Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Genie won't install on Windows. Works fine on Mac.

SlowBro
Aspirant

Genie won't install on Windows. Works fine on Mac.

On two different Windows computers (Win7 64bit and Vista Business 64bit) Genie won't install. It installs and works just fine onto a Macbook with OS X Yosemite. I downloaded it fresh on both the Windows PCs, and on both I get a popup box. Title says, "NETGEAR Genie will be stopped." And the text of the popup says, "Current NETGEAR Genie will be stopped." There is an OK and Cancel button. Hit OK, it disappears. No longer running in Task Manager. (I do see it before I hit OK.)

I've never installed Genie on these computers before, so I have no idea what current Genie is being stopped? But I have had, at least on the Win7 system, OpenDNS updater. (Had an account prior to activating parental controls.) And I might have even installed that on the Vista box as well (don't recall).

I have Bitdefender for antivirus. It is up to date. Beyond that I can't think of anything which could block the app.

My router is a WNR1000v3 (Firmware Version V1.0.2.68_60.0.93NA).

Here's a screenshot. Please assist.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SlowBro,

You can try installing previous versions of the NETGEAR Genie and see if it works. You can use the download link below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=RL8aX3mVHN

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SlowBro,

Please make sure you add the NETGEAR Genie program on the security software's whitelist.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
SlowBro
Aspirant

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Pro 64bit on a third computer and had the same result when installing Genie. Per your suggestion I couldn't recall if it was before or after installing any security programs that I tried Genie. In any case I never get any popups saying malware was detected as I usually do when there's a program with malware within it.

So I uninstalled Norton and rebooted, this time no antimalware / antivirus, and it had the same effect. The box pictured above appears then the installer closes.

One unusual difference was the first time after uninstalling Norton I saw a countup percentage of unpacking the files that I never saw before. But when I re-ran the installer a second time (with no antivirus) that counter did not appear. Only the first time today after removing Norton and rebooting.

Message 3 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @SlowBro,

You can try installing previous versions of the NETGEAR Genie and see if it works. You can use the download link below.

http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=RL8aX3mVHN

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 6
SlowBro
Aspirant

NETGEARGenie-install_2.4.14.exe worked beautifully. I guess I won't upgrade for a while.

Message 5 of 6
SlowBro
Aspirant

Once the Genie had been running for a little while a message came up saying there was an upgrade available. I figured what the hay and installed it. It worked. Now I have the latest and greatest. Groovy.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7