Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to easily block a device from the network

Keeper7399
Guide

How to easily block a device from the network

Okay, there has to be away to kick a known device off your network.I need to block my son's laptop from the internet as form of punishment. I know which device is his, there has to be away to revoke network permissions or suspend them for a certain amount of time without having to shut down the whole network. I mean if you see the device on your network, why cant you shut it off, especially since you gave it the key...pls help

Message 1 of 15

What Netgear hardware do you have?

Message 2 of 15
Keeper7399
Guide

router R6300v2 firmware V1.0.4.8_10.0.77. I dont see how that matters...i should be able to turn off and turn on what and who is connected to my network right?

Message 3 of 15

router R6300v2 firmware V1.0.4.8_10.0.77. I dont see how that matters...

Different devices have different features. That's why they cost more.

It also helps to find the manual:

>>> R6300v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

How is this miscreant connecting to the network? Wireless? Wired?

If it is wireless, then it may be easier to set up a list of people who can access the network.

See page 99 of the manual. Just add the people you trust.

Message 4 of 15
Keeper7399
Guide

there are only 7 devices that have my passkey, every device is connected wirelessly. Im sorry its just frustrating because if we all netgenie and a network map we should be able to easily kick someone from the network using the security features of the app or from the network map from the main computer. I am looking for temp solution so that I dont have to physically take the computer away.

Message 5 of 15

Change the password and keep it to yourself.

Message 6 of 15

Enable "Parental controls".

Page 70 of the manual.

Message 7 of 15
Keeper7399
Guide

Parental controls only filters sites and changing the password means i will have to sign in on every device attached to my network. There has to be a more simple way.

Message 8 of 15
Keeper7399
Guide

i guess this router does not have access control, which is so lame. I am not going to pay 140 dollars for them to show me real quick how to block and unblock my son from accessing my network...this should be an easy option, you see an unknown device on your network, you should be able to just click on it and turn it off, you shouldnt have to pay 140 dollars to show how to work

Message 9 of 15

This is not an unknown device. It is one where you have given the user a password.

Access control lets you block unknown devices.

See my earlier message on how to use that.

Message 10 of 15
Keeper7399
Guide

my network is secure, can only acess it with the known passkey. My son is attached to this network. I want to block him from using his laptop to attach to the internet due to bad behavior. There should be away to view the network map and click on said laptop and deny access to the network and to grant access to the network on the fly. If anyone knows of a router that can do this please let me know. But again i dont know what this has to do with the router, software controls access. I dont want to have to change password for everyone and then have to go change the saved network password on each device except for my sons. because when we give him acess again and he loses it again, I will have to do the same thing all over again.

Message 11 of 15
Keeper7399
Guide

so i watched a video on setting up parental controls from the Netgear resource page and when they brought up the network map and clicked on a device there was a option for block. am i missing something?

Message 12 of 15
Keeper7399
Guide

I give up...this shouldnt be so hard to figure out.

Message 13 of 15
Billieanamanda
Aspirant

I need to know something? I have almost the same issue but mine is , I blocked my son one time from his phone.....well he went on his game found out the password which I changed (had to do it manually to all devices) and he added the same phone just with the different password we changed, now how could he have done that? When I already had his phone blocked???? I need to find a way to completely take that phone off!! I never gave him this phone, nor permission to have it! He is 13, already has ran away, just afraid he might do something an not no about it! Can SOMEONE PLEASE help me???
Message 14 of 15

What hardware are you using? The modem or router model number?

If he is using wifi, then you may be able to turn on Access Control and block devices using the Mac address of his phone.

Tell us the hardware you have and maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

Good luck! You may need it.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7