Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Turn Off Anywhere Access Using Routerlogin.net?

cyberbiker
Guide

How to Turn Off Anywhere Access Using Routerlogin.net?

I am trying to turn off Anywhere Access on my RAX50. My iPhone is connected to it by WiFi. In the Nighthawk app it tells me I must connect locally to turn Anywhere Access off.

How do I connect locally using the iPhone? I do not have the ability to make an ethernet connection.

Is there a way to turn Anywhere Access off using routerlogin.net? The RAX50 User Manual says nothing about it.
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
cyberbiker
Guide

Re: How to Turn Off Anywhere Access Using Routerlogin.net?

Kitsap, unfortunately, the R9000 and the RAX50 are different. You probably saw the screenshots I posted in DSL reports with the error messages. As soon as I go to Settings-Anywhere Access and then try to turn off the toggle switch for Anywhere Access, the error message pops up. There are no hot links anywhere else on the page associated with the lines or elsewhere on the page.

I’ll try to send a message to support@netgear.com with the link to this thread. Netgear hasn’t provided specific written guidance for the Anywgere Access feature for the RAX50 in the user manual or elsewhere on the Support site. The info available applies to several models, but it doesn’t work for the RAX50. I seem to be up the creek without a paddle.

Thanks for your efforts. If I find a solution, I’ll post it in this thread.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 20

All Replies
Infinity121418
Aspirant

I also would like to restrict sign on to admin portal device use. That may be related

Message 2 of 20
cyberbiker
Guide

Have you even been able to find the setting for Anywhere Access on routerlogin.net?

When I open the Nighthawk App to Settings>Anywhere Access and attempt to turn off the toggle I get an error box that says:

“Anywhere access can not be turned off while you're connected remotely. Please connect locally to turn this feature off.”

1. Why would it not realize that my iPhone 13 is connected directly to the router by Wi-Fi?

2. Why does it think I am connected remotely?
Message 3 of 20
cyberbiker
Guide

Cannot Find the Setting for Anywhere Access in remotelogin.net RAX50

I have looked high and low to find the specific location of the setting for Anywhere Access on remotelogin.net. I’m using an RAX50 with the latest software update.

Does anyone have any ideas where the Anywhere Access setting is located?

The setting exists in the Nighthawk app, but it won’t let me turn off Anywhere Access because of the reasons in this message — https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33679511-Why-Does-RAX50-Think-My-iPhone-Is-Remotely-Instead-of-Loc...
Message 4 of 20
Kitsap
Master

On the phone, you might need to turn off the cell data connection so the only connection is through Wi-Fi.

The random MAC address feature on the iOS may be confusing the router as to who is connected.  Short term you may need to turn it off.

On my R9000, the setting is under the Advanced tab, Advanced Setup, Remote Management.

Message 5 of 20
cyberbiker
Guide

tried both but no joy. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I found an article in Netgear support - https://kb.netgear.com/20600/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-Remote-Management-on-my-NETGEAR-router - that suggested I might find the Anywhere Access setting at one of the following sub portions of routerlogin.net

On the BASIC Home page of routerlogin.net navigate to the Remote Management setting.
The location might differ depending on your router model and firmware version:
• ADVANCED > Remote Management
• ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Web Services Management
• Settings > Advanced Setup > Remote Management

The RAX50 routerlogin.net sub menus look like the second one above, however, Web Services Management had only three lines:

Web Services Management
Local Management:
[check box] Always use HTTPS to access router.

I have searched every other routerlogin.sub menu for Anywhere Access or Remote Management and have not been able to find either.

The Anywhere Access setting exists in the Nighthawk app, but it won’t let me turn off Anywhere Access because of the reasons in this message — https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33679511-Why-Does-RAX50-Think-My-iPhone-Is-Remotely-Instead-of-Loc...
Message 6 of 20
Kitsap
Master

Attempting to configure, troubleshoot, or manage a router via an application on a mobile device is a folly at best.  Otherwise you end up just where you are at.

Two other options.  Turn off the application on your phone and attempt to connect through a web browser on your phone.

The other option is to borrow a real computer or invite a friend over with a real computer and connect through a web browser over the Wi-Fi.

Message 7 of 20
cyberbiker
Guide

I’ve tried to find Anywhere Access or Remote Management in routerlogin without the Nighthawk installed on the iPhone at all. They don’t seem to exist for the RAX50 remotelogin version.

