Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet blocking for certain devices at specific times

lydiad
Follower

Internet blocking for certain devices at specific times

Hi,

I have been looking into possible solutions to automatically block internet access to kids computer and iPAD each night around 9PM. I have an ORBI and have Genie installed. Looks like the only way to do it is to go through parent control and use bypass account. It's just too much hassle for me as I have about 20 devices connected to ORBI and I don't want to spend a whole day just doing that.

Is this some feature that would be possible at all with Netgear? I am still in my returning window and if there's no other option of making it happen, I may just have to jump ship to Velop or Eero.

thanks!

Message 1 of 7
William10a
Master

@lydiad wrote:

Hi,

I have been looking into possible solutions to automatically block internet access to kids computer and iPAD each night around 9PM. I have an ORBI and have Genie installed. Looks like the only way to do it is to go through parent control and use bypass account. It's just too much hassle for me as I have about 20 devices connected to ORBI and I don't want to spend a whole day just doing that.

Is this some feature that would be possible at all with Netgear? I am still in my returning window and if there's no other option of making it happen, I may just have to jump ship to Velop or Eero.

thanks!

If you want to disable to all the devices at one time and they are wifi based  you could turn off the the routers wifi at the time you want and back on when you want. Every router is going have to be set up to block the devices you want no matter who makes it.

Message 2 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @lydiad,

The LPC (Live Parental Control) feature is currently not supported by the Orbi router.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 3 of 7
lydiad1
Tutor

I don't want to disable all devices at one time - I have lots of wifi based home automation devices that are dependant on the network so I can't just shut everything down.

From what I've heard so far, most other comparable products offer something that allows users to shut down Internet services to selected device at specific time. Why isn't that something Netgear invested in? For the folks with teens, it is more important than the speed.

Message 4 of 7
lydiad1
Tutor

I guess my quest6ion will be whether there is plan to add this feature in future firmware update. If there is, when can we expect?

Message 5 of 7
Cheeseinaz
Initiate

I'm looking for the same solution. I want to completely shut off internet access to my kids iPads on school nights at a specific time but keep the other 10 devices connected.  Why is this not a feature???    I know that they have parental controls with filtering levels but why wouldn't they add a feature that completely blocks Internet access entirely? FYI...I just returned the Velop mesh network system because even though they DO support this feature, even after working with their tech-support for over 10 hours we were never able to get it successfully working for more than just one day. If you do decide to get the Velop, I would suggest that you research this before you purchase it. 

Message 6 of 7
deke1223
Initiate

I have tried a few mesh systems prior to Orbi, and I may try more as I can still return it. Performance wise orbi seems to be solid, but the admin tools are terrible. Ubiquiti's Amplifi HD has the lead in terms of simple setup and adminstration. Overall very good performance but we have 5 boys , xbox's, smart tvs, etc....not typical. It allowed me to create a device profile and associate blackout periods for this profile. Super easy. Phone app was far more functionaly than orbi's which seems to only really do one thing, allow you to pause devices. Very dissappointed netgear...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7