Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there firmware update that allows readyshare password to be different than router admin password?

najevi
Aspirant

Is there firmware update that allows readyshare password to be different than router admin password?

NIghrhawk X6 R8000

• If you are using a firmware version later than mine (V1.0.4.28_10.1.54) would you please test to see whether or not the READYSHARE feature allows you to protect Read AND Write access for any created network folder using a password other than the so-called "admin password"?

Background

As you know, the Firmware release notes provide almost no useful detail about each firmware version.

In all but one aspect, I am content with my router's function using firmware version V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

After that version certain features were removed, so I am reluctant to upgrade firmware unless a very specific fix has been implemented.

The READYSHARE facility for attaching up to 2 USB storage devices and then creating shared network folders allows for password protection on read OR write access; however, the only password that may be specified is the SAME admin password that also gives access to the GUI for any (and all!) router configuration settings.

• Clearly it is not wise to allow _all_ users to tweak the router configuration and yet you very well may want all users to have read access (though perhaps not write access) to a network folder hosted by the router.

Furthermore, the READYSHARE feature silently applies restrictions on what ASCII characters in that admin password are recognised by SMB authentication. So it is possible to use a very secure password (e.g. 123Abc!@# ) to restrict access to the router admin GUI but then READYSHARE password access silently breaks because READYSHARE silently fails to recognize special characters in a password ... even though the router configuration GUI does recognize those characters in its admin password. READYSHARE works OK if an alphanumeric password is used.

This known bug is described clearly in my reply at:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Admin-Password-Doesn-t-Work-for-USB-readyshare-drive/...

So, if you are using a firmware version later than mine (V1.0.4.28_10.1.54) would you please test to see whether or not the READYSHARE feature allows you to protect Read AND Write access for any created network folder using a password other than the so-called "admin password"?

Thank you.

Router Version R8000

Firmware Version V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

Same behavior for either:

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit) 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362

Browser Firefox 76.0.1 (64-bit)

or:

Browser: DuckDuckGo 5.129.1

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies