Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Apps (Nighthawk vs Genie)

Chicago-MM-01
Initiate

Netgear Apps (Nighthawk vs Genie)

I have an R8000P and an older WNDR 4500 n900 router. I’ve used the Genie app for years. Just became aware of the Nighthawk app. Does Nighthawk replace Genie? Do I need both? Or just one of them?
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
IrvSp
Master

What Netgear App? For what system?

Do you mean Netgear UP? Does about the same as Genie, but is more for setting up the router the first time. Only for Android and iOS devices, and with that you can setup the router via wireless.

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp Up! was replaced (renamed) as Nighthawk App. Awful usability and careless UI colouring carried forward regardless.

Message 3 of 9
IrvSp
Master

I didn't look at it recently on my iPad, yes, you are correct. I prefer Genie over it. Mostly duplicated function.

Interestingly I just bought an R8000. Has a sticker on for Netgear UP. It had to be a new manufacture as the shipped firmware was V1.0.4, the one prior to the latest. The release notes for it were from Nov. 2017, so it had to be changed after that. I see on D/L's for the R8000 they have changed the name there as well. Sorry about that.

I noticed on my R8000's sticker that it is called the 'Installation App' and only that you get it at the Android or Apple store. Seems like with that app you can setup the router wirelessly? I thought setup was always to be done wired, especially if the setup detects a firmware update and CAN d/l and install it?

Message 4 of 9

It may depend on your hardware and the firmware version it runs. The Nighthawk app may not support some older devices.

Try it and see.

Message 5 of 9
mkkao924
Aspirant

From the iTunes description, looks like Genie can only control the router within home network, but Nighthawk can control remotely? I have not tried either as I am so confused what app to download.

Message 6 of 9

I have both installed on my Androids.

Message 7 of 9
Chicago-MM-01
Initiate

I have the Genie app on my iPhone (not the Nighthawk app).  I can remotely access my R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 router with Genie.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@MilesSmith wrote:

Yeah i have got the same issue,dont know whats casuing it. Either its with the app or with the firmware version. I dont think anything is wrong with the hardware.

What issue please? Beyond of the confusion of two Apps I can't find any issue caused by app or firmware. Open a new thread or search for a current forum thread on a similar problem to yours.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7