I’d be curious to see if someone else with an iPhone and the nighthawk app can actually turn anywhere access on and off or whether they get the same error. I do have a laptop, I just haven’t used it in several months. I stop carrying it when traveling and can do virtually everything I need with the iPhone. I’ll try a laptop, tablet, and android phones are safe and the nighthawk app will permit Anywhere Access to be disengaged.
Message 8 of 20

@cyberbiker wrote:
I’ve tried to find Anywhere Access or Remote Management in routerlogin without the Nighthawk installed on the iPhone at all. They don’t seem to exist for the RAX50 remotelogin version.

Remote Management and Anywhere Access are different things.

Anywhere Access is enabled by default. Unfortunately, while @Kitsap is right to advise you that that mobile app is not always the best way to manage your router, in the case of Anywhere Access that's the only option.

Why are you trying to disable Anywhere Access?

Message 9 of 20
Kitsap
Master

The question in the original post, Is there a way to turn Anywhere Access off using routerlogin.net?  The answer is no.

Like @michaelkenward says, Anywhere Access is a creature of the mobile application and the mobile application only.  (I am currently using Android V 2.26.0.2884)

From the opening page of the Nighthawk Application, go to the menu in the upper left corner.  Tap and the menu page shows connected via Anywhere Access.  Tap on the bar where it indicates connected via Anywhere Access.  The page that comes up shows a local connection is available on one option and that I am connected via Anywhere Access with the check mark.  Tap on the bar that indicates a local connection is available and the connection will switch, the screen will refresh.  The menu page now shows my R9000 is connected locally.  To switch back to being connected via Anywhere Access, close the application and restart.

To turn off Anywhere Access, use the process above to connect locally.  Go to the menu in the upper left corner, tap on Settings, and on the next page an Anywhere Access option shows.  Tap on the option and you will have a toggle switch to turn off Anywhere Access.

A series of screen shots is attached in a multi-page PDF file.

I normally find very little use for Anywhere Access and leave it disabled.

Message 10 of 20
cyberbiker
Guide

<< why="" are="" you="" trying="" to="" disable="" anywhere="" access="">>

Michael, I want to use the Traffic Meter feature. When I go to Nighthawk App>Traffic Meter and attempt to turn on the toggle, An error box (left frame in pic) says:

“This operation is not available using Anywhere Access.”

When I then go to l Nighthawk App>Settings>Anywhere Access and attempt to turn off the toggle, an error box (right frame) says:

“Anywhere access can not be turned off while you're connected remotely. Please connect locally to turn this feature off.”

I posted a screenshot of those error messages in dslreports.com at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33679511-Why-Does-RAX50-Think-My-iPhone-Is-Remotely-Instead-of-Loc... since we can’t post screenshots here.

It appears there’s not a way to switch to a local connection with the RAX50 once it is already set up. However, I’ve seen no information that indicates I can turn the feature off during initial setup, if I was to reset the router and start again.
Message 11 of 20
cyberbiker
Guide

Kitsap, unfortunately, the R9000 and the RAX50 are different. You probably saw the screenshots I posted in DSL reports with the error messages. As soon as I go to Settings-Anywhere Access and then try to turn off the toggle switch for Anywhere Access, the error message pops up. There are no hot links anywhere else on the page associated with the lines or elsewhere on the page.

I’ll try to send a message to support@netgear.com with the link to this thread. Netgear hasn’t provided specific written guidance for the Anywgere Access feature for the RAX50 in the user manual or elsewhere on the Support site. The info available applies to several models, but it doesn’t work for the RAX50. I seem to be up the creek without a paddle.

Message 12 of 20

@cyberbiker wrote:
<< why="" are="" you="" trying="" to="" disable="" anywhere="" access="">>

Michael, I want to use the Traffic Meter feature. When I go to Nighthawk App>Traffic Meter and attempt to turn on the toggle, An error box (left frame in pic) says:

“This operation is not available using Anywhere Access.”

When I then go to l Nighthawk App>Settings>Anywhere Access and attempt to turn off the toggle, an error box (right frame) says:

You need to be connected to the local wifi to use that feature. This shows as Connected Locally in the app. That's why you get that warning.

