Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Genie *Virus*

Walley
Follower

NETGEAR Genie *Virus*

I just upgraded the Netgear Genie through its user interface after installation was completed Symantec popped up with a virus. :eek:

Filename: NETGEARGenie.exe
Risk: Suspicious.Cloud.5
Action: Quarantined
Risk Type: Heuristic Virus

So here is my question. Why? :confused:

Message 1 of 4
randallhill
Aspirant

Re: NETGEAR Genie *Virus*

Same with me NetgearGenie v2.3.1.46...NIS 2014 blocked the update install exe file as "suspicious cloud.5. I disabled anti-virus auto-protect was able to install the update, but when I run NG, NIS gives me a "threats detected" message, also NG doesn't run correctly, can't log into router R6300v2 or access ReadyShare USB drive. Guess I'll uninstall the update and reinstall the previous version.
Message 2 of 4
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

A heuristic analysis is intended to trap viruses that have not previously been encountered, the method will basically look for actions that appear like those of a virus using a set of rules and weighting algorithms. In some cases the application of those rules can lead to a false positive, the indication of a potential virus where there is none, and it would normally be up to the end user to confirm or deny that assessment. You should have been presented with an option to disregard the warning and allow access. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic_analysis
Message 3 of 4
JamesBond014
Novice

2.31.46 would install on my Vista laptop but would not even start. So what would AVG or security essentials need an an exception to allow it to run.:mad:
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7