Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR USB Control Center macOS High Sierra

AMCL
Guide

NETGEAR USB Control Center macOS High Sierra

Hi everybody,

After updating to macOS High Sierra, USB Control Center stopped working.

It complains about “installation could not be completed” and suggest a reinstallation, but neither a reinstallation nor a fresh one work.

I wonder if I am doing something wrong or maybe High Sierra is simply not supported yet...

Could you please help me? Thanks in advance!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 52

Accepted Solutions
emjaay
Guide

Message 46 of 52

All Replies
emjaay
Guide

Having the same issue on MacOS High Sierra . Tried uninstalling and installing again but in vain . Following error if i try manually from console ,

/Applications/NETGEAR/NETGEAR\ USB\ Control\ Center.app/Contents/MacOS/NETGEAR\ USB\ Control\ Center ; exit;
[Info] Software Version: 1.02.71
2017-09-29 11:10:06.830 NETGEAR USB Control Center[68096:1199139] Mac Version: 10.13.0
2017-09-29 11:10:06.830 NETGEAR USB Control Center[68096:1199139] main
2017-09-29 11:10:06.831 NETGEAR USB Control Center[68096:1199139] GetIPAddressesByOTA
2017-09-29 11:10:06.831 NETGEAR USB Control Center[68096:1199139] MacIPAddress=127.0.0.1
2017-09-29 11:10:06.831 NETGEAR USB Control Center[68096:1199139] MacIPAddress=10.67.120.34
[NetUSB] IOServiceGetMatchingServices err: 0
[NetUSB] IOServiceOpen err: 268435459
NetUSBInit() failed!
2017-09-29 11:10:06.837 NETGEAR USB Control Center[68096:1199139] ThisLanguage: en-IN
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
[Info] Mac Version: 10.13.0
2017-09-29 11:10:06.926 NETGEAR USB Control Center[68096:1199139] [Info] Mac Version: 10.13.0
PlayToPC = 0, PlayToWAA = 1
WAAThreadStart Start

Please give a fix soon..

Message 2 of 52
RRM855
Apprentice

I have the same problem. Now to wait (forever?) for an update?

Message 3 of 52
Bwhast
Initiate

I am having the same difficulty, and suspect that everyone ungrading to High Sierra will find that the Netgear USB Control Center is dead in the water. Is it perhaps not a 64 bit application?

Hope that the Netgear folks understand that this is a general problem for many thousands of users, and will try to upgrade it for us.

Message 4 of 52
Bwhast
Initiate

Maybe the Netgear USB Control Center is not needed in High Sierra!!

Since posting here a couple of days ago to say that I, too, was unable to use the USB Control Center in High Sierra, I deleted it (using the uninstall program included with it) and rebooted. Then, just for the hey of it, I checked to see if I could connect my printer without it. Son of a gun, my printer was now listed as a Bonjour option for installation! I installed it, and it is working fine!

Message 5 of 52
emjaay
Guide

Great !! Gonna try this right away
Message 6 of 52
AMCL
Guide

Nice finding, definitely it is possible to print using Bonjour but...  you stil need USB control center to use, i.e, the scanning function of a MFP.

I wonder when somebody from Netgear will give us a solution, or at least an explanation... 

Message 7 of 52
RRM855
Apprentice

Did not work as well for me. I still have a crippled color laser printer using this method, i.e., no means to access printer controls, only prints in B&W, etc. Now I am stuck plugging my printer into my Macbook USB every time I want to print.

Message 8 of 52
vc_stargazer
Guide

yes, same issue here

Netgear - please dont take another 2 years to update the app!

Message 9 of 52
RRM855
Apprentice

Does anybody know how to bring it to Netgear's attention since I do not know how aggressively they monitor user forums, especially for Mac OS issues? I just thought the more times it is raised may provide some impetus to to do something. I do not see any means to do this besides through support. My support services expired and it does not seem worth buying extended support since they explicitly say they provide support for Windows only.

BTW: I only bought the Netgear R6400 since one review stated it was compatible with Apple TimeMachine external drive formats. Of course I could never get that to work like advertised so have an external drive now attached directly to my Macbook Pro for TimeMachine to work. I never imagined the USB printer support would also be an issue. I am on the verge of chucking the Netgear equipment and starting over. I got rid of Apple Time Capsule because the wifi was so weak.

