Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Genie App loads excessively large

Byren
Aspirant

Netgear Genie App loads excessively large

Netgear Genie used for ProSafe Gigabit Dual WAN SSL VPN Firewall (FVS336Gv3) and the Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000)

Back story: I did a clean reset of my PC for Windows 10 last April to get UEFI to work and to fix some bugs (it hadn't updated Win10 since the July 2015 upgrade). We used to use the R8000 for phones and tablets (Netgear 16-port switches in the rooms for games/movies) until it bricked a month ago.

We still use the FVS336Gv3 so I decided to reinstall the Netgear Genie app. It installed fine with no hiccups, but when I run the app, it looks like this:

Hulk (Genie) Smash!

I saw many help requests on Google for "Netgear Genie font too small" but found nothing for "Netgear Genie too big." Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you for any assistance in this matter.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Jantlotus,

The program has not been updated to be DPI-aware yet. However there is a workaround provided on another thread that may work. The steps are indicated below.

1. Exited Netgear Genie (by rightclicking the tray icon and choosing exit)

2. Went to my "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Appdata\Local\NETGEARGenie\" folder

2. Opened the config.ini file in this folder with Notepad

3. Changed the third line so that it reads:

screen_resolution=1920*1080

4. Saved and closed the file.

5. Right-clicked the config.ini file, opened the properties and made it read-only

6. Opened Genie and it's looking normal!

The link is indicated below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/Netgear-Genie-2-4-26-Huge-Window-Size-Windows-10/td-p/1077472...

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Byren,

Have you tried adjusting the compatibility settings? You can right click on the app icon then select Properties > Compatibility > check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 11
RDT64
Initiate

The Netgear problem hit me tonight right after I ran the update.  I'm running a 3 24" monitor display at 5760x1080 resolution and my NetGear window is so large it occupies half my real estate horizontally and vertically a full 1/3 of the app window is off screen.  I've tried every option in the compatability options to no effect.  Help?

Message 3 of 11
hollanddirk1
Aspirant

My screen resolution is 5760x1200 (eyefinity 3x 1920x1200) and the newly installed Netgear Genie application is too large vertically for my screen. It appears there is no H or V scaling for the application at all. As it is, only certain parts of the application are useable. This needs to be fixed asap.

None of the compatibilty settings affect this condition.

This is a source issue.

Message 4 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi all,

Please try running the app in compatibility mode for Vista and check if it works. As it stands, it is not yet programmed to be DPI-aware.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 11
hollanddirk1
Aspirant

The latest/ current version does not scale correctly no matter what compatibility settings are used. The first version I installed did and still does if I uninstall the latest version, and install the older version. I also see I am not the only one with a triple wide screen to have this problem.
Message 6 of 11
RDT64
Initiate

I've tried everything with no change and for the record, the interface scaled just fine until the most recent update.

Message 7 of 11
Devonbiker
Tutor

Having same problem here. I have just bought a Nighthawk AC3200 R8000. Installing the Negear Genie was OK until it updated to version 2.4.26

I've tried the campatibilty settings but no change. My monitor resolution is 2560 x 1440 on Windows 10.

I agree, this is a bug in the software or bad development by Netgear.

Message 8 of 11
Devonbiker
Tutor

Screenshot

Netgear Genie Large.jpg

Message 9 of 11
Jantlotus
Guide

Is it possible to download a version of Netgear Genie for those people who still have their eyesight intact? Have read everything about this problem and tried every mentioned solutions, but still no help. Monitor setup is 5760x1080 on Windows 10

20170208_131821.jpg

Message 10 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Jantlotus,

The program has not been updated to be DPI-aware yet. However there is a workaround provided on another thread that may work. The steps are indicated below.

1. Exited Netgear Genie (by rightclicking the tray icon and choosing exit)

2. Went to my "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Appdata\Local\NETGEARGenie\" folder

2. Opened the config.ini file in this folder with Notepad

3. Changed the third line so that it reads:

screen_resolution=1920*1080

4. Saved and closed the file.

5. Right-clicked the config.ini file, opened the properties and made it read-only

6. Opened Genie and it's looking normal!

The link is indicated below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Genie/Netgear-Genie-2-4-26-Huge-Window-Size-Windows-10/td-p/1077472...

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7