Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I cannot login to nighthawk with correct admin password

msnet
Guide

I cannot login to nighthawk with correct admin password

I cannot log into Nighthawk app of my smartphone using correct password. I checked my password by loging into Netgear account using Chrome browser. I checked that the password I used in the loging in process. It failed. What can I do. Thank you.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @msnet, welcome to the community! Is the device on iOS or Android? Does the issue persist even after reinstalling the app? Have you tried using another mobile device?

Dexter

Message 2 of 17
msnet
Guide

Thanks. My phone is pixel 3, an Android phone.

Message 3 of 17
msnet
Guide

No, I have not reinstalled the app. What happened was that I changed my phone to Pixel 3 only a month ago. I tried every which way other than reinstalling it. I will try to reinstall the app again and see what will happen.

Message 4 of 17
msnet
Guide

Hi Dexter,

I reinstalled the Nighthawk app. and tried to log in. But failed.

Message 5 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@msnet wrote:

I cannot log into Nighthawk app of my smartphone using correct password.

Here must be confusion again. Are you aware there are two different username and password? 

@msnet wrote:

Subject: I cannot login to nighthawk with correct admin password

I checked my password by loging into Netgear account using Chrome browser.

The admin acount and the password is used for the local authentication for the local router access.

The Netgear account can be used once the router is bound to the Netger cloud and associated to your Netgear account, or for example also for the Community access here, the https://my.netgear.com/ ...

The password for these is not the same.

Message 6 of 17
msnet
Guide

Off course I used my email address and the password for Netear to log into the Nighthawk app. Then, when the "user: admin" and was asked for local password. I inputed the local password. 

Message 7 of 17

@msnet wrote:

Off course I used my email address and the password for Netear to log into the Nighthawk app.

The "password for Net[g]ear" could be one of several things: MyNetgear, this Community or the "Remote Management" system, which goes through Dynamic DNS. Sometimes these use the same credentials, sometimes not.

The mobile apps rely on the third of these.

Of course, if you are using an app locally, the first login is to the wifi.

If the idea is to get into the router itself to change settings, then experienced users avoid the apps. They dive in locally with the browser graphical user interface (GUI). Alternatively, they use the desktop genie as a way in.

If you want the desktop genie for Windows start here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

You may have to dismiss an annoying pop-up that tries to push a mobile app down your throat.

Message 8 of 17
msnet
Guide

No, that is not where I had a problem with. I did not have any problem logging into Nighthawk app. After log into Nighthawk, the new page shows admin as the user and ask for the password. It says the defalut password is "password" so, I did. It failed. So, the next, I used the password I usually use to connect my Netgear to any device. It failed again.

Message 9 of 17

@msnet wrote:

...the password I usually use to connect my Netgear to any device.

What does that mean? What "device" is this?

What is "my Netgear"? Your router? (MyNetgear is something completely different.)

If it is the router, apart from a modem, you can't really "connect my Netgear to any device". It is the other way round. Things connect to the Netgear device.

If you mean, the password that you use to connect things to the Netgear router's wifi, that isn't going to work.

The password for the management graphical user interface (GUI), which is what the Nighthawk App is designed to do, is the one that starts with a default of password.

If you have changed that and forgotten the one you set, then you can try to use password recovery.

The only other way back in is to factory reset the R6700.

You could make life a bit easier by confirming what you are doing using a browser and a wired connection to your R6700.

Or you could used the genie app for your operating system. Get it here:

Nighthawk R6700 | AC1750 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

Going back to the start, can you tell us what you are trying to achieve through the app.

Apologies for all the questions. They are there partly because you are using terms in unusual ways that won't be familiar to everyone.

One more thought, you say you have the R6700. Read this:

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and this:

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

The first does not mention your device as supported the second says that you use the Netgear genie app to work with your router.

Maybe they have changed this in newer firmware.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 10 of 17
msnet
Guide

I received an email from Netgear that says an update for my Netgear Nighthawk router R6700v3 is available. Update as soon as possible.

So, I tried to use the Nighthawk app on my phone to update the router software.

I did not try to connect the router to my device. I tried to connect my device to wifi.

Message 11 of 17
msnet
Guide

I have not changed anything including the password.

Message 12 of 17

OK. The R6700 billed in your original "footer" is now the R6700v3. These are not the same thing. Not your fault. Easily done. The Netgear database is hopelessly out of date (something for @DexterJB to address) and does not provide a v3 option.

Is there any reason why you cannot connect to your R6700v3 through the other options I suggested?

Message 13 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@msnet wrote:

I received an email from Netgear that says an update for my Netgear Nighthawk router R6700v3 is available. Update as soon as possible.

That's the misleading Netgear communication: Netgear does (to my knowledge) _not_ collect information about the current firmware in place on _your_ router. They randomly run email campaigns when (security or feature relevant) firmware were released for the router model registered on your Netgear account. There are often complaints that users get these emails, but are already run the current firmware for weeks or months.

@msnet wrote:

So, I tried to use the Nighthawk app on my phone to update the router software.

Another Netgear marketing idea, notoriously unreliable, to do everything on a (very poor) App.

Message 14 of 17
msnet
Guide

Thank you for your answer, but I think I found out the reason.

I checked the original email that told me to update the firmware. It also says that if you are on the right firmware, you are all set. It was sent on August 24. I waited this long into update the firmware. When I tried to get more information by clicking the link I found on the email, the page did not even open.

I think either one of the two happened. One is my firmware is up to date and the other is that I waited too long so, Netgear does not let me to update. Because of one of these two reasons, the Nighthawk app did not let me log in. But then, I still want to know for which reason I could not log into the Nighthawk app.

Message 15 of 17

@msnet wrote:

I think either one of the two happened. One is my firmware is up to date and the other is that I waited too long so, Netgear does not let me to update.

Neither of those theories is likely.

Unless you did something about it, my guess is that the firmware is not up to date. You cannot know this if you cannot login with the app. In any case, the app is not always the best way to check if the firmware is up to date. The on-line check can miss newer updates.

Even if links in Netgear's emails expire, which is most unlikely, that too tells us nothing about the state of your firmware.

Here are two more theories

1. the firmware on your router is too old to support the Nighthawk App. That is a recent innovation that replaced the original Netgear genie app.
  2. The firmware on your router does support the Nighthawk app but it has a big that prevents you from logging in with the app.

Both of these have happened.

Earlier on, I suggested how you could sort out your problem: use a browser with a wired connection to your router. That is the most reliable and safest way of checking and updating firmware.

Is there any reason why you cannot just click this link and follow the instruction?

R6700v3 Firmware Version 1.0.4.82 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 16 of 17
msnet
Guide

Thank you very much. It looks like it takes some time, but I should be able to execute the update. By the way, last time I clicked on a different portion of the link.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7