Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help setting up my router

EJMack
Tutor

Help setting up my router

I'm having a hard time setting up this router to my IMAC computer. Every time I try to log into my routerlogin I keep getting the message: You are not connected to your WIFI router network. But I am. How else will i be able to type this message!  All the lights are showing internet and wifi on the router, but I can't login the webiste. Can someone assist me with this dilema. Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Do you have any other devices that provide Wi-Fi, such as a modem/router?  If yes, is your iMac connected to that Wi-Fi network instead of the Netgear's Wi-Fi?

Message 2 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Is the ethernet cable from the modem connected to the internet port of the router?

Can you give us the router model?

Also, can you let us know the IP address assigned to the mac (generally it will be 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x).  There is guide that includes mac pc's here: https://kb.iu.edu/d/aapa

Message 3 of 15
EJMack
Tutor

I had the ethernet cable connected from the router to the techicolor modem.

Message 4 of 15
EJMack
Tutor

I had the ethernet cable connected from the router to the techicolor modem.

Message 5 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Sigh, you haven't answered any of the questions.

Message 6 of 15
EJMack
Tutor

Router model: Technicolor TC8305C

IP 

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 7 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Ok, so we know, now, that your ISP modem has a built-in router.  Let's revisit the questions asked of you earlier.  Please answer them.

Is your iMac connected to the Technicolor's Wi-Fi network instead of the Netgear's Wi-Fi?

What is the model of your Netgear router?

You stated that the Netgear router is connected to the Technicolor but you didn't state which port on the Netgear is connected.  You were specifically asked whether the Internet port on the Netgear was connected.

What is the iMac's IP address?  It's a private IP address, so there's no harm disclosing this.

Message 8 of 15
EJMack
Tutor

The iMac is connected to the Technicolor's wifi network, not the netgear.  We haev a NetGear Nighthawk x6 AC3200 Tri-band wifi router.

The Netgear router is connected on port 1.  As far as out iMac's IP address, where would I find it?

Message 9 of 15
TheEther
Guru

@EJMack wrote:

The iMac is connected to the Technicolor's wifi network, not the netgear.  We haev a NetGear Nighthawk x6 AC3200 Tri-band wifi router.

routerlogin.com/routerlogin.net will only work when you are connected to the Netgear router in such a way that it can see the DNS query.  Since your iMac is connected to the Technicolor's Wi-Fi network, the Netgear will never see it.  You need to connect to the Netgear's Wi-Fi network.   Alternatively, connect the iMac to one of the Netgear's LAN ports.

The Netgear router is connected on port 1.

Did you set up the Netgear as an Access Point?  IOW, is Access Point (AP) mode enabled in the Advanced settings?  Alternatively, did you disable the DHCP server?

As far as out iMac's IP address, where would I find it?

One way is to option-clock the Wi-Fi symbol at the top right.   There's no need to provide this any more.  You've provided enough information about how your network is wired together.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@EJMack wrote:

The iMac is connected to the Technicolor's wifi network, not the netgear.  

You need to connect to the Netgear's wifi.  And you should turn the technicolor's wifi network off.

You have two choices here:

1. use the technicolor as the router, and use the x6 for wifi only.  
  2. use the x6 both for routing and for wifi.

Which option do you want to use?  (1) might be a bit simpler.

Message 11 of 15
William10a
Master

There was a issue very close this just a few days ago the answer there was the isp modem/router has the address of 192.168.1.1 and the netgears was 10.0.0.1 may be this will help in some way the poster called it a double nat.

Message 12 of 15
William10a
Master

Now I remember the person who posted was using fios modem/router and one of the master I think had the basic network setup.

Message 13 of 15
William10a
Master

Guru

Guru
StephenB

Re: "routerlogin.net" keeps saying I must be connected to my router's WiFi, even though I[ Edited ]

I also use FIOS.  If you are using FIOS and their cable TV, then you need to use their router first.  Their router is providing the program guide, video on demand to their set top boxes, and is needed with their DVR.

You connect the ethernet cable from the FIOS ONT to the FIOS router's internet/wan port.  Then connect a second ethernet cable from one of the FIOS router's LAN ports to the Netgear router's Internet port.  Then connect the PC ethernet to one of the Netgear router's LAN ports.

If you have this set up correctly, then you should be able to access the Netgear router's web page by entering http://10.0.0.1 in your web browser, and you should be able to reach the FIOS router by entering http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser.  You should also be able to reach the internet.

Using both routers back-to-back is called double-NAT.  It works, but some advanced features (like port forwarding) become more complicated to set up.  I use double-NAT myself, but if you wish you can turn off the routing features in the Netgear router by switching to "access point mode".  This means you'd use if tor wifi, but not for routing. There is a guide here:  https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s.... I recommend getting the double-NAT setup working first though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------quote

Remember from earlier this week sounds very close to this problem just a different isp supplied modem/router but the issue is very much like to other posting. 

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

There was a issue very close this just a few days ago the answer there was the isp modem/router has the address of 192.168.1.1 and the netgears was 10.0.0.1 may be this will help in some way the poster called it a double nat.

That would be me Smiley Surprised

The first option I listed was double nat (or back-to-back routing).  The second option isn't.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7