Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hidden Network

JoeUtica
Tutor

Hidden Network

I recently noticed a Hidden Network as well as my Netgear Network displayed. All the other networks in my neighborhood no longer display. This is true only on my laptop. All other devices laptops in the house show the neighbors networks and no hidden network. All laptops are Windows 10.

The connect automatically box is checked on the Hidden Network and even if I uncheck  the box it will come back as checked. The signal strength is identical to my Netgear network.

Can anyone explain what this is and if I have a problem.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you NOT broadcasting your SSID?

Message 2 of 10
JoeUtica
Tutor

I believe I am broadcasting my SSID.

Message 3 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JoeUtica,

Please verify if your SSID is being broadcasted or not by accessing the router UI and checking the wireless settings. Once you have confirmed that it is, you can try forgetting all the network/s on the laptop and try scanning for wireless networks again then reconnect to your wireless network.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

turn off the router if the hidden disappears then you'lll know

Message 5 of 10
JoeUtica
Tutor

Tuned off outer. Hidden Network still broadcasting.

Message 6 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Problem solved ? Not your router, anyone can turn off their SSID broadcast. As to why it shows up on one and not others could be settings and or signal strenght and device location. The new Hidden Network being at same signal strenght could be using same channel as neighbors and hiding them because of it's stronger signal.

If this is still a concern by an APP like INSSIDER to see what is going on in your area.

ssider.png

Message 7 of 10
JoeUtica
Tutor

Could it be the amazon fire stick? I unplugged it and the hidden network disappeared.

Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

yes

Message 9 of 10
JoeUtica
Tutor

Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors