Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Mac OS Genie issues - OpenDNS Bypass User

eric_n_dfw
Aspirant

Mac OS Genie issues - OpenDNS Bypass User

It seems that in order to use the OpenDNS User Bypass functionality of my new N6250 router, I have to use the Genie application. Unfortunately, the latest downloadable version of that tool for Mac OS X is v 2.3.1.14 and it exhibits extremely high CPU utilization even when it's idle in the background.

Other discussion threads indicate that a similar situation was possibly fixed in a newer version of Genie, and, sure enough, the application reports that a newer version is available. However, when you download the application it is the same 2.3.1.14 version.

Is there a fix for this CPU utilization issue for Mac OS and, if so, where can I download it?

If not, is there any way to utilize the OpenDNS Bypass User functionality without using Genie?

Message 1 of 7
XMB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you not just make the change by logging into the router:

http://www.routerlogin.net/
Message 2 of 7
eric_n_dfw
Aspirant

No, the "Bypass User", functionality is not exposed in the web management pages; it is only in the Genie application. (I wish it were though)
Message 3 of 7
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Configuration before for bypass account to work needs to have a bypass utility which is no longer available in NETGEAR site. The only way to use it is to use the Genie.
Message 4 of 7
eric_n_dfw
Aspirant

It's just unfortunate that the Genie application has the high CPU utilization bug. Hopefully Netgear will release a fix for this soon.
Message 5 of 7
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I guess the reason why it has high CPU utilization because of many functionality.
Message 6 of 7
eric_n_dfw
Aspirant

minions08 wrote:
I guess the reason why it has high CPU utilization because of many functionality.

Um. No. A process pegging an entire core and then having to be force killed to stop screams endless loop to me.

I have decided to return this router as it has too many problems:
1. Genie app causes high cpu and had to be force-killed to quit on Mac OS X
2. No way to use OpenDNS User Bypass without Genie app
3. Apple AirPlay is blocked between wireless and wired devices (documented in various other threads)
4. USB Printer sharing rarely works
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7