If you can't get the thing to connect locally – thanks to the iPhone's  funky way of protecting you –  this is where the advice from @Kitsap comes in. Use the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

• Advanced
  • Advanced Setup
  • Traffic Meter

michaelkenward_0-1685274381121.png

As to iPhone's dictatorial approach, this may be helpful:

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

Message 13 of 20
Kitsap
Master

@cyberbiker wrote:

Not clear from your response.  The error messages you are getting are expected as long as you are connected via Anywhere Access.  Suggest you re-read my post above where I describe how to switch from the Anywhere Access connection to a local connection. 

The differences you are coming up with are most likely due to you using the iOS application versus the Android application.

Message 14 of 20

@Kitsap wrote:

The differences you are coming up with are most likely due to you using the iOS application versus the Android application.

That's my assessment too.

In this case, talk of  turning off Anywhere Access is a red herring.

Leave it alone and enable traffic monitoring in the GUI.

Message 15 of 20

For the benefit of other users who may turn up here with a similar challenge, can you flag up which bit of this conversation qualifies as Solved?

Message 16 of 20
cyberbiker
Guide

SOLVED IN MESSAGE 9 OF THIS THREAD (I see how to give it kudos, but can’t see how to mark it as the solution).

stated in Message 9 of this thread —

“From the opening page of the Nighthawk Application, go to the menu in the upper left corner. Tap and the menu page shows connected via Anywhere Access. Tap on the bar where it indicates connected via Anywhere Access. The page that comes up shows a local connection is available on one option and that I am connected via Anywhere Access with the check mark. Tap on the bar that indicates a local connection is available and the connection will switch, the screen will refresh. The menu page now shows my R9000 is connected locally. To switch back to being connected via Anywhere Access, close the application and restart.

To turn off Anywhere Access, use the process above to connect locally. Go to the menu in the upper left corner, tap on Settings, and on the next page an Anywhere Access option shows. Tap on the option and you will have a toggle switch to turn off Anywhere Access.

A series of screen shots is attached in a multi-page PDF file.“

That worked Thanks, Kitsap.

Problem solved. My RAX50 is now connected locally each time I open it.
Message 17 of 20
Tobybishop
Aspirant

To turn off Anywhere Access on your RAX50 router using routerlogin.net, you can follow these steps:

1. Make sure your iPhone is connected to the RAX50 router's Wi-Fi network.

2. Open a web browser on your iPhone and enter "routerlogin.net" in the address bar. If that doesn't work, you can use the router's default IP address, typically "192.168.1.1" or "192.168.0.1". Press Enter to access the router's web interface.

3. You will be prompted to log in to the router. Enter the administrator username and password. If you haven't changed these credentials before, the default username is usually "admin," and the default password is either "password" or "admin."

4. Once logged in, navigate to the settings or configuration page where you can manage advanced features.

5. Look for a section or tab related to remote access or Anywhere Access. The exact location and wording may vary depending on the router's firmware version, but it is usually found under "Advanced" or "Remote Management" settings.

6. You should see an option to enable or disable Anywhere Access within the remote access settings. Toggle the setting to disable or turn it off.

7. Save the changes you made on the router's configuration page.

Following these steps, you can turn off Anywhere Access on your RAX50 router using routerlogin.net. Remember to disconnect any devices or services using Anywhere Access before disabling them.

Message 18 of 20
Tobybishop
Aspirant

1. Connect your computer or device to your router's network.
  2. Open a web browser and enter "routerlogin.net" or the router's default IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.1) in the address bar. Press Enter.
  3. You will be directed to the router's login page. Enter the administrator username and password. If you haven't changed them, the default credentials can be found in the router's manual or on the manufacturer's website.
  4. Once logged in, you should be on the router's dashboard or main settings page.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-ROOkhh2qyUw8R8cm2R08aEIFg-g2GVv9bbkbdvp50Y/edit?usp=sharing

Message 19 of 20

@Tobybishop wrote:

1. Connect your computer or device to your router's network.
  2. Open a web browser and enter "routerlogin.net" or the router's default IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.1) in the address bar. Press Enter.
  3. You will be directed to the router's login page. Enter the administrator username and password. If you haven't changed them, the default credentials can be found in the router's manual or on the manufacturer's website.
  4. Once logged in, you should be on the router's dashboard or main settings page.

Wrong. As this conversation shows, that will get nowhere near turning off Anywhere Access .

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7