Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there a password to change parental controls in Netgenie?

tman2586
Initiate

Is there a password to change parental controls in Netgenie?

I set up parental controls through the router, filtered through the OpenDNS account, and they are enabled. However, if anyone in the family opens the Netgenie app, they can disable parental controls, since there is no password (that I can find) that is required to make changes to parental controls. Am I missing something or can someone point me to the correct place to set a password on this app? Otherwise, I'll just delete the genie app and use the router command line to configure controls.

Thanks, Tman

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@tman2586 wrote:

I set up parental controls through the router, filtered through the OpenDNS account, and they are enabled. However, if anyone in the family opens the Netgenie app, they can disable parental controls, since there is no password (that I can find) that is required to make changes to parental controls.

Hi Tman,

Bet you are perfectly right - this ****. Appears the Parental Control is wide open form the macOS or Windows App. It allows even to be configured and enabled for everyone. Some Router Controls require authentication - and it is required unless the password is not left on the default:

Genie Login Required Router admin.PNG

...and Parental Control is not on the list. Strange design, completeley inconsistent @ElaineM or @JamesGL isn' it? 

@tman2586 wrote:

Otherwise, I'll just delete the genie app and use the router command line to configure controls.

The Netgear Genie Router Web Interface requires a login for the same.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@tman2586 wrote:

I set up parental controls through the router, filtered through the OpenDNS account, and they are enabled. However, if anyone in the family opens the Netgenie app, they can disable parental controls, since there is no password (that I can find) that is required to make changes to parental controls.

Hi Tman,

Bet you are perfectly right - this ****. Appears the Parental Control is wide open form the macOS or Windows App. It allows even to be configured and enabled for everyone. Some Router Controls require authentication - and it is required unless the password is not left on the default:

Genie Login Required Router admin.PNG

...and Parental Control is not on the list. Strange design, completeley inconsistent @ElaineM or @JamesGL isn' it? 

@tman2586 wrote:

Otherwise, I'll just delete the genie app and use the router command line to configure controls.

The Netgear Genie Router Web Interface requires a login for the same.

Message 2 of 3
tman2586
Initiate

Thank you for the response. You are correct, the router settings section does require a login, which is odd, since the parental controls is wide open for anyone to disable.... poor design.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7