Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie App for Android - Login Remote access - No Internet connection detected.

Re: Netgear Genie App for Android - Login Remote access - No Internet connection detected.

Support got back to me with what I think may be the answer to the problem, but I didnt have time to test it last night. I will try tonight, but am posting it here so you guys can give it a go:

"1. Have you created the remote login?

Please refer to the link below:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26844 "

So basically it seems like it needs you to create a login for remote login first before it works. You login with the app while connected to router at home, register it, and then the app should work. IT sounds like a very weird extra step to need because I have used other routers and their remote login apps and registering your router while logged in at home, wasnt a step that was needed. It was automatic. But I experienced something similar with readycloud for this router. It wouldnt see the router until I logged in from home and registered it to be used with readycloud (that was another mess as it was aksing for my username and I had nothing but my email when I would register, but it wouldnt accept that and when requesting to retrieve my username, it would say that one wasnt found with that email. Created another account with a different email, same thing. And then, in one of the dozens of clicks, it just accepted the email as the username).

Anyway,

Im going to try that tonight and see if that works. Report here if anyone succeeds sooner.

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 26 of 85

Boston, it sounds like you have not had remote Genie working in the past. I went through the steps above to set it up and it worked until last week. I have since deleted all settings and cache and updated the app. Then went through all the steps above again. Unfortunately, I still only have local access using the Genie App. I only get the "No Internet connection detected" error when attempting remote login.
Message 27 of 85

You are right. I never had it working.

I will try this step and report back to support and if it doesnt work, see where it goes from there and report back here. I purchsased the router on Amazon prime day. Set it up, logged in with the app in the house and it worked fine and then tried to login remotely when I was at work and it failed. Made no sense as ive mentioned other routers from other brands never had any extra steps required to "register" the router. Once you would log in with their app, everything was done automatically. Remote managment, file server, everything. And these were routers that cost 1/4th of the price of this router. However, readycloud works a lot better than anything ive had before...when i finally got it working, my speeds at home are insanely better, wired and wirelessly, signal is better, and the gui and options to manage are great. I just didnt expect these issues.

I also didnt expect that the vpn service would be so crappy. My previous Asus router worked great as VPN server and I figured a router that cost this much more, would have a better vpn service...

Message 28 of 85
Yner
Guide

I don't think this is the issue. This was working fine and now it doesn't. Will this get resolved here or do we have to call?
Message 29 of 85

You guys were right. Registering the router wasnt the issue. The application didn't even get in to see if the router was registered. It just displays, no connection. I replied to support. I suggest everyone open a ticket for this issue, so they know it's important.

I will update with their response
Message 30 of 85
spinninfree
Guide

Update....

Had a call from support and they took what pertinent information was needed for now.  They advised that they had duplicated the issue and are in the process of getting their engineers any and all needed info to hopefully help decifer the problem currently being exhibited by the app.  

Will be anxiously awaiting this, very much user valued, feature of the Genie app!    

Message 31 of 85

Same here.

It was working the last time I tried it, checked it today and it's not working.

If I connect via wifi at home and then launch Genie and select At Home option - I can get it (although my password was changed).  If I now launch the Network Map it will display the network, but all the configuration is now missing (all icons are set to defaults).

For an expensive bit of kit you would think they would have this working now, if their engineers manage to **bleep** this up - what would they do to the firmware in the routers?

Message 32 of 85

Still waiting for a response from support. In a few days I will follow up with them

Message 33 of 85
SPeppercorn
Aspirant

This is a serious issue - and breaks the very functionality I rely upon.

To Netgear: Could we please have a response, regarding the expected date of rectification? This is not a good look for you.

Message 34 of 85
Chiefweasel
Aspirant

Same here in the UK using the HD nighthawk six. Magic access on the house, zero remotely.
Message 35 of 85
Chiefweasel
Aspirant

Ignore "HD" above, i should read my swipe text before submitting...
Message 36 of 85

worst part..still no reponse but today I received an email to rate the support I have received from Netgear....I havernt received support yet as my issue remains unsolved and they reccomnded to try something that would not even begin to resolve the issue. It seems like they arent erven looking at their own forums to address this.