Message 10 of 52
AMCL
Guide

I can not believe it: Netgear, don't you have anything to say after a week? I

Message 11 of 52
vc_stargazer
Guide

it took them almost 2 years to release one for el capitan

Message 12 of 52
AMCL
Guide

Two years!! I see...

Netgear, I bought your router because macOS was supported, but now I see I was wrong.

Have you considered releasing the USB Control Center code as open source? I am sure that it will not take two years to release an update to the most lazy OS community.

Message 13 of 52
vc_stargazer
Guide

has anyone contacted netgear about this?

Message 14 of 52
papa43
Tutor

Re: NETGEAR USB Control Center on mac OS High Sierra 10.13, not working, works on Win 10 machine

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 15 of 52
Gentilly
Tutor

YES !! You're right ! Same thing for me. However, my scanner is not working since High Sierra.

Message 16 of 52
RRM855
Apprentice

Yes, One always expects glitches on major OS updates. But these are typically rapidly resolved. For every other peripheral device I own, they are ahead of the game and anticipating the release. There is always new software for my devices for the Mac OS update. Not true with Netgear. I do not anticipate this being addressed any time soon if at all. Makes no sense that one of the big 3 router companies does not have the ability to do this. Now I have my printer plugged into my USB port of my MacBook Pro. I will dump Netgear equipment and change to another brand router. It is not worth the hassle for what are essentially cheap pieces of hardware.

Message 17 of 52
dma123
Aspirant

Same problem here. Hope that MacOS 10.13.1 will change something, maybe it’s caused by an issue in the OS. Otherwise, if everyone who reads this thread contacts support directly, maybe they will see it‘s easier to fix this than answering hundreds of support requests.

Message 18 of 52
RRM855
Apprentice

My understanding is that Netgear charges subscription fees to access support services. I would hate to do that only to be told there is no fix and that one simply has to wait for them to get around to making the fix. Hardly seems worth it.

Message 19 of 52
Gentilly
Tutor

Now, Netgear USB Control Center is not needed in High Sierra!!

I was unable to use the USB Control Center in High Sierra. I uninstall it and rebooted. I checked to see if I could connect my printer without it. My printer was now listed as a "Bonjour" option for installation! I installed it, and it is working fine!

@RRM855 wrote:

Yes, One always expects glitches on major OS updates. But these are typically rapidly resolved. For every other peripheral device I own, they are ahead of the game and anticipating the release. There is always new software for my devices for the Mac OS update. Not true with Netgear. I do not anticipate this being addressed any time soon if at all. Makes no sense that one of the big 3 router companies does not have the ability to do this. Now I have my printer plugged into my USB port of my MacBook Pro. I will dump Netgear equipment and change to another brand router. It is not worth the hassle for what are essentially cheap pieces of hardware.

Message 20 of 52
RRM855
Apprentice

Where is it listed as a Bonjour option for installation without the utility? I did not understand your sequence of steps.

Message 21 of 52
emjaay
Guide

AFAIK there is no special menu for bonjour . When you go to ' System Preferences' >> ' Printers and Scanners ' - You printer will be listed by detecting over the network 

However i couldnt access scanner that way..

Message 22 of 52
Gentilly
Tutor

@emjaay wrote:

AFAIK there is no special menu for bonjour . When you go to ' System Preferences' >> ' Printers and Scanners ' - You printer will be listed by detecting over the network 

However i couldnt access scanner that way..

Right. I don't see my Epson Scanner on the listing of Printers & Scanners. I don't know why.

Message 23 of 52
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

Let me check on this.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 24 of 52
onewarmline
Tutor

Same -- the already-terrible Netgear USB control app is now completely non-functional following upgrade to OS10 High Sierra. 

It would be really nice if Netgear would take the time to make the router's USB functionality accessible for Mac users, in a way that doesn't involve a shockingly buggy app that looks like something from the 1990s. C'mon.

Anyway, what did you find out from Netgear? 

thx

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7