busy or thebonce in a blue moon it connects the network map is only showing the router and my phone. None of my other devices (of which I have 9 currently connected) show up. Only if I log into the router interface on the website but not using the Genie App. How do you roll back the firmware?

Thanks for all your help and feedback guys.
Message 4 of 23
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

Please make sure that you reset the router back to factory settings after successfully updating the firmware. Then you can uninstall and re-install the iOS app. Also, please check if the issue persists on your other devices (another iOS device, Android, Mac, PC).

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 23
mgbnet
Guide

Nope. That didn't work. 

I backed up my router settings.

Reset the router to factory default.

Restored my router settings.

Uninstall the app from my iPhone and iPad.

Reinstalled the app on my iPhone and iPad.

Now the iPhone won't log in to the router. It tells me the "NETGEAR router was not found or is not supported". I've double checked my password entry and I've tried manually specifying the router IP address.

The iPad logs in (hence I know the password and IP address I tried on the iPhone are correct) but clicking on the various tiles gives various errors:

• Wifi tile - "Connection timed out"
  • Guest WiFi tile - "The action failed. Try again"
  • Network map - only shows the internet, the router and the iPad. No other devices on my network.
  • Traffic meter - "The router failed to respond with expected result."

This is a really sucky firmware upgrade experience!

Message 6 of 23
guyguy
Apprentice

The Genie app sucks and terrible.  PERIOD.  

Message 7 of 23
pserratore
Tutor

The iOS Version is a BUG!
Message 8 of 23
bro79
Aspirant

I also have a netgear r8000 having the same issues not being able to log into the genie app on iphone, android and PC.  The issue started right after the last firmware update.  

I have tried the following and still the same

• Factory reset and restore of config
  • Factory reset using stock config 
  • Power cycled unit many times

Still having the issue and seems like I'm not the only one with the problem. 

Message 9 of 23
guyguy
Apprentice

BRO79~ You are going to have problems with this router and you will continue to have issues either with the router or Genie app.  Why do you think I bad mouth this router and Genie app.  Both are terrible and Netgear sucks. Like you, I bought the r8000 router based on Amazon reviews and other reviewers say how great this router is and it is powerful and a work of art. It is fast and blah, blah, blah.  After about two weeks of using it, I was like what the hell, this is the same router that some people are saying is GREAT. I thought I made a mistake, I thought I bought the wrong router.  Trust me, there is NOTHING great about this router. This is my opinion and it is based on using the stupid thing. My heads still spins around, thinking that Netgear dupes people into buying a 300 dollar router and give lame features.  Netgear has some money deal with OpenDNS to provide the filtering process. In this case, you bought a paperweight. 

Message 10 of 23
Shznav
Guide

Even after the new iOS update to the genie app I still can't log in. It keeps telling me log in failed and to cycle the router which I've done countless times. This is beyond frustrating and unless you pay netgear for tech support I'm assuming we would get no help. I have a good mind to switch to Asus
Message 11 of 23
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

We are currently investigating the issue. We will provide an update once available.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 12 of 23
mgbnet
Guide

Just an FYI for the thread on my current troubleshooting.

After factory reset of the router, the apps worked. I stepped through reconfiguring my router to my preferred settings, testing the apps as I went along.

The point at which the apps stopped working was when I changed the router LAN IP address from the default 192.168.1.1 to one I preferred. That broke the apps, even when using the "enter IP address manually" option to log in.

Now my router is fully configured with all my settings the apps work if I change the LAN IP address back to 192.168.1.1 but break if I change it to anything else.

It's almost like the apps are hard coded for the default address and their discovery or manual IP entry options are broken.

Message 13 of 23
Shznav
Guide

Hey, thanks for the info. My default internal IP is set at that and I still have the issues. What router do you have? I have Nighthawk x6 R8000. And I tried the factory reset a bunch of times. The app then works once and then says log in failed after that. It says router not found check to see if connected to guest network (which I'm not) and make sure that IPv6 is disabled which it is. So I have no idea what the problem is. Also after doing the factory reset for some reason my speed went down on a wired LAN from 600 Mbps what I'm getting from my isp and then would top out at 450 Mbps. Makes no sense. Especially wired in with Cat5e.
Message 14 of 23
mgbnet
Guide

I have the R8000 too.

For the weird speeds, I found I had to disable Dynamic QoS to get the appropriate speeds. I did do some digging online and found a few folks with that same problem and disabling the Dynamic QoS seems to be the answer.

Message 15 of 23
Shznav
Guide

I had the same issue Dynamic QoS did the same thing to me. I'm just puzzled if this is a router issue or a cable modem issue from my isp. Do you put your cable modem into bridge mode and turn off the wifi settings on it? That's what I did. Still having the same problem.
Message 16 of 23
mgbnet
Guide

I don't have the cable modem my ISP normally provides. I use Comcast and the modem they provide is just dreadful. I returned that and bought my own. They're cheap enough!  The one I purchased is a basic DOCSIS 3.0 modem, with no onboard WiFi: http://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/cable-modems/sb6141/ 

Not sure if that helps you, but that's my set up.

Message 17 of 23
Shznav
Guide

Hi Dexter, has there been any update to the Genie App? I still can't log in (saying router not found) even though I'm attached to it. Also when I reset the router it works once and then if I log out of the Genie App it says log-in failed if I try to get into it again. This is very frustrating and there has been no resolution even though I emailed Netgear directly about this as well. I have been a loyal customer all the way back since I first bought my N300 router from you guys. Since that time I have bought 5 more routers for either myself or family members. I'm tired of this App not working since the last firmware came out for my R8000. I believe I will be switching to Asus and recommending that my friends and family do the same if we can't get this resolved ASAP.

Please advise
Message 18 of 23
mstang
Aspirant

Try rolling back your firmware version. same happened to me, I went back to to 1.0.3.32 and it worked fine again.
Message 19 of 23
mgbnet
Guide

To be honest, I've given up on trying to get the Genie apps to work. I've had a numerous message exchanges and calls with Netgear support. I've factory reset my router and resotred the config for them a couple of times. I've walked through resetting my router and manually step by step reconfiguring my configuration, identifying the exact config change that breaks Genie.

I've even isolated it so that I can change one configuration and enable Genie, then change it back and break Genie. It seems to come down to the local IP address of the router. If I set it to 192.168.1.1 (the factory default) it works, if I change it to another value such as 192.168.100.1 Genie breaks, even if I manually enter the IP address in Genie.

I've given up because this seems like such as simple repro and should be straightforward to isolate, but I had radio silence from support for a while, then just messages asking for more phone call support.

I've burnt too much time trying to help Netgear to fix this, when I hardly use the Genie apps anyway.

I'm sticking to the web browser admin console.

And when I next get a new router I'll be looking to vendors other than Netgear...

Message 20 of 23
Shznav
Guide

How do I roll back the firmware ? Thanks for you helping out! I appreciate it
Message 21 of 23
Uha
Tutor
Tutor

I can't understand why the team of netgear not give us an update from time to time to understanding hoe big the problem is. I think it's better for anyone who is involved with this problem and it should be trying to hold their customers.
Message 22 of 23
mstang
Aspirant

Go to netgear.com and click on support.  Enter your router model and click on downloads.  There is a link for previous versions under the current downloads.  Download firmware version ending in .32

Connect to your router and click on Advanced tab, then click Administration and Router Update.  Click Browse and it will let you find the router firmware file you just downloaded.  Click upload (I don't remember if you need to click anything after that but it should be self-explanatory).

BR/Mike

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7