Model: Genie|Desktop| Mobile| and Product Setup Genie
Message 37 of 85
Chiefweasel
Aspirant

i just tried logging on remotely but in my home wifi network using a laptop (as opposed to androids) and was told my password was incorrect.  it works on the home setting just not remote - i wonder if we need to create a separate password/login for remote.  will have a play around and report back if it works.

Message 38 of 85
Jorge0074
Aspirant

I being trying to remote control my smart router with my android phone, it works great the first days, then it just keep showing that I don't have internet connection. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

Message 39 of 85
John6969
Tutor

So....for those who are not aware, another option is to enable direct remote management on your router and then access it through a webpage. This is not as easy to use as the Genie app but at least it works - sometimes. I had intermittent luck accessing my router remotely using the router's world-facing IP address and enabling remote management on the router. Learn how to do this here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20600/related/1

I found I needed to power-cycle my router before it would work so YMMV.

Still hoping they will get the app to work......

Message 40 of 85
RPEscue81
Guide

Hi,

I also have the same problem with the Android App.  It worked fine when I first set up the system, but when they changed to version 2.4.34 in July this feature stopped working.  I have however found that the PC version of the app works very well for remote access when I leave my office.  I have a phone call from a support expert this afternoon and hopefully we will get some action to clear up the problem.

Message 41 of 85
spinninfree
Guide

Received this today - and unfortunately it would appear that one hand, does not know what the other hand is doing to solve this very valuable and cherished function for one of their flagship routers.  I replied to hopefully prompt this support person to contact engineering and possibly have an update or something to indicate that this problem has not just been slid into file 9 and forgotten, until someone else brings it up again and it is once again duplicated by engineering and forgotten, again?  

A bit frustrated with this unexpectedly lost feature and critical selling point for my purchase.  

Hi spinninfree,

This is regarding my previous response to your online case. It has been a few days since our last correspondence. Please provide us with an update to your case, so that we may continue to work on your issue if there is still a problem. If there is no response from you soon, your case will be closed due to inactivity.

It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Regards,

John
Expert ID: 8312
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert

Message 42 of 85
boltman34
Aspirant

Same issue on My S6 and Tab S2. 

Message 43 of 85
Xdaveox
Guide

Same issue here s4
Message 44 of 85

I opened yet another ticket with support. They closed the last one July 21st saying it was being forwarded to an appropriate team. I think they filled it in the bin cabinet.
Message 45 of 85

It's been over one month of this not working.
I noticed an update pushed through yesterday but I still get the no internet connection error when remote login is attempted with this app.

Local login still works.
Message 46 of 85

Maybe we should all do that.
Message 47 of 85

if they are bombarded by tickets from every user in this forum..and a second or third when they close one by saying the request was forwarded..they will have to fix it..this isnt something that affects 1 or 2 users..its everyone who uses the app....im going to the play store now to give it 1 star..everyone who uses it should do that as well.

Message 48 of 85

after the 1 star rating, I also emailed them directly on the email posted on their app listing:

Contact netgeargenie@netgear.com for issues.

I would suggest everyone do this. The more people concerned, the more reason they have to address this.

Message 49 of 85

Just been on the phone to UK Tech Support - who transferred me through to North America tech support.

After an initial "I''m not paying for this as you broke it and it's perfectly within my rights to return the item as it's not as advertised, and besides which - I paid for it on my credit card so I'm protected by them" argument.

The nice bloke at Netgear tried to sort this - we installaed the Windows Net Genie app and uninstalled / reinstalled the Android Net Genie app - he has escalated it to 2nd level tech support.

According to their tech support Netgear have a fix for this and it's been sent along to their engineering team for checking.  No date as to release yet.

Message 50 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7